Raedon 6870 installation issues

ramus313

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
i am having issues installing the mentioned gpu. i am replacing the 4650 with the 6870. i but it in the computer, and when i turn t on, i hear the fans of the gpu running very load (i have the dual-fan edition). however, i get no response from the monitors. when i connect one of the monitors into the integrated graphics, the monitor works fine. i searched this problem, and it said i needed to disable onboard graphics. so i ran windows 7 through onboard graphics and disables it via the device manager. when i restarted still the fans for the gpu were running very loud, but i got no response. i plug the monitor into the onboard graphics and it works fine but it automatically goes into a much lower resolution. when i put the disc for the gpu driver in, it doesnt recognize the gpu. this makes me think i installed it incorrectly, however it seems like it is installed correctly because the fans are working on the gpu.

i have the GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 AM3+ AMD 880G USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

p.s i cant find how to disable onboard graphics from the BIOS, under "integrated peripherals", there is nothing about the graphics

p.s.s i have a 750 w psu so the power is not an issue

thank you so much for your help

Check the card and the slot to ensure there is nothing that looks wrong with either -- then place the card back in and make sure it goes into the slot properly and fully seats (sometimes the card is in but not secure) - go into the BIOS and make sure the PCI-e slot is selected as the primary video at boot -- also make sure you have the proper plugs coming from the PSU to the card and that they are securely fastened - then make sure the monitor cable is properly secure as well (perhaps try a different connector if there are more than one on the card) or try using your 4650 card and see if it works properly (unless that is a mistype and you meant the onboard 4250) -- Pretty much go step by step and ensure everything is correct and then test.

For disabling the onboard -- look at page 40 in your manual -- it discusses the Bios option you need --- IGX configuration) and set disabled under the Internal Graphics Mode (options are UMA or Disabled) -- Then go to page 47 - 49 and under ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES find the bottom line ( Init Display First ) and change that to PEG (PCI-e Graphics)

Yes there will be a couple 6 pin adapters that you need to connect to the card from the PSU -- without them the card can not get enough power to run and will not run - fans will spin since they get enough power from the PCI-e slot but the card needs the aux power !) (but you should be getting a constant beeping from the system speaker (unless you do not have one connected) that would be letting you know something is wrong -- which is why you should always have a system speaker attached so that it can BEEP out any BIOS errors to aide in troubleshooting !)

ramus313

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
ok worry to triple post but now i am having issues with the drivers. windows loads at an extremely low resolution, then i try to isntall drivers, but it the program on the disc freezes everytime