AMD Processor

Well, I love my 8120 but it seems to me you are looking at 125W part or 95Watts. So I'd pick the 6 core with the lower TDP for power savings. I haven't seen benchmarks on these yet, but I assume they preform as the other bulldozers.

You didn't mention what the main uses for this PC would be but most software currently is not designed to use more than 6 threads, so the six core would be a good choice.

ceejay93

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
well gaming mainly, and i do quite a bit of multitasking :)

avoiding the 8000 range due to wishing to spend more on a GPU as opposed to CPU

I am going to recommend you stick with the bulldozer, provided you don't mind paying a bit extra for the 1866 memory. I really think you'll find BD to be a nice experience on WIN8.
On the other hand, the 960T is a nice bargain and you could save up for a piledriver later in the year. But as I said, I am actually impressed with the performance of my 8120 in WIN8.

No its not .

With the Fx4100 gaming nearly as well as the FX 8150 , I would buy the quadcore 4170 for gaming

But pay the extra for the Fx 6200 if I was multitasking /rendering/encoding

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
well considering that TS is using the same system they made that benchmark with..

IMHO difference might be small but still there is a difference well i guess that's not important to other people

Anandtechs benches are quite misleading .

Here on Tomshardware system builder marathons last year they built pc's with Phenom 955 and another with the i3 2100 . Both had 6870's as graphics cards . The phenom needed to be OC'ed to Phenom 970 speeds to match the i3 .

A few weeks ago the FX 4100 and i3 were compared and were neck and neck across a fairly broad rang of games , graphics cards and resolutions

The FX cant be worse than a phenom 955 and match the i3 .
It must be a lot better than the 960T that is clocked so much lower than the 955

Also worth a look:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4100+Quad-Core