Sign in with
Your question

(Does anyone else see this as massively ironic?) AMD sells Intel CPUs

Last response: in Components
June 18, 2012 2:14:49 AM

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/120601-amd-buys-se...

It seems that AMD doesn't have a viable Opteron to use or else still has contracts to uphold, and is being forced to continue using Intel processors in their new products. Ironic, don't you think?
a c 83 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
June 18, 2012 2:44:29 AM

i don't think it's ironic. seamicro has been selling intel based servers as far i know. they won't suddenly stop selling intel servers just because amd recently bought them. to amd's advantage, they can use seamicro to sell their own opteron based servers. i don't think opteron's performance has anything to do with it.
an excerpt from that article.
Quote:
As it stands, SeaMicro has a tight partnership with Intel, and every SeaMicro server uses Intel chips. According to AMD, SeaMicro will sell Intel-based servers “for the foreseeable future,” but an Opteron-based solution should arrive by the end of the year.

partnerships are not that easy to terminate. there might be high compensation fees involved among other issues.
m
l
a c 387 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 168 À AMD
June 18, 2012 2:50:11 AM

+1^
AMD found another way to increase profits. Nothing ironic about that. Now they have a new vehicle for their Opterons. There's no fan boys at Wall Street.
m
l
!