Should I upgrade my CPU or GPU?

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I currently have a Core i5 2400 (I feel that I am getting bottle necked, or am I not) and a GTX 550ti from MSI. I am happy with it, I can run Skyrim on max settings, and BF3 on ultra as well. I am concerned about upcoming games, like the new Tomb Raider.

If I were to upgrade the processor to maybe a Core i5 2500k, would I get better performance in gaming? Or should I upgrade to a GTX 560 or something?

Would I be fine for upcoming games? Should I get an SSD? or just save up until I really need to upgrade?

imo an ssd is a better option than a cpu or gpu atm... unless you have cash lying around and itching for upgrade :)
you could uppgrade to a geforce gtx 670 for max performance in current games.
the cpu doesn't need upgrading atm, should be able to hold out till skylake.
an overclocked 2500k will deliver higher fps, i don't think it'd be noticeable to average people.
you can oc your 2400 4 bins (400 mhz) over base clockrates if you're using a z-series chipset. 2400 is partially unlocked.

The hard drive is the slowest part of a PC.

An upgrade to SSD would help.

The idea of SLI'ing your current card maybe an affordable alternative.

But if you are deciding between CPU or GPU I would say GPU would definitely be the one to boost.

I don't think a GTX560 will make the difference you are looking for.

I think you are going to have to go for a GTX570 or a HD7850 to make it worth the upgrade.

I don't see a 550Ti bottlenecking with you CPU. Wait. save your money. if a new game comes out and you get bottlenecked or low performance find the culprit (550Ti) and upgrade it then. throwing money down a hole if you're happy now.

A 560 though would be a pointless minor upgrade. And if you are worried about having money fir FPS down the road an SSD is pointless, all it will help is load times