Sign in with
Your question

PSU is okay now?

Last response: in Components
June 18, 2012 2:40:07 AM

Hi guyz,
From yestarday night, I am veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery worried about me PC :'( 
As I changed the socket for some reason, when I switched on my pc a crickling-like sound started to come form PSU and socket but I didnt notice and ran my pc for about 18min. Now I noticed after switching on my pc, a beep sound came and no display. Then I immidiately unpluged the wire, aonther socket, and no sound again quiet as before, started again and now issue related to hard disk or any component so far.

But plz tell me that i my PSU okay? Is any there to worry about?

More about : psu

a c 145 ) Power supply
June 18, 2012 2:51:48 AM

Which 'socket' did you change?
June 18, 2012 6:47:16 AM

clutchc said:
Which 'socket' did you change?

I have to two sockets on wall one was okay and one was faulty. I was using extension cord and due to fault in extension cord, i have to plug direct PSU cable in the wall socket but 2nd socket was near so i plugged in but it was faulty and sparking and didnt notice for 18min. PLz help and clarify me :) 

Thanks!
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 18, 2012 7:52:23 AM

Since it was a faulty socket that was causing the problems, stay away from it.
I see that you're using the Antec HCG 620, its a quality unit & it most probably saved your hardware.
Your PSU should be fine.
You might wanna invest in a Spike Guard though. :) 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 18, 2012 12:32:41 PM

bartholomew said:
Since it was a faulty socket that was causing the problems, stay away from it.
I see that you're using the Antec HCG 620, its a quality unit & it most probably saved your hardware.
Your PSU should be fine.
You might wanna invest in a Spike Guard though. :) 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yea! Now m running my PC 3rd time...everything's okay, all components working fine and quiet!

Thnx for ur support! Im gonna buy this :) 

How about APC unit?, back-up and stablizing AIO, I think this will wrk much better :) 

Thanks Again!
a b ) Power supply
June 18, 2012 12:45:58 PM

Yes, if you have the cash for a UPS, I was just providing a cheap alternative:D 

Just make sure that your specific UPS provides pure sine wave protection for your active PFC(power factor correction) PSU.
a c 145 ) Power supply
June 18, 2012 2:59:14 PM

Assuming you are in the US, you may want to buy one of these and check your electrical outlet for faults: http://www.amazon.com/ELECTRICAL-RECEPTACLE-TESTER-OUTL...
You can find them at any hdwr store. They will identify a number of faults you may have with your wiring.
June 19, 2012 10:15:14 AM

bartholomew said:
Yes, if you have the cash for a UPS, I was just providing a cheap alternative:D 

Just make sure that your specific UPS provides pure sine wave protection for your active PFC(power factor correction) PSU.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?...

I was talking about this...is it okay?
June 19, 2012 10:18:46 AM

clutchc said:
Assuming you are in the US, you may want to buy one of these and check your electrical outlet for faults: http://www.amazon.com/ELECTRICAL-RECEPTACLE-TESTER-OUTL...
You can find them at any hdwr store. They will identify a number of faults you may have with your wiring.

As m in Asian country, so yeah yestarday i called an electrician and he repaired all my sockets of my room!
June 19, 2012 10:21:15 AM

But guyz m still worry about me PSU though as I know none of my component is faulty but PSU!!!! is my PSU okay, wanna know if there would be any CAP damage or weakness due to that sparky socket! But on other hand, PSU is still ok, no noise no flactuation! Thnx to Antec :) 
a b ) Power supply
June 19, 2012 12:41:53 PM

Your PSU should be fine. Even if there is any damage, it will not harm your hardware.

As for the UPS, Your Antec HCG 620 is not compatible with stepped sine wave output of most standard UPS. If the APC Smart-UPS 1500VA is a pure sine wave UPS it should be compatible.
June 19, 2012 4:29:33 PM

bartholomew said:
Your PSU should be fine. Even if there is any damage, it will not harm your hardware.

As for the UPS, Your Antec HCG 620 is not compatible with stepped sine wave output of most standard UPS. If the APC Smart-UPS 1500VA is a pure sine wave UPS it should be compatible.

APC is American Brand NCIX also recommend this....never used it...Now m puzzled lil bit...What u actually want to say that whatever UPS is there, it should be PURE Sine Wave NOT Square Wave OR NOT Modified Sine wave!?!????
a b ) Power supply
June 19, 2012 4:35:03 PM

taimoorali007 said:
APC is American Brand NCIX also recommend this....never used it...Now m puzzled lil bit...What u actually want to say that whatever UPS is there, it should be PURE Sine Wave NOT Square Wave OR NOT Modified Sine wave!?!????

It should be Pure sine wave.
NOT simulated/modified sine wave.
June 20, 2012 6:40:55 AM

bartholomew said:
It should be Pure sine wave.
NOT simulated/modified sine wave.

Thnx :) 
!