Digital Back - SLR

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 3, 2005 12:11:46 PM

I have been asked if I knew where to look for information about digital
backs for SLR cameras. I said I did not know. Perhaps someone could point me
in the right direction. No, I do not know the make and model as yet.

--

Rudy Benner

Never attempt to reason with people who know they are right.

More about : digital back slr

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 1:00:12 PM

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:11:46 -0400, "Rudy Benner"
<newsgroups@rudybenner.com> wrote:

>I have been asked if I knew where to look for information about digital
>backs for SLR cameras. I said I did not know. Perhaps someone could point me
>in the right direction. No, I do not know the make and model as yet.

In general these do not exist, except
for a few medium format cameras, and
those that do exist are quite expensive,
on the ordr of $10,000 to $25,000.

Years ago there was an outfit, Silicon
Film or some such, that promised this --
but it was vaporware.

The root of the problem is that silicon
image sensors are not a good fit for
either the mechanics or optics built
around 35mm film.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:49:08 PM

Rudy Benner wrote:
> I have been asked if I knew where to look for information about digital
> backs for SLR cameras. I said I did not know. Perhaps someone could point me
> in the right direction. No, I do not know the make and model as yet.

Hi,
Kodak?
Tony
June 3, 2005 5:57:34 PM

I'd be surprised if it's worth it even if you can find them!

For all the common makes (pentax, canon etc) you're better off with a new
digital camera body.

The only cameras I know of with digital backs are medium format and you're
looking at about £15,000 for them.

:(

"Rudy Benner" <newsgroups@rudybenner.com> wrote in message
> I have been asked if I knew where to look for information about digital
> backs for SLR cameras. I said I did not know. Perhaps someone could point
me
> in the right direction. No, I do not know the make and model as yet.
>
> --
>
> Rudy Benner
>
> Never attempt to reason with people who know they are right.

June 3, 2005 8:20:23 PM

"Rudy Benner" <newsgroups@rudybenner.com> wrote in message
>I have been asked if I knew where to look for information about digital
>backs for SLR cameras. I said I did not know. Perhaps someone could point
>me in the right direction. No, I do not know the make and model as yet.
>
> --
>
> Rudy Benner
>
> Never attempt to reason with people who know they are right.

Only one I know of
http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte/rsystem/digitalmod...
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:45:54 PM

Kodak released a few during the early days of digital cameras.
Leica is soon to follow next week with a Digital back for their R8 and R9
cameras.

Besides that ... no clue.

=bob=

"Rudy Benner" <newsgroups@rudybenner.com> wrote in message
>I have been asked if I knew where to look for information about digital
>backs for SLR cameras. I said I did not know. Perhaps someone could point
>me in the right direction. No, I do not know the make and model as yet.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:45:12 AM

"Rudy Benner" <newsgroups@rudybenner.com> writes:

> I have been asked if I knew where to look for information about digital
> backs for SLR cameras. I said I did not know. Perhaps someone could point me
> in the right direction. No, I do not know the make and model as yet.

Ten years ago, Kodak made a digital back for the Nikon N90s:
http://folk.uio.no/gisle/photo/dcs460.html
(Btw., I am still using this camera.)

Leica is about to release one:
http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte/rsystem/digitalmod...
(It won't be cheap.)
June 7, 2005 7:04:28 PM

Greetings Tony,

Kodak offered a couple iterations of the back, but no longer. Great in
their day with great images. There were others such as Dicomed, Leaf,
Sinar, Phase One, and Canon. Check those sites or the general search engine
to find more.

Good Luck,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company