Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASUS vs EVGA 550Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 31, 2011 3:52:58 AM

So, title states it. Is there any real difference between the ASUS 550Ti and the EVGA 550Ti? Precisely the
http://www.dabs.com/products/evga-geforce-gtx-550-ti-95...
and the
http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-geforce-gtx-550-ti-90...
(ASUS being overclocked to the same as the EVGA card.)

I'm planning on getting the EVGA card anyway, but might have to drop down to the ASUS. Just want to know if there's a real big difference between the two.

More about : asus evga 550ti

a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 4:27:35 AM

The EVGA comes with Mafia 2 by the looks of it.
EVGA possess the best customer support vs the competition IMO, and they have a forum full of knowledgeable users who can help you out if you need it.
So yes, there is a big difference.
December 31, 2011 4:30:10 AM

AbdullahG said:
The EVGA comes with Mafia 2 by the looks of it.
EVGA possess the best customer support vs the competition IMO, and they have a forum full of knowledgeable users who can help you out if you need it.
So yes, there is a big difference.

That's good to know. I'm aware of their excellent customer support (Which is a big bonus to me), but is there really much difference in performance?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 4:34:07 AM

fuzzynuts11 said:
That's good to know. I'm aware of their excellent customer support (Which is a big bonus to me), but is there really much difference in performance?

No, there shouldn't be.
The ASUS might run slightly cooler
In overall performance there isn't going to be a difference.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 4:44:57 AM

The EVGA is overclocked to 951MHz whereas the ASUS is 900 MHz

Edit: Alternatively, have you looked into an HD 6770? The performance is close and it's a little bit cheaper.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 4:50:37 AM

lycros said:
The EVGA is overclocked to 951MHz whereas the ASUS is 900 MHz

Nothing that significant.
The performance boost-if there is one-won't be noticeable.
Though the EVGA is still a better purchase vs the ASUS card.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 5:19:40 AM

lycros said:
The EVGA is overclocked to 951MHz whereas the ASUS is 900 MHz

Edit: Alternatively, have you looked into an HD 6770? The performance is close and it's a little bit cheaper.

It may be cheaper, but I'll get a Radeon HD 6790 in that case since it's faster (not by a huge margin) than a 550Ti.
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 5:27:27 AM

don't buy the 550ti its not worth it. the 6790 is more powerful and around the same price and the 6850/460 is a lot more powerful and only a few bucks more.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 31, 2011 9:42:40 AM

With the asus one you should be able to reach higher oc on it. However I still own a 550ti in one of my rigs, an evga super clocked one which runs at stock 981mhz and i overclocked it up to 1075mhz. The evga one would be the best option! :D 
December 31, 2011 10:02:10 AM

dont go on core clock a clock between 950 to 981 will be fine main thing is memory clock it should be above then 4200 and if u buy 6790 u will get more performance get the sapphire ati or the evga 550ti ok
December 31, 2011 3:27:27 PM

I would consider getting the 6790, but I only have a Corsair CX430, and with the ASUS one, I'll be overclocking as much as possible without instability issues. I'm not trying to decide on which manufacturer is better, just wondering if there's a difference between the two. I also asked about difference when running at the same clocks.
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 7:50:14 PM

the 6790 runs with less power than the 550ti. even a 6850 run with less power than a 550 ti.

a c 181 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 8:02:00 PM

If you are looking for a big difference you are not find any.There is not much difference that you would notice. They all are just about the same. The only difference it one fan or two if they are OC or not 2Gb or less.

I have two of the 550 Ti's and I wish I hadn't bought them. They look big and bad but they are not. If you are not into gaming then they are good card for everything else. For gaming So So to med on FPS. In some games you will get high FPS

But over all they are below normal. You might tinker with them and get a little more power but for the money not worth it.
December 31, 2011 10:51:36 PM

esrever said:
the 6790 runs with less power than the 550ti. even a 6850 run with less power than a 550 ti.

I read that the 6970 requires a 500W PSU. Also, the price is over my budget of £90-95.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I won't be going AMD because the 7000 series comes out soon, so no point in getting a 6000 series just before 7000 is release lol.

DM186 said:
If you are looking for a big difference you are not find any.There is not much difference that you would notice. They all are just about the same. The only difference it one fan or two if they are OC or not 2Gb or less.

I have two of the 550 Ti's and I wish I hadn't bought them. They look big and bad but they are not. If you are not into gaming then they are good card for everything else. For gaming So So to med on FPS. In some games you will get high FPS

But over all they are below normal. You might tinker with them and get a little more power but for the money not worth it.


I'm planning on gaming, but I'm only going to be playing on 1280x1024, or 1366x768 depending on which monitor I decide to use. The 550Ti seems to fit my price and power consumption range. If you could recommmened a better GPU for the same price (£90-95), then I may reconsider.
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 10:56:00 PM

nvidia requires less power for their gpus than AMD even when they draw more power. basically to hide fermi's power hungriness I'd guess.

realistically they both give a lot of headroom with the psu requirements as 500 watt requirement gpus will run on a 300 watt psu of good quality.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 10:56:31 PM

At those resolutions the CPU is usually under more stress than the GPU.
The GTX 550 Ti's performance in between an HD 6770 and HD 6790, as well as being more power hungry than the two of them.
A quality 400W (maybe even a 350W) PSU will handle a GTX 550 Ti.
You should be fine with it.
What is your CPU?

P.S. esrever was referring to the HD 6790, not the HD 6970.
December 31, 2011 11:00:01 PM

AbdullahG said:
At those resolutions the CPU is usually under more stress than the GPU.
The GTX 550 Ti's performance in between an HD 6770 and HD 6790.
You should be fine with it.
What is your CPU?


Athlon II x3 445. Does that mean I'd get higher FPS running a game at say 1920x1080 or 1600x1200 than at my resolution? If that's the case, then getting a refund for my last 550Ti was a bad idea. >.<

I returned it because it was underperforming compared to a friend with a 550Ti, same processor but uses a 1920x1080 monitor.


EDIT: I think that might have been the case, since I noticed that FPS was slighly better with a higher resolution. Also, I meant the 6790, I keep getting the two mixed up :p 
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 11:01:06 PM

the 550 ti is slower than the 6770 by a bit and slower than the 6790 by quite a bit


the 5770 is slightly slower than a 6770
December 31, 2011 11:14:21 PM

esrever said:
the 550 ti is slower than the 6770 by a bit and slower than the 6790 by quite a bit
http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image//skymtl/GPU/HD6790/HD6790-30.jpg

the 5770 is slightly slower than a 6770


The decision is really in gaming, and the 550Ti seems to perform better in gaming than the 6770 from what I've read. As I already said, I won't be able to afford a 6790. If I was going to go over the £100 mark, I'd probably go with a 6850.
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 11:44:27 PM

fuzzynuts11 said:
The decision is really in gaming, and the 550Ti seems to perform better in gaming than the 6770 from what I've read. As I already said, I won't be able to afford a 6790. If I was going to go over the £100 mark, I'd probably go with a 6850.
the 550 ti is worse in gaming as well. and I do agree on the 6850.
January 1, 2012 12:16:10 AM

Just had an idea. I have a 1366x768 monitor that I can use. I can align it so that it is in line with my other monitor, so running both monitors at 1280x720 without scaling the resolution to fit the 1280x1024 monitor should work. But that would leave a black gap on the other monitor. Is there possibly a way of only making it scale the aspect ratio of one monitor?
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 1:26:19 AM

Synthetic benchmarks don't show accurate performance vs real world benchmarks.
Look at reviews with gaming benchmarks, which are real world.
Driver updates after release can also increase performance believe it or not.
The GTX 550 Ti does very well compared to the HD 6770 in most of the benchmarks, and is behind the HD 6790.
He can't go wrong with either one though, but with EVGA's warranty and service, as well as a free game, the GTX 550 Ti is worth considering.

I'm illiterate when it comes with running multiply monitors.
I can get a friend who knows about such a topic to help.
However, I would not recommend running games at anything higher than 1080p with a GTX 550 Ti or HD 6770-if that is what you plan on doing.
Those resolutions will bring those cards to their knees.
The 1280x1024 resolution is a better option for a single monitor vs 1366x768.
It's a decent resolution at best for gaming, but it shouldn't be a permanent resolution for you.
January 1, 2012 1:37:05 AM

AbdullahG said:
Synthetic benchmarks don't show accurate performance vs real world benchmarks.
Look at reviews with gaming benchmarks, which are real world.
Driver updates after release can also increase performance believe it or not.
The GTX 550 Ti does very well compared to the HD 6770 in most of the benchmarks, and is behind the HD 6790.
He can't go wrong with either one though, but with EVGA's warranty and service, as well as a free game, the GTX 550 Ti is worth considering.

I'm illiterate when it comes with running multiply monitors.
I can get a friend who knows about such a topic to help.
However, I would not recommend running games at anything higher than 1080p with a GTX 550 Ti or HD 6770-if that is what you plan on doing.
Those resolutions will bring those cards to their knees.
The 1280x1024 resolution is a better option for a single monitor vs 1366x768.
It's a decent resolution at best for gaming, but it shouldn't be a permanent resolution for you.


I know that for single monitor the 1366x768 monitor isn't a good idea, but I plan on running them both. I was wondering if I'll be able to use them for gaming across both the screens so it's not bottlenecked so much by the CPU (The CPU was a bottleneck at 1280x1024, which is the reason behind me sending it back, unaware that it was the CPU since I only found that it was a bottleneck at a lower resolution by you bringing it up :L)

I was more wondering if I can maybe run both screens at 1280x720 for gaming, but the 1366x768 monitor will need ratio scaling disabled, and the 1280x1024 will need it enabled. Wondering if that is possible.

I'm definitely going to try and get the EVGA 550Ti anyway. I can't shill out the money for a 6790, so yeah.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 1:51:22 AM

I'll PM a friend who might help out.
January 1, 2012 2:20:47 AM

AbdullahG said:
I'll PM a friend who might help out.

Ok thanks.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 8:02:04 AM

A friend gave a suggestion:

Quote:
as far as gap goes there is a overscan feature (look in Nvidia or AMD control panels)
so that you can adjust to fit the screen to display


He has 2 monitors, one @ 1900x1080 native and the other at 1280x1024 native.
January 1, 2012 9:37:33 AM

AbdullahG said:
A friend gave a suggestion:

Quote:
as far as gap goes there is a overscan feature (look in Nvidia or AMD control panels)
so that you can adjust to fit the screen to display


He has 2 monitors, one @ 1900x1080 native and the other at 1280x1024 native.


Is it possible to enable that for one monitor, or will it force it to be enabled on both (nVidia driver)?
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 9:56:10 AM

It should work for both monitors.
Try making a new thread for this to get more help.
There are quite a lot of people here that run multiply monitors.
January 1, 2012 9:57:47 AM

AbdullahG said:
It should work for both monitors.
Try making a new thread for this to get more help.
There are quite a lot of people here that run multiply monitors.

Ok, will do.
December 3, 2012 9:47:49 PM

Im just wondering if its possible to sli a asus 550 ti and a evga 550 ti.. im kinda noob so take it easy on me lol
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 11:06:24 PM

Short answer: Yes.

But you should start your own thread, because there are a few things that need to be in order for it to work (both cards come with a SLI connection and you have a SLI bridge, your mobo supports SLI and your PSU is capable of powering both of them at the same time).
!