Laptop not visible in workgroup computers

Critchmom

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
My laptop & desktop connect thru a router. The router is wired to desktop but laptop connects wirelessly. I can see the desktop on my network in workgroup on both computers, but the laptop is not visible on either. I'm connected to internet on both computers & can access files/printers on desktop. Have changed firewall in Norton on both to access files, but the laptop will not show up at all.

Solution
Make sure sharing, public folder sharing and some other legitimate object (such as one of your own documents) are all share enabled, otherwise there is nothing to see.

KevRJ

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Make sure sharing, public folder sharing and some other legitimate object (such as one of your own documents) are all share enabled, otherwise there is nothing to see.

Solution

Critchmom

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
The problem was there was no "Shared Doc" folder created on the laptop. Even though I had checked "file & print sharing", there was actually NO folder created for sharing. On the otherhand, the desktop DID have a "shared doc" folder.

Critchmom

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
I DID make a shared folder & checked the properties to make it shared. So all is fine now. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my former response. Thanks for your help.