Suggestions for an Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

CG_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
These are my current specs

CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6Ghz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 (Idle:27C)(Load:60)

Case: Cooler Master HAFX - with duct fan

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4

RAM: 8Gb (2x4) GSkill gaming series 1600 Mhz 6-7-6-6-21

GPU: EVGA 560ti sli

PSU: Rosewill Xtreme series 950w

HDD: 2 x Hitachi 500Gb 7200rpm (RAID0)

I like to game at 6000x1080 (bezel corrected)

obviously the gpu solution is my primary concern but if anyone has any other suggestions they would be appreciated

Solution
In most cases, V-RAM is not an issue but in your case it may actually be hindering your performance.

Are you adverse to purchasing AMD cards? If not, their offerings may be right up your alley. They are great for multi-monitor gaming and most of them are equipped with large amounts of V-RAM. You may actually want to look into a single HD 7970 at first, then add another one in the future if you are not satisfied with just one.

nVIDIA will release their high-end GPU's sometime in the second half of 2012 (rumor) and I believe they will be better performers. The only problem is the wait, if you can wait then I would recommend a single GTX 680 (or 780) and adding another one down the road if you are unsatisfied.

Lastly, if you do not want...

CG_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Well the lack of VRAM is the biggest issue , so yes the system performs great while at 1080p but quickly loses its luster when you crank up the res

I ask because im not sure what route to take for the higher end of the build and thats alot of money to drop for an upgrade

it wouldnt be until income tax time which is here soon, and i was thinking 3gb 580 sli, plenty of frame buffer, however i was wondering if i should hold out for the 600 series gpu or if the 3gb is unnecessary

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
In most cases, V-RAM is not an issue but in your case it may actually be hindering your performance.

Are you adverse to purchasing AMD cards? If not, their offerings may be right up your alley. They are great for multi-monitor gaming and most of them are equipped with large amounts of V-RAM. You may actually want to look into a single HD 7970 at first, then add another one in the future if you are not satisfied with just one.

nVIDIA will release their high-end GPU's sometime in the second half of 2012 (rumor) and I believe they will be better performers. The only problem is the wait, if you can wait then I would recommend a single GTX 680 (or 780) and adding another one down the road if you are unsatisfied.

Lastly, if you do not want to purchase from AMD and you simply cannot wait, then a single 3GB GTX 580 is still a potent card and will be for quite some time. You simply can't go wrong with it. Some people will consider it a waste of money because they may be more expensive than the HD 7970 and perform about 20% worse in most games; keep in mind though that the 20% difference is usually less than 10 frames and sometimes it doesn't even matter because both of the cards blow past the magic 60 FPS number anyways.

Solution

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
In that case, the HD 7970 will be the best card on the market come January 9th. If you can wait a little bit longer, nVIDIA will most assuredly release a better card down the road (not by a huge margin, but still). You have to decide whether it's worth the wait for the performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.