GSM and TDMA

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cell-phone,alt.cell-phone.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

I am planning to send a cell phone as a gift to someone who lives in a
country that doesn't have gsm networks. I know that gsm and tdma are built
on the same underlying technology. My question is will a gsm phone work a
tdma network?
3 answers Last reply
More about tdma
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cell-phone,alt.cell-phone.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

    "Gregory W. Ernest" <Gernest@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I am planning to send a cell phone as a gift to someone who lives in a
    >country that doesn't have gsm networks. I know that gsm and tdma are built
    >on the same underlying technology. My question is will a gsm phone work a
    >tdma network?

    No. One wont work on the other. gsm works with sim chips. Tdma is different.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cell-phone,alt.cell-phone.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:39:06 -0400, "Gregory W. Ernest"
    <Gernest@optonline.net> wrote:

    >I am planning to send a cell phone as a gift to someone who lives in a
    >country that doesn't have gsm networks. I know that gsm and tdma are built
    >on the same underlying technology. My question is will a gsm phone work a
    >tdma network?

    Absolutely not. One technology handset won't work on another unless
    that handset is rigged for multiple technologies such as what's known
    as "GAIT" in North America which can work on GSM, TDMA "IS-136"
    networks as well as analogue AMPS. There are also now hybrid CDMA-GSM
    handsets that will work on CDMA networks in North America and also
    work on GSM networks outside of North America. Even though GSM has
    TDMA as an underlying technology it is only compatible with GSM
    networks of the correct frequency for where it's being used.
    - -
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cell-phone,alt.cell-phone.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:39:06 -0400, "Gregory W. Ernest"
    <Gernest@optonline.net> wrote:

    >I am planning to send a cell phone as a gift to someone who lives in a
    >country that doesn't have gsm networks. I know that gsm and tdma are built
    >on the same underlying technology. My question is will a gsm phone work a
    >tdma network?

    Both phones used Time Division Multiple Access technology to operate,
    but that beyond the underlying theory of operation, a GSM and a
    TDMA/D-AMPS phone have next to nothing in common. There are some dual
    mode phones aroung (GAIT IIRC). For example the underlying data rate
    on GSM is 9600 bits per second or 14,400 bits per second (depends upon
    how you want to look at), and a GSM phone uses a channel 200Khz wide,
    and operates the transmitter 217 times per second. A D-AMPS phone uses
    a 30Khz channel, and has an underlying data rate of 7200bits per
    second, and operates at a much lower transmitter rate. The frame
    formats, modulation scheme etc share essentially nothing.

    Keep in mind that there are two versions of TDMA, D-AMPS and and a
    very close relative, IS-136. D-AMPS has the ability for complete
    coexistance on an AMPS network, IS-136 does not. (D-AMPS uses analog
    signaling for control that is identical to AMPS, IS-136 uses digital
    signaling for control which an AMPS network will not understand).

GSM Cell Phones Phones