Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MSI R7850 Power Edition 2GD5/OC Wattage Consumption

Last response: in Components
June 18, 2012 6:14:11 AM

Hey forum, I am getting the video card mentioned below soon if there is stock. I would like to know if there is a need to change my current PSU, since I have seen people pushing it beyond its 950Mhz clock as high as 1240Mhz. I am however hoping that this PC can last for another 5 more years till a better processor and GPU comes along so I can build my own rig in the future.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7850-Power-Edition-2GD5...

This is the list of parts in my pre-built. The parts that I am changing is bolded and underlined.

Processor
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor (3.4GHz with 8MB Cache)
Graphics Card
AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 1GB DDR5

Memory
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
Display
Dell ST2420L 24"W Full HD Monitor, 24.0 VIS
Storage
1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Optical Storage
Blu-ray Disc™, Blu-ray Disc combo + burner
Casing
Dell XPS 8300
PSU
Dell XPS 8300 Mini-Tower 460 Watt Power Supply 7P3WV

Audio
Dell AY410 2.1 Channel PC Multimedia Speaker System
OS
Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64Bit, English

I would like to ask what PSU would be suitable for this card since I have googled how 7850s are perfect for Dell XPS 8300 without a need of changing PSU at all, but I would like to re-assure whether, this card will need more power or will it perform well on my 460W PSU when it involves OC-ing.
June 18, 2012 6:30:23 AM

Does the dell have PCI connectors on the power supply, if not then I'd say it's not up to it, you could probably get away with using adapters but I'd upgrade the PSU just to be safe.
m
l
June 18, 2012 6:36:53 AM

Yes, the 7850 uses just 1 75W 6-pin PCI connector. This PSU has 2 of it I believe.
m
l
Related resources
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 18, 2012 6:41:21 AM

It doesn't give a wattage recommendation on the link you provided, but the recommended wattage for a non-OC 7850 is 500W http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/78...

Since it's an OC model AND you want to OC it further, 460W might be cutting it REALLY close, although the 7000 series cards are better on power consumption than previous generations. I wouldn't take that chance myself, though.
m
l
June 18, 2012 6:44:42 AM

Thanks for the info. I will get a 550W PSU for it. Not intending to crossfire since I have seen how Nvidia cards are better at scaling.
m
l

Best solution

June 18, 2012 7:08:49 AM

Merfert said:
Hey forum, I am getting the video card mentioned below soon if there is stock. I would like to know if there is a need to change my current PSU, since I have seen people pushing it beyond its 950Mhz clock as high as 1240Mhz. I am however hoping that this PC can last for another 5 more years till a better processor and GPU comes along so I can build my own rig in the future.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7850-Power-Edition-2GD5...

This is the list of parts in my pre-built. The parts that I am changing is bolded and underlined.

Processor
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor (3.4GHz with 8MB Cache)
Graphics Card
AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 1GB DDR5

Memory
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
Display
Dell ST2420L 24"W Full HD Monitor, 24.0 VIS
Storage
1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Optical Storage
Blu-ray Disc™, Blu-ray Disc combo + burner
Casing
Dell XPS 8300
PSU
Dell XPS 8300 Mini-Tower 460 Watt Power Supply 7P3WV

Audio
Dell AY410 2.1 Channel PC Multimedia Speaker System
OS
Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64Bit, English

I would like to ask what PSU would be suitable for this card since I have googled how 7850s are perfect for Dell XPS 8300 without a need of changing PSU at all, but I would like to re-assure whether, this card will need more power or will it perform well on my 460W PSU when it involves OC-ing.

Hi Merfert,

That AMD HD Radeon 7850 you mentioned will definitely work with the 460w PSU you have got. On AMD's website, it is mentioned that a 500w or greater power supply is recommended but they usually recommend a little bit more than required. I have seen many people running HD 7850 with a 400w PSU without any problems as its Max. (Peak) power consumption is only about 218w. Therefore, a minimum of 18A on 12V will get you going which I think your PSU will be definitely able to provide.

So, your PSU is fine but I doubt the Mini-Tower Case. AMD HD Radeon 7850 is a dual-slot card. So, I don't think that there will be enough space left between the card's fan and the bottom of your case because of which, the card will get heated quickly and often beyond its safe temperatures. (I am not sure about this but I think this may happen.)

Overlooking this space issue, I don't think you'll have any kind of problems considering power supply.

Regards,
SmartGeek
June 18, 2012 7:13:30 AM

SmartGeek said:
Hi Merfert,

That AMD HD Radeon 7850 you mentioned will definitely work with the 460w PSU you have got. On AMD's website, it is mentioned that a 500w or greater power supply is recommended but they usually recommend a little bit more than required. I have seen many people running HD 7850 with a 400w PSU without any problems as its Max. (Peak) power consumption is only about 218w. Therefore, a minimum of 18A on 12V will get you going which I think your PSU will be definitely able to provide.

So, your PSU is fine but I doubt the Mini-Tower Case. AMD HD Radeon 7850 is a dual-slot card. So, I don't think that there will be enough space left between the card's fan and the bottom of your case because of which, the card will get heated quickly and often beyond its safe temperatures. (I am not sure about this but I think this may happen.)

Overlooking this space issue, I don't think you'll have any kind of problems considering power supply.

Regards,
SmartGeek

Any idea how I can prevent this? Though I have seen people putting in GTX570 and 580 inside.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 18, 2012 7:15:02 AM

The OC factor is what concerns me. I have no doubt that a non-OC 7850 is fine on 460W, but if you care to try for a max OC, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it. Just a personal thing. I always err on the safe side (hence why I have a 750W PSU for my own system, lol. Overkill, sure, but I feel better about it too).
m
l
June 18, 2012 7:18:51 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The OC factor is what concerns me. I have no doubt that a non-OC 7850 is fine on 460W, but if you care to try for a max OC, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it. Just a personal thing. I always err on the safe side.

The card above is a Twin Frozr 4 Model, which sports better cooling, I considered this because of my mini Tower casing. Question is, the OC'ed version when OC'ed even further might have an fps increase of 10, which is quite a lot to me. Then again it is when it is OC'ed to 1200Mhz+, I dont mind buying Sapphire Non-OC'ed to save money, but the extra fps from this MSI would be nice.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 18, 2012 7:25:05 AM

I think you'll probably be OK with the MSI, I just get freaked out about people pushing their PSU's too far sometimes, lol. If the PSU dies catastrophically form being pushed too hard, it can take the whole system with it. Like I said though, just my own personal feeling on it. I suppose I shouldn't care because it's not my own system, but I do anyway, lol.
m
l
June 18, 2012 7:29:46 AM

I don't think I will OC the MSI model, the games I am waiting for are only GTA5 and RE6. So the final conclusion is to just get the MSI card IF I am not overclocking it right?

Thanks.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 18, 2012 7:37:37 AM

Merfert said:
So the final conclusion is to just get the MSI card IF I am not overclocking it right?

Yep.
m
l
June 18, 2012 8:28:52 AM

Merfert said:
Any idea how I can prevent this? Though I have seen people putting in GTX570 and 580 inside.

Running the PC without the side panel of the Case will definitely help a lot. But as you're saying you have seen people putting in dual-slot cards in Mini-Towers, then I think there is nothing to worry about. I stated this issue because I have faced it myself. I also have a Mini-Tower in which I wanted to put a HD Radeon 6850 dual-slot card but because of the less space, I had to settle with the GIGABYTE HD 7750 which is a single slot card.
I think the OC model would not increase the power consumption significantly as the Card is based on one of the efficient architecture i.e., GCN. Also, there is no need to overclock the OC model of HD 7850 because it offers superb performance even at stock.

For GTA5 and RE6, the Non-OC model of this card will be enough. So, you don't need to worry about extreme overclocking.

Regards,
SmartGeek
m
l
June 20, 2012 4:49:33 AM

I went to my local shop the other day and it appears that the MSI7850 I mentioned is out of stock again. This card is pretty popular here. I guess getting a Sapphire 7850 OC will suffice?
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
June 20, 2012 4:54:19 AM

It should be just fine.
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:51:38 AM

Best answer selected by Merfert.
m
l
!