XFX Pro 850w to Nexus RX 8500?

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hi,
I currently have a XFX Pro 850W Core Edition power supply, which is not modular but 80 plus bronze. I want to buy the Nexus RX 8500 850W power supply which is simply 80 plus but it is semi modular. Is this recommended? or better to stick with my XFX? I just think that the semi modular abilities will be very useful.

Here is a review for the Nexus RX-8500 850W:
www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/871
Which shows that all aspects of performance are solid (voltage regulation within 3%, ripple and noise below 40mV on the +12V rail and below 30mV on the +3.3V and +5V rails). The efficiency is definitely a step down from the XFX.
Here is the review for the XFX Pro 850W Core Edition for comparison:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/1205

It has less connectors than the XFX; 6 SATA and peripheral vs 11 SATA and 7 peripheral on the XFX.

So overall I think that if you want a modular unit as well as a quieter unit then there's nothing wrong with choosing the Nexus RX-8500. Unless there are better units available for the same price or less.

So where do you live/where are you buying from and what is your budget?

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Well, I would be buying it second hand and selling mine second hand. But I am starting to be less convinced right now..
I think the only real benefit I would get is that it is quieter. So I am wondering: is it possible to change the fan in my XFX?

It uses a 13.5cm fan, which is fairly unusual. The 13.5cm fan from Zalman which you might be able to buy has 12cm mounting holes, which won't line up with the mounting holes inside the XFX. So it's definitely not easy to change the fan.