Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Everything should work, but it doesn't...

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 3, 2012 10:07:27 AM

I bought all the components about 1 month ago and finally got around to hooking it all up. On the first attempted power up it didn't move. I re installed all the components and rewired everything, success! Or so I thought.
When I plug my monitor (on a DVI to VGA adapter) into the graphics card to boot, it tells me there is no signal...
Noting beeps (there is a speaker) nothing resets and if I power off the computer, all the components that feel hot like ram, cpu, hard drives and graphics card are warm.

My build specs are:
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 960T (stock cooler)
Gigabyte GTX 560Ti
Corsair vengance ram 8gb (2x4gb)
WD 500Gb SATA3 HDD
An old 160gb SATA2 HDD from my old pc
Corsair TX650 V2 PSU

I have gone through all the troubleshooting problems on the first boot problems page, but with no success. If you need to know the case is a CiT venus midi tower which I got off a friend; I have moved an intake fan from the side to the back as an exhaust fan but that's not even connected to the motherboard... I didn't bother with standoff screws as the motherboard sits on a raised part.

I spent around £650 (just over $1000) on this and would appreciate any help or past experiences.

Edit: The monitor I'm using is a Philips 196V3LAB 18.5" LED - It does work, I have tested it with my laptop

More about : work

March 3, 2012 11:03:25 AM

adam_ said:
I bought all the components about 1 month ago and finally got around to hooking it all up. On the first attempted power up it didn't move. I re installed all the components and rewired everything, success! Or so I thought.
When I plug my monitor (on a DVI to VGA adapter) into the graphics card to boot, it tells me there is no signal...
Noting beeps (there is a speaker) nothing resets and if I power off the computer, all the components that feel hot like ram, cpu, hard drives and graphics card are warm.

My build specs are:
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 960T (stock cooler)
Gigabyte GTX 560Ti
Corsair vengance ram 8gb (2x4gb)
WD 500Gb SATA3 HDD
An old 160gb SATA2 HDD from my old pc
Corsair TX650 V2 PSU

I have gone through all the troubleshooting problems on the first boot problems page, but with no success. If you need to know the case is a CiT venus midi tower which I got off a friend; I have moved an intake fan from the side to the back as an exhaust fan but that's not even connected to the motherboard... I didn't bother with standoff screws as the motherboard sits on a raised part.

I spent around £650 (just over $1000) on this and would appreciate any help or past experiences.

Edit: The monitor I'm using is a Philips 196V3LAB 18.5" LED - It does work, I have tested it with my laptop


This case requires standoffs. Don't how you managed to mount the board correctly without them. If you did not use them, you likely have created a dead short somewhere between the board and case. Hopefully nothing is damaged.
If you followed the trouble shooting guide completely, you would know what is wrong. Go back and do it again, step by step, all the way through.
March 3, 2012 11:03:31 AM

take out the graphics card and try to run the cpu that may wirk ..
Related resources
March 3, 2012 11:08:06 AM

jitpublisher said:
This case requires standoffs. Don't how you managed to mount the board correctly without them. If you did not use them, you likely have created a dead short somewhere between the board and case. Hopefully nothing is damaged.
If you followed the trouble shooting guide completely, you would know what is wrong. Go back and do it again, step by step, all the way through.


Ok, I will try that and report back when I do it. The motherboard seemed to work but this being my first build I am probably not looking for the right thing!
March 3, 2012 11:12:43 AM

adam_ said:
Ok, I will try that and report back when I do it. The motherboard seemed to work but this being my first build I am probably not looking for the right thing!


The part about booting the board out of the case is VERY important. If you do this before you assemble everything, then you know if the board has a problem or not, if the base parts, the CPU, RAM, Video card, will all work correctly. If you pass this part, then assemble into the case and start hooking everything up. Once you get it all into the case, and you have a problem like this, its a lot tougher to trouble shoot.
March 3, 2012 1:44:55 PM

Well I just hooked it up out of the case and the same problem occurred...
One thing I have now noticed is that the speaker doesn't do anything even if parts are missing. I think I may have a bad motherboard.
March 3, 2012 2:29:49 PM

If you have done everything according to the list, yes that is usually the culprit if you get no beeps. You may have fried the board when you mounted directly to the case, if the mounting was incorrect. You may have even fried more than the board, but likely the board is probably the problem.
March 3, 2012 2:46:57 PM

jitpublisher said:
If you have done everything according to the list, yes that is usually the culprit if you get no beeps. You may have fried the board when you mounted directly to the case, if the mounting was incorrect. You may have even fried more than the board, but likely the board is probably the problem.



Ok, Ill hopefully take it back under warranty. I might return that and get one with 2x PCI Express slots for SLI or a PCI 3.0 slot for future upgrades.

Thanks for your help!
!