Questionable parts for a new build

MsgAmmo

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hi all, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on these parts that I am looking to buy durring the month.

I would also like to say that I am keeping my current case for the moment but may upgrade if money permits.

I already purchased 16gig Gskill sniper series ram should arive sometime this comming week for $90

I am defenitly looking to purchase these parts

Intel core 5i 2500k
Cooler Master RS850-AMBJ-US Silent pro M 850
HIS H677QNT1GD Radeon HD 6770 ICEQ Vid Card
ASRock p67 Extreme4 Gen 3 1155 LGA P67 ATX mobo

Future case

corsair carbide 500r

or

corsair graphite 600t

Any info would be great to hear.

Nick

MsgAmmo

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I do understand that it is over kill for now but at some point I will probably do sli and incorporate another gpu and possibly use this powersupply for future builds versus for the now. that power supply right now is only 120 at tiger direct. if it was more I would hold off on it.

My current power supply while it is 500 watts, is 7 years old and does not contain the pci-e power connectors

Why buy a coolermaster psu when you can buy a top quality psu for the same price.
Stick with Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, or PC P&C.

While we are at it, I have a perhaps unpopular rant about the folly of planning for dual cards when a good single card will do the job:

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX560 or 6870 can give you great performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX560ti or 6950 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single 7970 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX560ti needs a 450w psu, even a GTX580 only needs a 600w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.
A single more modern 28nm card like a 7970 needs only 500W.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.

MsgAmmo

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
ok I completely understand that for the video cards. now being that my old power supply of 7 years is a modular one, I have since lost some of the cables due to moves and storage that I will not be able to get additional power cables. This is a budget of 850 that I am working with and the current card I chose is 140 from tiger direct. now if I do plan on future builds with the same case and power supply for say 12 years hypothetical number, what power supply would you recommend and what wattage along with say a video card replacement lets say every 3 years or so?

For right now my case again is 7 years old I have 5 80mm fans as it only has fittings for those, how ever the case is fully mesh with filters on front, side and top, how ever the case does not support the 120 or 140 mm fans. So in the future I do plan on buying a case. My current case does do cable management some what fair.

The 6770 you referenced requires a 450w psu with a single 6 pin pci-e connector.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6770/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6770-overview.aspx#3

In theory, your current psu will do the job. many cards will come with a molex to 6 pin adapter if your psu does not have one.

You could use your current psu, but after 7 years, I would replace it if it is not a top quality brand. What brand is it?

I think I would use a 600-650w unit from a quality brand. That is enough to run any single gpu card available today.
With 28nm graphics cards available now from amd, and the 28nm kepler cards from nvidia coming soon, there should be plenty of options for running good single cards within that 600-650w range. It would not be wrong to overprovision a bit to 750w, but probably not necessary.
Here is a Corsair 600w unit at a decent price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
Expect to pay $80 or so for a good unit.

As to cases, that is a personal thing. Bust your budget to buy a case you truly love. You will be looking at it for a long time.
Your case with 80mm fans can't be good. 80nm fans are noisy and largely ineffective.
For good cooling look for a case with two 120mm intake or exhaust fans or equivalent.
You can buy such a case for <$50.
A perennial favorite value case is the Antec 300 illusion model for $70 or so:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066&cm_sp=Cat_Computer_Cases-_-Spotlight-_-11-129-066