File Encryption

October 4, 2004 1:18:20 PM

I tried to access a file today and received a message
that it was encrypted. It's a file that I use all the
time and I'm not sure how this happened. How do I
unencrypt it? I've looked at the file properties, but
nothing there gives me the option that I need. PLEASE
HELP!

More about : file encryption

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 3:13:28 AM

Jeff wrote:
> I tried to access a file today and received a message
> that it was encrypted. It's a file that I use all the
> time and I'm not sure how this happened. How do I
> unencrypt it? I've looked at the file properties, but
> nothing there gives me the option that I need. PLEASE
> HELP!

Under Properties, there should be a button called Advanced where you can
then uncheck encryption. Encryption should be entirely invisible to the user
if it's accessed from the same profile as it was encypted from. Either
deleting that profile or reinstalling XP without 1st exporting the EFS
recovery certificate will make the file unreadable. Have you logged on as
the creator or rather the person who may have inadvertently encrypted that
file or do you have a number of profiles you could try from?

Regards, Paul
!