Need PC Help - GTX 560

kanij

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I've been at this for days. I've tried different board, I've talked to friends. I have no idea what is going on anymore.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4026MB RAM
Motherboard is an Intel G33

I had a 400W Power supply and a 9800gt on it. I could run MW3, various other games with above average FPS in my opinion. No lag or issues at all. I then bought SWTOR to play with some friends and I would say I was getting less than 10fps it was ALWAYS choppy, not fun. I decided to buy a new video card and PSU.

I bought this power supply http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4435072&CatId=1483

and this video card http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=858869&CatId=3669

I shut down, put in the new Power supply. Connected everything. I then installed the video card, and connected the 6 pin and used a molex to make another 6 pin. Connected those. Started up.

Installed the 290 nvidia drivers (i've also tried the 275, 280, 285)

I get no frames. Either the game will not load to begin with, or I get 1-5fps in SWTOR, And the same in other games (Tested games are MW3 and Dungeon Defenders)

Im using 64 bit vista which ive never had a problem with and I just did a fresh format and install.

Sometimes I can get into the game and ill sit around 20-40FPS but the next day if I try to login, it will just sit at a 50% load screen.

Can anyone identify the problem here? People have said its a garbage power supply and they said that may be the case.

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
yeah it is a garbage psu..u have done a serious mistake on choosing on ur psu..gtx 560 is a beast it can even max out battlefield 3 ..try closing ur antivirus software running on ur background..ask ur friends for some fps benchmarks for SWTOR and tell their requirements if there cpu is either i3 ir i5 thats may be the reason because there are games which puts load on cpu and maybe ur quad core processor does not suit the game..and the final probability for this problem is due core quad core, some games have problem on quad core processors so download the game patch from the official site and install it then check the results..

kanij

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks for response. The only programs on this computer right now is SWTOR and Steam. I've not installed anything else, no firewall or anything atm.

My system is well above the requirements for the game. Which patch are you talking about from the official site?

Also to add this in - with the 9800GT while i was getting HORRIBLE frames in this game, the game would load within 2 minutes of starting the launcher, where as now it takes >10 minutes usually.

kanij

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I was just speaking in general. All of them have good machines and video cards. One of which has a 460 and is getting a constant 80fps always.

Some of my system may be out dated, but would it be to the point where I am only getting 20 FPS with a 560? It feels like something is holding me back.

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
..ur processor is good for gaming and gtx 560 even better than gtx 460..my idea is as ur psu is not delivering enough power the gfx card and cpu is throttling down due to low power and so there u are not getting good gaming experience..i will say first do a fresh install of ur windows 64bit and then install ur nvidia drivers that will give some solution to ur problem..

kanij

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Ah yes thanks.

Just two days ago I did a fresh install of the OS and drivers. The only programs on my PC right now is Steam, Star Wars and the OS.

I do think its a possible the power supply could be just garbage. So I'll be looking into getting another one here soon.

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
ya..just do that because my friend has a mercury psu and he added a 9600gt his cpu didnt start but after removing the card the cpu was running well..so finally psu will be the probelm man get a corsair or antec or seasonic branded 500w psu u will be very fine..if u can run the game with onboard graphics better than gpu then surely psu is a defect

demar3214

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

he never said he tried he gpu in other pcs.. and what is the i supposed to mean

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
the gpu is a beast but like what the people said it could really be your psu, corsair,antec are good psu brands, thermaltake has good products too but selected only so better go with corsair as your at least sure that it's a killer, and i believe a 500-600w corsair can provide all the power your computer needs

going off the spec of the psu it has 612 watt total on the 3 12v rail which should be more than enough for a 560 but theres no way to know if its advertised right.

I'd say try your old psu, if it worked with your 9800gt theres a chance that it would work for your 560 just try it and see if it works, if it does I would recommend getting a new psu since you will have very little headroom with 400watts and might be prone to crashes.

kanij

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Well. I went out and got a Corsair 600W supply. And I've noticed no differences at all as far as performance goes.

Whats next? Am I to believe the graphics card is bad? MSI Afterburner shows it running.