New gpu for xps 8300

Phantom Limb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
So I went the lazy route and bought a Dell xps 8300. I'm thinking about upgrading the gpu since it runs certain games on max settings a bit choppy. I'm a huge gamer so this is kind of important to me. These are the current specs on the machine.

Intel Core i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHZ, 2x4GB/2x2GB (will be putting in 1600mhz ram in a week when i get it)
AMD Radeon HD 6770
stock 460watt power supply

I was looking at this for a replacement.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161372

I'm assuming i would have to change out the power supply too but wasn't sure. I guess what I want to know is how big of a difference will this card make over the one I currently have. Thanks

Can you check how much pci-e connectors you've got either 6-pin or 8 (6+2)-pin? If you have 2 then you are fine with it. If you have only one then I would probably upgrade to good PSU like corsair TX650 so that I don't have to worry about upgrading PSU again.

That GPU is nice anyway so don't worry much but if you have 1080p single monitor and you don't have plans on upgrading monitor better safe money and get 1GB.

Phantom Limb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
okay, ill check the connectors when i get home, im not 100% positive. Yeah i use a 47" 1080p tv. No other monitors.

So basically is it really not worth upgrading from the 6770? Am I not going to see a real difference with thie new card?

You will not benefit the 2GB GDDR5 VRAM that's on the card when you don't have plans on upgrading your monitor to eyefinity solutions (2 or more monitors). That's what I'm trying to say :).

You can also wait the upcoming Radeon 7xxx it should worth more and very good with your system which will be planned to be released in Q1 2012 next year...