Whats happening with all this spam today?

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I went to see what was happening on the Forums and i'm greeted with all this bollocks about football streaming.
I can't be arsed to search through this to find an actual post.
Sort it out Toms.

Something happened and we some how became a target for a ton of sports spam today. We are doing our best to keep it under control, we have most of it cleared out but please report any new user names you see spamming it.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Sometimes we get bombarded by spam attacks - though the tools for managing them have far improved in the past few months. Response time here was pretty darned good for what level of attack it happened to be.

The MODs are pretty quick getting it removed.
But it's looking pretty relentless. The spammer is now using a URL shortener to get around his site being put on the potty-mouth filter.

When it's happening it pretty much takes over the THG Front Page Forum Live Feed display.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

^I was reporting so many of them repetitively. When I click the report button, and type in "spam" for the description, I send a message to the mod team right? That makes me feel like the spammers!

@jpishgar

Is it possible to have a check box on the forum front page and a dedicated spam button so that you can tick multiple spam and report them. Also add default action button next to the text box where you report spam so I don't have to type them over and over again?

Yes, it sends us notifications. No, we don't view it as spam. I/we all greatly appreciate those who report it. We don't see everything, so it helps when members report things to us.

When you report a spam post, not only do we delete that post, but we ban and suppress all the posts from that user. So you may report 1 spam post, but it may end up deleting 10, 20, 30+ posts. You do make a big difference.