Sign in with
Your question

Does Catalyst AA & AF settings overriding decrease FPS?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2011 4:49:36 PM

Does forcing AMD Catalyst Anti-Aliasing & Anisotropic Filtering settings over the game's same amount of AA & AF decrease FPS? Is it always best to try to edit settings in game when the settings are available? Does that mean that with games that don't have settings for AA or AF; when you force it on Catalyst, you're not getting as much performance as you could if the game had it's own AA & AF settings? If a game already has AA & AF settings, and you also force AA & AF settings on Catalyst, does it slow down performance. The point of that would be for games that don't have either or both AA & AF options, like Oblivion doesn't have settings for AF, and Turok doesn't have settings for AA.

Phenom II x3 720 @ 3Ghz
ASUS 6850 @ 850Mhz 1050Mhz
Corsair XMS2 4GB 800Mhz @ 5-5-5-15-20
Dell Ultra-Sharp 19" 1280x1024
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 4:56:51 PM

Yes, that's what i discovered during playing ACR, i set the V.Synch on and i got 23 FPS, i was like a mad until i discovered that forcing AA, AF, Texture Quality via CCC reduce the FPS in the actual game. So better leave it as "Use App Settings" or only force settings via the AMD CCC.
m
l
December 31, 2011 5:11:10 PM

yeah CCC is AMD Vision Engine i know that. But that sort of doesn't make sense now you say force settings in AMD CCC. What about forcing "wait for verticle refresh" to allways on, does that decrease FPS compared with leaving it off (under 75/60). Just to say that i have the latest AMD Drivers too.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 5:43:34 PM

V.Synch limits your FPS to your monitors refresh rate, any frame above 60 won't be rendered. I always specify it via the game settings, you can chose to always on or on unless game specify in the CCC.
m
l
!