File Encryption

I tried to access a file today and received a message
that it was encrypted. It's a file that I use all the
time and I'm not sure how this happened. How do I
unencrypt it? I've looked at the file properties, but
nothing there gives me the option that I need. PLEASE
HELP!
1 answer Last reply
More about file encryption

    Jeff wrote:
    > I tried to access a file today and received a message
    > that it was encrypted. It's a file that I use all the
    > time and I'm not sure how this happened. How do I
    > unencrypt it? I've looked at the file properties, but
    > nothing there gives me the option that I need. PLEASE
    > HELP!

    Under Properties, there should be a button called Advanced where you can
    then uncheck encryption. Encryption should be entirely invisible to the user
    if it's accessed from the same profile as it was encypted from. Either
    deleting that profile or reinstalling XP without 1st exporting the EFS
    recovery certificate will make the file unreadable. Have you logged on as
    the creator or rather the person who may have inadvertently encrypted that
    file or do you have a number of profiles you could try from?

    Regards, Paul

Configuration Encryption Microsoft Customization Windows XP