Sign in with
Your question

Will a GTX 550 Ti game?

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2012 1:55:51 AM

I'm looking at the GTX 550 Ti graphics card. Will it play games like Skyrim, Fallout 3, and BFBC3 good? I wanted to go with the Radeon HD 6950/6970, but my budget won't permit.

More about : gtx 550 game

March 3, 2012 2:03:05 AM

Add all your questions to your build advice thread that's what is for. There no point in making 10 threads for every question you have when there were 4 people willing to help you in the orginal.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:08:05 AM

neal0790 said:
Add all your questions to your build advice thread that's what is for. There no point in making 10 threads for every question you have when there were 4 people willing to help you in the orginal.

Sorry, but as a rebuttal, there's no point to commenting without answering my question. Don't mean to be rude, but it's not like you're a super high rank here (neither am I).
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2012 2:15:37 AM

Rank has nothing to do with it. There people who rarely post who are more knowledgeable then both of us. All im saying is theres not point in spamming up the board when you got your original on the first page. Ask all your questions there they will be answered, just as fast. Thats what everyone else does, not trying to be an ass just letting you know. I just happen to be the first person who said anything.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:26:04 AM

neal0790 said:
Rank has nothing to do with it. There people who rarely post who are more knowledgeable then both of us. All im saying is theres not point in spamming up the board when you got your original on the first page. Ask all your questions there they will be answered, just as fast. Thats what everyone else does, not trying to be an ass just letting you know. I just happen to be the first person who said anything.

Understood, but honestly, why would you post without answering the question? smh. Oh, and that's rhetorical.

The reason I posted a new question is because everyone in the thread was telling me to get the HD 6850/6870, and I couldn't afford it.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:40:21 AM

Thats fine, all you have to do is ask about the 550 in that thread and it would have been answered. Thats all im saying. I got no problem answering your question noone does. There just no point in having numerous threads on the front page. Also theres no reason to insult someone by saying they dont know what there talking about just because they havent posted in every thread on the forum to get that rank or havent been here for years. Rank has nothing to do with anything. Anyways...

Well to answer your question, the 550 is a good card aslong as your not trying to play and gpu intensive games like bf3 and crysis. You will be able to play them but you will need to turn alot of settings down to maintain a decent framerate. Skyrim will be fine, it more focuses on your CPU. Fallout 3 isnt a graphically crazy game so that should be a breeze. If so the 560 is a better deal and a great card to overclock. But with a 550 you should be able to play any other games on the market with a great fps. If you go on nvidas site http://www.geforce.com/Optimize
you can select the 550 and pick see the settings you will get with a alot of games to get a general idea. Evga is a great brand to look at. They offer one of the best warrentys out there. They also have a setup program so within 90 days of purchasing your card you can upgrade to any of there cards and only pay the difference. Also they have a EAR program, that if your card breaks they will send you a new one to use while they look at yours. They really go above and beyond for customer service.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2012 4:43:57 AM

there are graphics card benchmarks all over the internet .

Search like " 550 ti benchmark"

your question is only answerable if we know your monitor resolution , and the answers are readily available ...so thats how you fish
m
l
March 3, 2012 4:46:34 AM

No, the 550ti is a horrible card. Even the GTX 450 beats it. I recommend the Radeon 6850 as it is much better.
m
l
March 3, 2012 4:56:27 AM

DO NOT GET 550ti! No matter what you do! Look up radeon 6850 or gtx 460.

Gtx 550ti has 192 shaders, while for 140 dollars on amazon you can get a gtx 460 which can do everything better! Gtx460 has 336 shaders which is way better.

A gtx 560ti (~240$) only gets 5 to 10 fps better than gtx 460 in high performance games like bf3 and crysis 2 so it is like a no brainer:) 
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2012 5:34:59 AM

The 6770 is better than a 550 ti.
m
l
March 3, 2012 8:10:15 AM

how about the gtx 7750 (it's great too you know) i suggest that, and lets just leave the guy alone, and just give him an answer...

as i said try the 7750 it's quite cheap for its performance.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2012 8:16:48 AM

Tavo_Nova said:
how about the gtx 7750 (it's great too you know) i suggest that, and lets just leave the guy alone, and just give him an answer...

as i said try the 7750 it's quite cheap for its performance.

The 7750 is a htpc card not a gaming one .
m
l
March 3, 2012 8:56:43 AM

yeah save a little bit then get the 6850 instead.
m
l
March 3, 2012 9:03:18 AM

i have the 550ti, its OK... Plays skyrim fine. But for the same money get a 6850

It will be much better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2012 9:16:19 AM

Quote:
your question is only answerable if we know your monitor resolution

+1
Tell us your monitor resolution.
GTX 550 Ti isn't much of a good card. It's on par with a HD 6770, and slower than a HD 6790.

A HD 6850 is much better than a GTX 550 Ti, like the other members said and it doesn't cost too much either.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
You can get this one for $130 after rebate.

And make sure you've got a good PSU with at least 1X6 pin pci-e connector.

EDIT: and the extra $10-20, is well worth spent. :) 
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:53:27 PM

Gman450 said:
Quote:
your question is only answerable if we know your monitor resolution

+1
Tell us your monitor resolution.
GTX 550 Ti isn't much of a good card. It's on par with a HD 6770, and slower than a HD 6790.

A HD 6850 is much better than a GTX 550 Ti, like the other members said and it doesn't cost too much either.
You can get this one for $130 after rebate.

And make sure you've got a good PSU with at least 1X6 pin pci-e connector.

EDIT: and the extra $10-20, is well worth spent. :) 

My monitor resolution is 1600x900
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:58:59 PM

For a little more you can get the 560 Ti, make sure that what ever card you get that it atleast has 2GB of ram.

I bought 2 GTX 560Ti Super-clocked to use in SLI config. and they work great but i'm going to sell them to get one's with more Vram.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:29:00 PM

soundworkspr3d said:
For a little more you can get the 560 Ti, make sure that what ever card you get that it atleast has 2GB of ram.

I bought 2 GTX 560Ti Super-clocked to use in SLI config. and they work great but i'm going to sell them to get one's with more Vram.

He doesn't need 2gb of VRAM. You only need more than 1gb for 1920x1080 and up.

Once again I suggest the Gtx 460. A gtx 460 will beat a 6850, and this is one of the best for 140 dollars:

This thread has more info:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310939-33-radeon-6850...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2012 2:46:21 PM

xspectrum said:
My monitor resolution is 1600x900

At that resolution, a HD 6850 should suffice.
And the PSU?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2012 3:01:38 PM

That's perfect. The power supply is quite adequate.
So I recommend you buy a HD 6850.
m
l
March 3, 2012 3:01:57 PM

Darth415 said:
He doesn't need 2gb of VRAM. You only need more than 1gb for 1920x1080 and up.

Once again I suggest the Gtx 460. A gtx 460 will beat a 6850, and this is one of the best for 140 dollars:

This thread has more info:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310939-33-radeon-6850...

This is true but if in the future he want's to upgrade his monitor to 1080p he would then need to upgrade his video card!
m
l
March 3, 2012 4:04:16 PM

soundworkspr3d said:
This is true but if in the future he want's to upgrade his monitor to 1080p he would then need to upgrade his video card!

Very true hmmmm...

To the OP- Do you plan to upgrade your monitor? If the answer is yes, when?
m
l
March 3, 2012 4:08:05 PM

Darth415 said:
Very true hmmmm...

To the OP- Do you plan to upgrade your monitor? If the answer is yes, when?

I probably won't ever upgrade in the sense you speak of. However, here in the next 6 months to a year, I'd like to get another monitor for a dual monitor setup.
m
l
March 3, 2012 4:13:29 PM

Quote:
1GB is perfect for 1080P 2gb is a waste of money unless going triple monitor then 3gb Vram is need so you still maintain the 1gb vram/monitor ratio.

The amount of ram necessary to run a display is dependent on how powerful the gpu's core is, and what game you are playing. I know from experience that bf3 will use MORE THAN 1.2 gb of vram on ultra in 1080p, and a gtx 460 level card can do ultra on texture quality at least. My friend had to sell his sli 560 ti 1gb cards and get 2gb cards because of this.
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:21:07 PM

Quote:
I don't think Radeon would mess up when then loaded there new cards with 3GB Vram buffer for running three monitors and BF3 is one game people need to settle down on it turn a setting down me I would never upgrade from two perfectly good cards for one game that's real dumb move but 1gb is perfect for games until the new consoles come out in a few years.

I have to disagree, and agree. Yes he is VERY stupid for buying 1gb cards first, then switching(I told him to get the 2gb cards in the first place but he wouldn't listen), but he was only out 96 dollars, and the 2gb cards he bought were brand new.

He switched for this reason: if you sli 560 ti in 1080p with 1gb cards, you will find that your fps boost is not very big. In fact, instead of speeding up his gameplay, it just made the games have less steep fps drops when there was an explosion, smoke, etc. When he upgraded to his 2gb cards, there was an ACTUAL fps increase. On his 1gb cards, Karkland maps would stutter heavily at 31 fps. Now he DOESN'T EVEN FALL BELOW 45fps, and rarely goes below 50. That is an exponential difference if you ask me, and is well worth the 96 dollars he spent.

My laptop has an (overclocked) gt 555m and can play the bf3 campaign fully maxed, with only antialiasing off on my 900p display without ever going below 57 fps. If I want 1080p all I have to do is turn SOME of the settings down to high, and put shadows on medium. I can still leave on ultra textures, however, because my gt 555m has 3 gb of VRAM.

I don't know about you, but if my 520 dollars worth of graphics cards WAS NEARLY BEING BEATEN BY MY FRIENDS TINY 14 INCH LAPTOP, I would be pretty pissed. Just saying.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2012 11:57:31 PM

Get a 6850/6870. Same price, but they own the 550ti in every benchamark. Plus, they have lower power consumption.
m
l
March 7, 2012 9:52:17 PM

Quote:
I wish I could throw around and stand to lose a hundred bucks thats allot of money and 60fps is all you need LOL some people just don't get it I suppose and a 7970 can't max out BF3 without dipping below 60fps @ 1080P .

First of all a 7970 has both more processing power, and more VRAM than sli 560 ti. Also like I said, he is very stupid, and has money to burn. I told him what would happen, but he didn't listen. Sli 560 ti 1gb offers next to no performance increase at 1080p over a single card. He might as well take one card out and throw it away, because it is not worth the temperature increase and power consumption.

I am agreeing with you!!!
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:18:25 AM

I just built my rig with a HD 6850 with 1600x900 resolution and its playing games pretty damn good. ofcourse you wont get max AA (2-4 for playability), or ULTRA setting, but dude, even on high with no AA looks pretty damn sweet. Sweeter than console (i do still love my xbox).

On skyrim, i can get up to 4x AA and high graphics. the fps is buttery smooth and the detail is far greater than console (using console graphics as reference only - not hating).

Been playing crysis on top settings with no AA (i turned it off but i dont think i needed too), and it still looks great. Same with Deus EX. No fps issues at all.

I went with the XFX 6850, but I think the sapphire is better but it is 10-20 more dollars depending on were ur getting it. I was feeling cheap so i got the xfx.

My 6850 runs about 51 C when i play games, but thats because my cooling is extremely basic to start. So yeah, the 6850 is pretty good if your not going for the 16xAA stuff and fine with high settings.
m
l
March 8, 2012 10:14:17 PM

Quote:
SLI 560ti offers massive performance gains in 1080P it is the difference between dipping below 60fps in the higher end games and having a perfect gameplay experience.Really there is no Perfect single card solution today cause even the 7970 dips below 60fps in the highest graphical games like BF3, Crysis and Metro 2033 ect and there are many more.

I did some research, and you are quite right! He was only having big problems with bf3. Unfortunately, however, that is the primary game he plays! Other games can get quite a performance boost. Luckily he bought his second 560 ti used for cheap, so that made it cost a lot less than it could have to switch to 2gb cards.
m
l
March 8, 2012 10:19:30 PM

xspectrum said:
I probably won't ever upgrade in the sense you speak of. However, here in the next 6 months to a year, I'd like to get another monitor for a dual monitor setup.

I think your only two choices are the 6850 and the gtx 460. Anything else and you will be getting less bang for your buck. You should use google to choose the best one.
m
l
March 8, 2012 10:43:14 PM

phunnyconflicts said:
I just built my rig with a HD 6850 with 1600x900 resolution and its playing games pretty damn good. ofcourse you wont get max AA (2-4 for playability), or ULTRA setting, but dude, even on high with no AA looks pretty damn sweet. Sweeter than console (i do still love my xbox).

On skyrim, i can get up to 4x AA and high graphics. the fps is buttery smooth and the detail is far greater than console (using console graphics as reference only - not hating).

Been playing crysis on top settings with no AA (i turned it off but i dont think i needed too), and it still looks great. Same with Deus EX. No fps issues at all.

I went with the XFX 6850, but I think the sapphire is better but it is 10-20 more dollars depending on were ur getting it. I was feeling cheap so i got the xfx.

My 6850 runs about 51 C when i play games, but thats because my cooling is extremely basic to start. So yeah, the 6850 is pretty good if your not going for the 16xAA stuff and fine with high settings.

What CPU are you gaming with? My i3 + 6850 does 1080P and 8XQ AA in Mirrors Edge.
The 6850 can also do a really nice overclock (mine is at stock, but I did have it overclocked at one point).

Sadly I think you are getting cooler numbers under load then I. :( 
m
l
March 11, 2012 10:26:00 PM

I'm just running on a amd 4 core 4100 fx series. My cooling only consists of 3 120 mm fans, but then again, my rig is completely brand new (will add more fan in the upcoming weeks). However, after a week of my new rig, everything is working well. I haven't over clocked, so maybe that's why ur numbers are a bit higher.

I chose not to overclock atm because i feel like im already playing games at the settings im satisfy with. like i said in my other post, i may not get the best of the best, but even so, with high setting and 2 to 4xAA, the graphics still looks far superior than console graphics while still allowing 60+ fps.

Another factor could be ur case too. Im using the cosair carbide 400R series. Although it may not be the best looking case in the market, the materials and functionality far exceeds most at just 100 dollars. It provides a lot of space as well as it allows me to route 90% of my wires to the back of the motherboard.

This allows my cooling to be even more effective since air can flow easier inside my tower. Also, the case has side vents as well as the top which also allows me to put 2 fans on each vents. I thought i should mention about cases because my brother in law and i built our pc together. But he op for a cheap 50 dollar mid tower case, which looks much cooler than mines. But it burns hotter than rig because the rig can only support up to 3 fans max and no side vent. Also, his mid tower was slightly smaller than mines, meaning he does not have the luxury to route his cables behind his motherboard which disrupts his air flow.

so it could be that, but then again, there can be a lot of other factors.
m
l
March 11, 2012 11:10:29 PM

phunnyconflicts said:
I'm just running on a amd 4 core 4100 fx series. My cooling only consists of 3 120 mm fans, but then again, my rig is completely brand new (will add more fan in the upcoming weeks). However, after a week of my new rig, everything is working well. I haven't over clocked, so maybe that's why ur numbers are a bit higher.

I chose not to overclock atm because i feel like im already playing games at the settings im satisfy with. like i said in my other post, i may not get the best of the best, but even so, with high setting and 2 to 4xAA, the graphics still looks far superior than console graphics while still allowing 60+ fps.

Another factor could be ur case too. Im using the cosair carbide 400R series. Although it may not be the best looking case in the market, the materials and functionality far exceeds most at just 100 dollars. It provides a lot of space as well as it allows me to route 90% of my wires to the back of the motherboard.

This allows my cooling to be even more effective since air can flow easier inside my tower. Also, the case has side vents as well as the top which also allows me to put 2 fans on each vents. I thought i should mention about cases because my brother in law and i built our pc together. But he op for a cheap 50 dollar mid tower case, which looks much cooler than mines. But it burns hotter than rig because the rig can only support up to 3 fans max and no side vent. Also, his mid tower was slightly smaller than mines, meaning he does not have the luxury to route his cables behind his motherboard which disrupts his air flow.

so it could be that, but then again, there can be a lot of other factors.

Nice case. My "dream" rebuild in probably about 10 months will be using a Corsair 300R or similar case.
Current build is using an NZXT Gamma, and most of the wires are completely hidden and routed cleanly.
I only have 1 intake and one exhaust fan though, and the room the computer is in is usually 70+ Fahrenheit.

And I agree about the game settings. I was playing Mirrors Edge and couldn't really tell the difference
between 8XQ AA and 4X AA at 1080P.
m
l
!