Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Black Screen, no beeps, lights/fans on, speaker installed. Help!!

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2012 6:15:38 AM

Posted this in power supplies thread and got responses. Hope I can get some help here. So I just got done putting my computer together for the first time. My build consist of

CPU AMD|8-CORE FX-8120 3.1G 16M R
MB ASUS|M4A87T AMD870 AM3 R
VGA EVGA|01G-P3-1363-KR GTX460 1G R
HD 500G|HITC SATA 3.0Gb/s 0F1038
MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
PSU RAIDMAX|RX-450K 450W RT
DVD ROM SAMSUNG | TS-H353C
ASE RAIDMAX|BLACKSTORM ATX-615WW

I keep getting a black screen even though all the LED's and fans are spinning inside. There is no beeps even though the motherboard speaker is installed. I'm 95% Sure that everything is plugged in correctly, checked twice, looked at all the screws in the motherboard to make sure it wasn't shorting or touching the case.

Only thing I can think of is that my video card needs a bigger power supply. The power supply I bought is a 450w and the video card requirements I looked up say that it need 450w? Here is a link to my card http://www.evga.com/products/morei [...] P3-1363-KR Does this mean that I will need something bigger because it needs to run more than just that?

I'm not the greatest with computers, any help would be greatly appreciated.
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
March 3, 2012 2:30:15 PM

I don't think your motherboard and CPU are compatible.

I didn't see on the motherboard webpage that it works with FX processors.

Did you choose those two or were they in some kind of deal that said they would work together?
Score
March 4, 2012 12:24:58 AM

Raiddinn said:
I don't think your motherboard and CPU are compatible.

I didn't see on the motherboard webpage that it works with FX processors.

Did you choose those two or were they in some kind of deal that said they would work together?

Yeah I bought them in a package together on newegg. I figured newegg wouldn't sell them together unless they were compatible.

Edit: I actually just check the combo page and at the bottom is said Newegg.com cannot guarantee the compatibility of Combo items. Please contact the manufacturer(s) directly if you have issues or concerns regarding compatibility.

If this is true I'm never buying anything from newegg.com because why would they sell something in a package if it wasn't compatible. I feel like an idiot.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 1:27:08 AM

I haven't ever seen them try to bundle something together that wasn't compatible before, so if that is what they did this time it would be a first in my experience.

Usually they will do pretty much anything to try to sell FX processors, but that would be going a bit far.

I would suggest you call the motherboard maker and ask if the FX you have should be compatible with it before you do anything else. They should be able to tell you right away whether it should work or not.

- Edit - BTW, if you have an AMD processor that is not of the FX variety, would you mind trying it in the board and seeing what happens?
a b ) Power supply
March 4, 2012 1:52:39 AM

Yea I would send the CPU and mobo back to Newegg. they messed up. Only the M5A series from Asus will work with a FX CPU.
Score
March 4, 2012 2:54:42 AM

Raiddinn said:
I haven't ever seen them try to bundle something together that wasn't compatible before, so if that is what they did this time it would be a first in my experience.

Usually they will do pretty much anything to try to sell FX processors, but that would be going a bit far.

I would suggest you call the motherboard maker and ask if the FX you have should be compatible with it before you do anything else. They should be able to tell you right away whether it should work or not.

- Edit - BTW, if you have an AMD processor that is not of the FX variety, would you mind trying it in the board and seeing what happens?

Thanks you've been very helpful. Do you know where I could find the Asus phone number?
Score
March 4, 2012 2:56:39 AM

Best answer selected by djspenserg.
Score
!