Not enough power to VGA, use 6to8pin adaptor, or wasting my time

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I have a Zalman 850 watt power supply, hooked up to a ATI Radeon 4890 X2.
The 4890X2 has a 6 pin connector and an 8 pin power connector.

The red led is lit on the D5 label on the back of the 4890, which from looking at the forums signifies not enough power, or a power issue.

The PSU is a component PSU and has fixed cables which have 2 x 8 pin PCI cables. I was thinking of grabbing a 6 to 8 pin adaptor cable and trying to use the component plugs on the PSU labelled PCI3, PCI4, and the other 6 to 6 PCI cable i have, therefore bypassing the fixed cables.

However am i wasting my time, since it comes from the same PSU, or will it be from a different part of the PSU, so may work?

I just want to test if it's a video card problem or a PSU problem. The system powers up ok, but doesn't boot.
Thanks

If you have an sli setup, then try this adapter or use what you have: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PCIEXSPLIT6-6-Inch-Express-Splitter/dp/B004NNTVT6/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1340020297&sr=8-31&keywords=pci-e+power+adapter. One lead from your power supply for each video card should be adequate.

I thought that the ZALMAN ZM850-HP Plus hard wired PCI Express cable has one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin connectors.

You should be able to use one of the two modular PCI Express cables that came with the PSU with each modular cable having one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin connectors on them. That should split the graphics card's +12V power load over at least two different +12V rails.

You can also use both modular PCI Express cables for the graphics card and not use the hardwired one at all.

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Unfortunately the PSU i got only had 2 additional 6 pin PCI modular cables, not 8 pin. the only 8 pins come from the hardwired ones. Maybe i have an older model than the one above. i will pick up a 6 to 8 pin and post back here if it works :)

Thanks for the replies.

TRENDING THREADS