Will the new gtx 6xx series be compatible with pci-e 2.0?

kirov96

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
just want to know if their would be some major differences when it comes to performance....

and my budget is kinda tight so i dont want to spend more money in buying a new mobo that is pci-e 3 ready.

replies would be appreciated :hello:

Yes they will be backwards compatible. There isn't likely to be any real performance boost though, aside from possibly the dual GPU card and SLI in x8 x8 mode. Even the best single GPU card out there right now only uses a little over half the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 x16. None of the next gen single GPU cards are going to saturate all that bandwidth when PCI-E runs in x16 mode. x8 mode might be another story, but it's hard to say how big a performance hit x8 mode would cause until we actually know how powerful the 600 series cards will be.

kirov96

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
@Supernova1138 i know that this is kinda out of the thread but how long do you think would an ASUS GTX 570 DC II last if I buy now?

would it be crappy in the next 2 or 3 years?

That would depend on what resolution you run and which games you intend to play. It's a good card at 1080p and will handle just about anything well right now, Crysis 2 with DX11 and Metro 2033 notwithstanding. If you want to max out every single game that comes out, including the incredibly demanding tech demo titles like Crysis and Metro, the 570 will probably be inadequate for that in 2 to 3 years. For most games though you probably would be fine until the next console generation hits, which at this rate is at least 2 years away, as few developers are willing to push too far beyond what the XBox 360 is capable of. Really with the state of things right now with the consoles, it probably isn't worth spending more than $200 or so for a video card unless you are running at an ultra high resolution or multi monitor, or you really, really want to be able to max out the odd system killer that trickles out every now and then.

I guess it comes down to whether you are happy with your current card's performance right now. If so, might as well wait and get a bigger upgrade down the road. If not, the 570 is a good card, if rather pricy for the performance gains you get from it over cards $100 cheaper. Just be aware it probably won't max out the latest tech demo game in 2013.

kirov96

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
well im not those kinda people that maxes out everything and being so nitpicky,if its playable its good for me,besides you wouldnt check every detail of the surroundings when you're being chased by a dragon or being shot at by enemy soldiers :D

but is it true that NVIDIA would release their Kepler from low-end to high end?

BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!