Sign in with
Your question

Where is my bottle neck?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2011 8:51:01 PM

Hello,

My system spec is:

AMD phenom 9650 quad core processor (OC'ed to 2.4ghz)
8GB DDR2 RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX SE (OC'ed to 845 Mhz Core, 1690Mhz Shader, 2100 Mhz Memory)
500 Watt Power Supply
All drivers up to date

I Play Star Wars the old Republic and have tried various resolutions and in game settings from very high to very low and can't seem to get a decent/constant FPS. My FPS range from 20-30 on the lowest settings when theres no one around in game which is just about ok to play but in congested areas ( war zones ) it drops to 5 - 10 FPS. I dont have a great deal of knowledge about computers but i would have thought that my computer should be able to handle this game and produce much higher FPS than it currently is.

All I can think of is that maybe my graphics card is not up to scratch.
Any advice is much appreciated

Thankyou

More about : bottle neck

December 31, 2011 9:24:28 PM

Processor, its a huge bottleneck. The reason is the speed, the sweet spot for a an upper mid range gaming machine should be 3-3.4ghz. Any less, you simple cannot push a modern GPU to its potential.
December 31, 2011 9:46:05 PM

Thanks for you reply.

Any recomendation on a processor.

I believe the information i need to give you is that its a AM2+ socket.

Thankyou
Related resources
December 31, 2011 9:55:25 PM

MattTingle said:
Hello,

My system spec is:

AMD phenom 9650 quad core processor (OC'ed to 2.4ghz)
8GB DDR2 RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX SE (OC'ed to 845 Mhz Core, 1690Mhz Shader, 2100 Mhz Memory)
500 Watt Power Supply
All drivers up to date

I Play Star Wars the old Republic and have tried various resolutions and in game settings from very high to very low and can't seem to get a decent/constant FPS. My FPS range from 20-30 on the lowest settings when theres no one around in game which is just about ok to play but in congested areas ( war zones ) it drops to 5 - 10 FPS. I dont have a great deal of knowledge about computers but i would have thought that my computer should be able to handle this game and produce much higher FPS than it currently is.

All I can think of is that maybe my graphics card is not up to scratch.
Any advice is much appreciated

Thankyou

Any AMD Phenom CPU sucks you want AMD Phenom II for gaming the Phenom CPUs are old and based on a crappy architecture to begin with.
December 31, 2011 10:02:29 PM

Go to your motherboard manufacture web site and see what's the best processor that your motherboard supports. You probably will have to update the bios of your motherboard.
Buy the best one you can afford!
Minimum specs I wold accept is Black edition,quad core,and at least 3.2ghz!
December 31, 2011 10:16:46 PM

easymoney9 said:
Go to your motherboard manufacture web site and see what's the best processor that your motherboard supports. You probably will have to update the bios of your motherboard.
Buy the best one you can afford!
Minimum specs I wold accept is Black edition,quad core,and at least 3.2ghz!

Or Phenom II x4 955 which is really the best and only good option right now from AMD for gaming.
December 31, 2011 10:25:26 PM

thanks all for your replys really useful information
!