The idiocy of AFG

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
This is just a story, but an amusing one nevertheless:

I was really into the discussion on the stickies when the discussion turned into one about next-gen interfaces. Now I was really keen on using USB 3.0 but it was at the back of my case (bummer) so I decided to buy a new case. When I had the case in my cart and I was about to buy it, I realised that my motherboard only supported 2 USB 3.0 ports, and they were at the back panel of my motherboard and the motherboard didn't support the front panel USB 3.0. No problem I thought, I'll just buy a new motherboard. Unfortunately, there were no AM3+ motherboards with aforementioned USB 3.0 headers. So I decided to get a LGA 1155 motherboard and CPU. The total bill was:

Core i3 2120 $125
Zotac Z68ITX-A-E $175
Bitfenix Prodigy $70
Total - $370

So then my friend comes in, I explain to him that I'm buying a new case, motherboard and CPU for 2 front USB 3.0 ports. He simply tells me to buy 2 USB 3.0 extension cords and tape them to my case. D'oh!

That option? $6 for 2x 1m (3ft) USB 3.0 extension cables inc. shipping.

The best part... I don't even own a USB 3.0 device yet :p

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Who says I wanted AMD?

Itx. I don't do ATX ;)

Well, for the most part, USB3 devices are hard to find and 99% of them work fine on USB2, except portable HDDs.

Since most portable devices are capped with the flash modules they use for storage, they're nowhere near saturating the USB3, or even using a considerable higher bandwidth than USB2 to make it worthy.

I like eSATA and USB2 as they stand now :p

Anyway, why ITX only? mATX is not so bad, lol.

Cheers!