Status
Not open for further replies.

total noob

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
hello

my pc takes 2 min and 30 secs to boot up windows 7. Is this a normal boot time?

spec:
z68 mobo
2500K cpu @ 3.3 ghz
8gb ram " 1333 mhz
7200 rpm hdd
650W psu
gtx 560 ti @ 900mhz

Sounds slow to me - mine takes 43 seconds (and I dont think mine is particularly fast). I counting from time I press "on button" to the time I see desktop (including adding my password).

A lot will depend on how much crap you have starting up with windows... I make sure I have very little.

Cheers

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
That's a VERY long time to boot. Startup programs will certainly slow boot times down but that's still a lot! In your UEFI BIOS there is a setting for the 'hang time' on the BIOS flash screen, set that to 1 or so. At least there's a setting for that in my Asrock z68MB.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
with an SSD mine is actually fast, but if i compare yours to my fx-8150 using western digital caviar black 7200rpm, with windows7 and just antivirus and some games, installed, your load time is actually slow,

you should try checking what programs starts in your pcor maybe your populating a huge amount of space in your hdd.. try ccleaner or something it should help out clean some stuff

total noob

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
thanks for responses

i ran pcmark7 (basic free version) and got a score of 3022 pcmarks if thats sheds light on anything.

my mobo is a gigabyte, cant find the hang time in touchbios, what else can i try bios wise?

thanks in advance

Forget that.... go back to basics....

How fast was the machine when you first got it? so with a clean version of Windows... before you installed anything of your own? Was it fast then?
Or did you upgrade to Wins7 from a previous Wins version and not do a clean install?
Or did you upgrade significantly the hardware at some stage and you are not seeing the perfromance boost in boot you expecting?
What HAVE you got starting up with windows? If you have a systray full of crap coz you have Messenger, steam, some crappy AV, TomTom, and a millions other bits of unnecessary rubbish loading at start - look there first.
Ofc - we are assuming you dont have any malware slowwing you down?

Give us some useful info (i.e. not PCmark score.... what is your PC actually doing?) and may be we can give some more specific feedback. There are tools to log//monitor whats going on at boot up - may be try one of those?

Cheers

total noob

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
thanks yoji

clean installed windows, it was faster then than it is now, but never booted near 43 seconds, noticed got slower with addition of graphics card (maybe imagining it), only 7 items in startup, have removed much of the unnecesary stuff (via ccleaner). I use ccleaner regularly. A friend of mine said it may have something to do with my RAM, faulty perhaps. reason i posted pcmark score was for a more objective view of my system performance.

Well- I just tried my Wifes machine... 50.8 seconds from press button to having control on the desktop.
It still takes a couple more seconds for interent to be confirmed and the AV icon to show in systray... so 55 seconds if you count those.

Her machine is much worse than yours... hers is

Vista 64bit ult
4GB RAM
7200 RPM HDD (500GB).
Nvidia 7600 GS graphics
Asus M4A78LT-M Mobo
with a Ath X3 450 @ 3.2GHz

I do maintain hers - so like mine - I keep it very tidy in terms of what starts up with windows.

So I think you do have some investigation to do.

Cheers

HHmmm ... sounds like it should be much quicker... may be it waiting for something...as Delroy.. says. May not be BIOS.. could be hardware or software that not installed/uninstalled cleanly... so sys is trying start it.. and waits for "time out" before moving on.

Could be many things. Think you need run the tool to see where the delay is... that should give a good pointer where to look.

Cheers

total noob

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
uninstalled some programmes, turns out main culprit was antivirus. without it, boots about a minute faster!

thanks to all who took the time to help out, it was much appreciated, particularly for clarifying that my boot time was indeed slow.

Thanks for the update...what was the antivirus prog?

Which AV were you using? I use MSE as its light and doesn't kill boot times as fast as most others.

I do have an SSD so it boots much faster than a HDD but still that must have been a hog of a AV program, maybe Norton?

jeanl

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Your boot time is super slow... I have a HDD and I boot windows7 in 47s, and my system is over 4 years old.

I had a similar super-slow boot problem a couple weeks ago, which I was able to solve, so see if the info below helps you.

The key to finding out what's going on is to use xbootmgr (from a dos command). This does a reboot, and logs everything that's going on. When the computer is done rebooting, you can go in the windows\system32 folder, and see the trace, and usually this will tell you what's going on. Specifically, you run: xbootmgr -trace boot -verboseReadyBoot
In my case, it was a prefetch issue: the trace showed that superfetch was missing every read, and that can completely kill your startup time. Mine was about 500s from start to finish! I fixed the prefetch issue (I had several issues, the defrag service was disabled, and the prefetch service was on delay start), and ran xbootmgr -trace boot -prepsystem -verbosereadyboot (this reboots the computer 6 times, taking notes of what memory needs to be loaded, then at the end uses defrag to layout everything sequentially so the prefetcher grabs everything in one shot the next time you boot).
This lowered the boot time to about 50s (along with delaying some services).
But even if your problem isn't prefetch, using xbootmgr will show you what's going wrong.

So try xbootmgr and let us know what you find.

Jeanl

Never mind, I did not see that you did solve your issue! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS