bulazeem

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
My computer runs fine in Windows XP for a time range between 1 min to 2 hours. It starts having problems for what appears to be no specific reason at a random time under low or high stress conditions. System monitor didn't shows CPU load to be 100% on the performance page but no processes seem to be utilizing the CPU at all. In an advance system monitor that I downloaded, the process that's hogging the CPU load seems to be "interrupts". It states hardware or DPCs if i recall correctly. I then tried a lighter OS to see if it would help and it seemed to make a huge difference. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and everything seemed to run fine with minor freezes occurring for 1-3 sec at random intervals but not exceeding maybe 8 times per hour (sometimes a couple in a row, sometimes rather spaced). However, it would never spike to 100% and sit there making everything else unable to run like it did in WinXP. The only problem with Ubuntu though is that it seems to be unable to boot after approximately 10 reboots or so, without changing configurations or programs except for after the initial boot up after install. I've put it back on my system twice since then only for the same thing. I've now given up and just run my computer from a Ubuntu Live CD. So the functionality of this PC is quite low for that reason. Since January, I've put in two hard drives because I thought they might be to blame being unable to retain data or something. This is a very annoying issue and maybe my PC is just getting too old to keep going anymore, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

System:
Athlon 64 3400+ (seems to run at about 51C when running programs)
LanParty UT NF3 250GB
GeForce 7600GT
Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA drive with jumpers set to limit transfer rate to 1.5Gb/s
2 GB DDR400 Ram (I let memtest run 3 full sequences with 3 passes 0 fails)
3 disc drives
Not exactly sure what PSU but I did unplug 2 of the 3 drives (need one for live CD booting) and unplugged a PCI fan card that's near the 7600 to try to reduce load and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Link to mobo manual if anyone needs any specifics on it http://img.dfi.com/Upload/Manual/CM/lp%20ut%20nf3%20250gb%2081000414-r.pdf