Sign in with
Your question

First build: Is it ok?

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2012 3:31:52 AM

So this is my first time ever considering even building a computer, I've done some research and just want to see if this will work as a decent build for gaming. Not super intensive (Only WoW on high-Ultra). So no BF3 or Crysis2 etc.

Ram:Corsair 8gb Kit

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H

PSU: CORSAIR GS600 600W

Case: Coolermaster HAF 912

CPU: I5-2500k (Switching to a I5-2400)

Graphics: XFX Radeon 6870 1gb

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB

For cooling I was going to use 6 of these: COOLER MASTER SickleFlow

Dvd drive I'm not really sure of, if you could recommend me just a cheap one (But reliable) would be great :D .

Oh and sorry if these were supposed to be in a specific order, not sure lol D:

More about : build

a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 3:46:35 AM

every thing is good.for cooling you don't need to fill every spot.912 is a welll vented case.add a 200mm fan and you are good.asus and lg burners are cheap and good.
all the best ;) 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 3:47:58 AM

Everything seems pretty fine. Any dvd drive is pretty good. Just search for the best rating at Newegg(if you're buying at newegg that is). If you plan to overclock, get a cpu cooler. Something like a cm hyper 212 or higher would be good. If not, drop to an i5-2400, an h67 board and maybe get a 560ti. I would suggest you get a 1TB drive if you can, since 500GB can be filled up quite fast these days
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 3:53:12 AM

^+1 for cooler.hyper 212 evo is a good choice.HDD pries are very high now.i would say if you are willing to spend $130~150 then spend $150 on a sammy 2tb it's a sweet choice.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 3:57:00 AM

^it's best option.
March 3, 2012 3:57:22 AM

hellfire24 said:
every thing is good.for cooling you don't need to fill every spot.912 is a welll vented case.add a 200mm fan and you are good.asus and lg burners are cheap and good.
all the best ;) 
Thanks! : )

EzioAs said:
Everything seems pretty fine. Any dvd drive is pretty good. Just search for the best rating at Newegg(if you're buying at newegg that is). If you plan to overclock, get a cpu cooler. Something like a cm hyper 212 or higher would be good. If not, drop to an i5-2400, an h67 board and maybe get a 560ti. I would suggest you get a 1TB drive if you can, since 500GB can be filled up quite fast these days
I'm kinda nervous about overclocking tbh. So I'll probably just get a I5-2400 then since it's cheaper : )

I'm not to sure about Nvidia stuff as I've only ever used AMD Graphics cards for anything.

I'll get the 1tb Caviar blue with the money I'll save on the CPU. Thanks : )
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 4:01:18 AM

^yeah 2400 is best option when you dont wanna overclock.grap a H67 cheap and reliable mobo.Holy crap caviar blue is $200.best bet is to grab 2tb sammy for $150 or caviar black 1 tb for $130.
March 3, 2012 4:05:00 AM

hellfire24 said:
^+1 for cooler.hyper 212 evo is a good choice.HDD pries are very high now.i would say if you are willing to spend $130~150 then spend $150 on a sammy 2tb it's a sweet choice.

Would the cooler be absolutely necessary (Without OC'ing)?

-------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: 1month or so

Budget Range: 800-1100 (For both)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the internet, Watching movies.

Parts Not Required:Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg and Amazon

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU/AMD graphics/Corsair PSU

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: Something that doesn't burn up like my last pre-built I ordered :D 

hellfire24 said:
^yeah 2400 is best option when you dont wanna overclock.grap a H67 cheap and reliable mobo.Holy crap caviar blue is $200.best bet is to grab 2tb sammy for $150 or caviar black 1 tb for $130.

I found here: $123.35 for caviar blue, is that to much? Also is a Gigabyte not reliable motherboard?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 4:13:39 AM

A cooler is still a good option since intel stock cooler isn't very good. The cm hyper 212+ is just below $30 but it's fine if you don't want to buy it now, you can just by one later. A 560ti is performs a bit better than a 6870 and is also a great price to performance card. Gigabyte is a good brand. But if you're not planning to overclock, no need for SLI or crossfire it's better to change to a board with an H67 chipset. Gigabyte also made h67 board
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 4:19:45 AM

Check out my $650 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
It'll do fine at your resolution of 1440x900. The 6870 is plenty for 1680x1050 (Resolution I'm running, running BF3 at High settings on a 5850 @ steady 60 FPS)

No need to spend more than $650. As for the HDD, unless you absolutely need 1TB, don't waste the extra $40 at current prices. I'm sure 500GB will last you at least until the drive prices drop. (Next year supposedly)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair PSUs are good, but too expensive. The Antec PSUs are good at a low price, performing the same. The Antec 520w I list in that guide I posted would do you justice @ only $60. Gives you more watts than the CX500 and it's the same price. So yeah.
March 3, 2012 4:32:09 AM

EzioAs said:
A cooler is still a good option since intel stock cooler isn't very good. The cm hyper 212+ is just below $30 but it's fine if you don't want to buy it now, you can just by one later. A 560ti is performs a bit better than a 6870 and is also a great price to performance card. Gigabyte is a good brand. But if you're not planning to overclock, no need for SLI or crossfire it's better to change to a board with an H67 chipset. Gigabyte also made h67 board
Thanks, I think I'll get that coolant then : )

Could you suggest a certain H67? They all seem similar or less powerful then the one I have currently listed and I want to make sure it will still work with my components.

aznshinobi said:
Check out my $650 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
It'll do fine at your resolution of 1440x900. The 6870 is plenty for 1680x1050 (Resolution I'm running, running BF3 at High settings on a 5850 @ steady 60 FPS)

No need to spend more than $650. As for the HDD, unless you absolutely need 1TB, don't waste the extra $40 at current prices. I'm sure 500GB will last you at least until the drive prices drop. (Next year supposedly)

Corsair PSUs are good, but too expensive. The Antec PSUs are good at a low price, performing the same. The Antec 520w I list in that guide I posted would do you justice @ only $60. Gives you more watts than the CX500 and it's the same price. So yeah.
By the time you actually add windows tho my current build is very close to that $650 ($750 with windows) only $80 or so higher. Thanks tho. I will take into consideration that HDD's will be getting cheaper hopefully. I was also pondering a SSD for my OS/Other important files.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 4:37:33 AM

caviar black 1 tb for $130 is a good deal.if you are not overclocking then stock heat sink is enough.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 4:40:07 AM

Then keep the z68 board. It's quite reasonably priced I guess.
March 3, 2012 5:00:54 AM

He doesn't need a Z68 board though... He won't be overclocking or SLI/CFing so it's kind of a waste. The money is better spend on a better graphics card, but even then a 6870 is fine at his current resolution.

OP Honestly I'm not saying your PSU or MB choices are bad, however for what you just listed.
This board saves money and is good enough.
This PSU gives you plenty of power for much cheaper, more power in fact.

Review for PSU:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/881
Gives the 630w Green a Gold award and a lot of people think Rosewill is a flat out bad company, quite the contrary. Depending on the model, Rosewills are pretty good.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 8:25:51 AM

for psus
dont buy rosewell
here are few which i picked

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341051

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

these psu are pricing decending chose what ever u like tho i personally sugget corsair and seasonic then anteb and ocz.

For mobo
consider this newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128527

and this

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131793

for 1440x900 a 6790 is what u will need at the most 6870 but 560ti is overkil.even 7770 is available on newegg:D 

u can even save on ram by going gskill ripjaws

get the cheapest seagate 500gb hdd as that will suffix for a year and till then prices come down. Get a 60 gb ssd(120gb recommended)of crucial or samsung or kingston or mushkin or patriot or intel which ever u like as ssd are all alike except intel.this addition to ur system
March 3, 2012 7:26:33 PM

^ Please explain why you wouldn't buy Rosewill PSUs? The review shows it's a solid PSU many have said the Green 630 is one of the best Rosewill PSUs. Then you have the newer Hive and Capstone models that are great as well lots of solid reviews have come out of it. I admit, older models of Rosewill will pretty bad, they chose bad OEMs but the 630 and the Capstone/Hive are great choices.

Most of the companies are just rebranding with that said, you have to look at the OEM not the brand put upon it. Antec, Corsair and OCZ don't make their own PSUs at all. Not saying their bad, just saying that that's what you're buying the OEM's branded PSU.

Also, the 7770 is not worth the price. It's the same price as a 6850/6870 (In between) but it performs below both at a higher price. Sure it may be the new gen, but even my 5850 has lasted 2 gens and come out still running BF3 at 60 FPS on High settings @ 1680x1050.

a b B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2012 3:11:02 AM

^i agree.i know a buddy who runs i7 920,12gb ddr3,3 monitors,and 5870 crossfire rosewill bronze 1kw psu.never heard any complaints.rosewilll capston series is great and are very cheap too.but still xfx holds first rank in my list of 'cheap and quality' psu.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2012 2:05:56 PM

man no need to make TAMASHA!(A scene)

about gpu i agree but it didnt force u and i provided u other option

about rosewell see buddy i dont how the psu works or who is oem
i agree each and every one just apply stickers except seasonic and other few and sell by their brand.

It will take time to realise that this brand is good but people judge brands by their history.

And seasonic makes the best psu in the world. The psu of corsair and xfx is made by seasonic thats why they work identical:o 

and u know that we just give advice and its upon u that to choose or not and if anything happens its ur responsiblity the reason to burn ur pc :( 

note : if these words hurt then ..... Reply
a b B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2012 2:16:08 PM

I agree. We only give suggestions and only hope to give the best we can. The final decision is still up to you. Certain things are just small matter but if we see any bottlenecks or big flaws, we'll tell you immediately and hope you take our advice
March 4, 2012 6:48:18 PM

I understand your standpoint serial, but I wasn't trying to make a "scene". Just pointing out certain things, specifically the PSU and 7770 thing.

If OP ended buying the 7770 it wasn't the best deal he/she could've gotten because the 6850 is cheaper but gives more performance than the 7770.

As for the PSU, The Rosewill 630 got a Gold award on Hardware Secrets review which is pretty solid. A solid amount of the recent reviews give it 5 stars, so I don't see why not. Actually... Only a select few are made from Seasonic that are rebranded as Corsair, mostly AX line is Seasonic but the rest are CWT. Corsair is good and so is XFX, but @ lower prices aren't the best bang for the buck although they are good.

Corsair prices their TX series, HX series, and AX series way above it's actual market worth, there are so many other companies producing better power supplies for less than Corsair charges.
!