ATI CrossFire doesn't work - PCI or compatibility problem?

afodor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I'm working on it for 2 days, but it hopeless...

I used a Sapphire HD5770 in a Gigabyte H55M-USB3 motherboard (Win7 64bit), it worked well. Two days ago I bought an ASUS EAH5770 Cucore card.

- I uninstalled all drivers, deleted all Ati and AMD releated file and registry entry, just as suggested this time
- I put the ASUS card and the CF cable (just one, because ASUS card has only one slot)
- I installed the newest ATI driver pack

Both of cards is working, Catalyst Control Centre shows Sapphire card as "Active", and Asus card as "Disabled".

CrossFire tab in CCC doesn't appear (where it should be?).

GPU-Z shows CF is disabled.

The motherboard is CF compatible but the two PCI Express slot is not same:
- 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) (Note 5)
(The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
- 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x1 (PCIEX4_X1)

GPU-Z shows the PCI bus statuses:
Sapphire: PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16 2.0
ASUS: PCI-E 1.1 x16 @ x1 1.1

This would be the problem? I don't know these bus and crossfire compatibility conditions.
Or something else?

I tried to change the cards, the PCI statuses doesn't depend on the card, and the problem persists.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I'm pretty sure that board is not Crossfire capable, there is nothing on Gigabyte's website or Newegg to indicate that it is. Also, you probably shouldn't be trying to use crossfire with a x16 and a x1 slot, I doubt you can even do it, as I believe they have to be at least x4 slots to be used for crossfire.

afodor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Dohh... I hope you are not right...
I read about this MB CF compatibility HERE, and HERE...

And if it would work on x4 x4, how can I configure to it?

First I would suggest uninstalling the drivers again. Use driver sweeper to ensure all drivers are gone then shutdown. Reset the ASUS card then start the system and reinstall the latest drivers for your cards. You may want to download new drivers to ensure they were not corrupted.

If this fails you may want to ensure you have the latest bios version f11. Try changing the Asus card to the X16 slot.

If this works you may have to enable crossfire in ccc.

afodor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

I did all these things, except "reset the ASUS card". What do you mean "reset"?

Resetting is pull it out of the PCI-E slot and then pushing it back down. Often there may be some buildup on the gold connectors which resetting can help remove.

Did your CrossFire tab in ccc work?

I asked you to switch the cards as some will not work in x4 mode. You may have 1 or both cards unwilling to work with the x4 slot if switching them didn't help.

The motherboard states both slots go into pci-e x4 mode for crossfire. This is the only other problem I can think of ATM.

afodor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Thank you guys for the answers, unfortunately Holdingholder was right, Gigabyte answered me; this mboard is not CrossFireX compatible... :(