My new Rig shuts down under stress. Stresses me..

j5smith0517

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hello all,

I just put together a new rig. I wanted to be able to game and surf on a budget so I put this together for just under a grand. I won't go into details like all fans, case, cd drive, etc but Ill try to include the relevant stuff.

I started with an ASUS M5A97 MB. Added and AMD Phenom-2 AM3 970 quad with a fan for an AMD black edition copper heat pipe. I add this detail because it is my first possible mistake. I ordered the wrong fan but it fits and it should do the job of keeping the processor cool. Next some memory 2x4 G Skull DDR3 1600MHz=8GB. A WD Green 1 TB sata 3 HD. A GeForce GTX 560 1GB video card. Lastly the 2nd possible mistake. The Apevia 500W Power Supply w/ 6 pin PCIe. 500w should be enough for this with only 1 PCIe card but I cant find anything for certain. All the other stuff I bought was for air flow mostly. Fans everywhere and a good case for air flow too. The computer is stable when I'm not doing anything intensive. As soon as I do though, it shuts down, actually turns off. My guess is I don't have enough power. Can anyone confirm or have any other thoughts to share? FYI I am running WIN 7 home 64.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I read online the 560 takes about 400 watts under stress for a psu. Now factor in everything else and its cutting it close. Most PSU's only use about 80% of what they actually are, the rest is lost to heat. Which looks like its your problem. You didnt buy a good PSU, so your probably lower than that. I would take your PSU back and buy a better brand like corsair or seasonic. Get a 600w just to be safe. Try that and see if your problem still exists.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Good guess on the PSU. I'm running just about the same thing on an antec 550 psu with no issues. I made the mistake of buying an Apevia PS...once. Never again.

j5smith0517

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
As it turns out, when I went into the Bios, I put the processor into high performance mode therefore making it use more power. Since it was using more power when the video card kicked in the breaker on my power supply kicked in shutting it off because I was drawing to much. I went back into the bios and changed the processor performance to normal and everything works fine. Thank you all for the responses!