Computer shuts down at random. Ideas?

I have an HTPC build with an intel mini ITX mobo, sandy bridge i3, radeon 6770, 650W OCZ PSU, 8gb of Ram, in a Lian Li mini itx case.
About 6 months ago, the computer started turning off at random. I don't mean BSOD, I mean it just shuts off completely. Sometimes, it would automatically restart after staying off for 5-10 minutes. It usually happened while watching video with XBMC, but not always. It also happened sometimes when web browsing, etc.
I figured it was an overheating issue, so I ran temp programs, but both the CPU and GPU were running at low temps. Just to be sure, I rebuilt the entire computer, took out the GPU, reseated the cpu heatsink/fan with new thermal paste, and tried that. The problem still happened, and temps were low.
I thought it might be a bad PSU, so I got a new one of the same kind, and the problem still happens. I know I am not overloading my PSU. It is 650W, and shouldn't have any problems drawing/providing the power that it needs for my small system.
I thought it might be a windows issue, so I did a repair...no luck.
Lastly, I thought there might be a short. somewhere. I took all of the components out of the case, hooked everything up again on a piece of plywood with nothing touching, and it still happens.
I even disconnected all wires from the case buttons/LEDs, and it still happens.
I am at my wits end. Can anyone else think of anything that I should do, should check, etc to try and troubleshoot this?
Thanks for all of your help.
3 answers Last reply
More about computer shuts random ideas
  1. anything in the system event log? If theres nothing in the log, well, You've already tried everything but the motherbd.
  2. It may be the Hard Drive. As popatim said, check the event log. If you don't see any kind of errors that pertain to a system restart or "mini dump" then there is a chance it is the motherboard.
  3. Thanks guys. I'll look into that. Thanks for the help
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Components