Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need a mouse (wireless, no rubber, no slant)

Last response: in Components
June 18, 2012 7:58:22 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for a wireless mouse without rubber sides, as I tend to somehow melt Logitech's rubber sides, and I generally don't like how sticky they start to feel within weeks of use. Currently, I am trying the Logitech G700, which is great in that it is very responsive and is 100% hard plastic, however, it's hurting my wrist. :(  For this reason, I have never really cared for the slanted or ergonomic mice. I would love if it could be a gaming mouse, but that doesn't matter as much to me as the no rubber, no slant, no wire requirements.

So can anyone recommend an all hard plastic, wireless mouse without a slant? I have been eying the Razers online; however, I can't tell if they have rubber. The SteelSeries mice look like they would be a perfect hand fit for me, but most are wired. It seems like I'm always striking out on one the features that is most important to me.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
June 18, 2012 10:38:11 PM

My go to mouse of choice is the microsoft wireless 5000 (blue laser) as I didnt think it had rubber sides but a closer inspection revealed it does. For what its worth I have used this mouse several years now and the rubber is not even close to looking melted.
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:10:42 PM

popatim -- Thanks! I should have mentioned in my post that I typically don't care for Microsoft mice too much. I can't explain why--it's just something about how clicky they are, lol. I'm definitely willing to give it a test drive in a store, though! I could sacrifice something for the other features.

After having done some additional research, it seems like a Razor Mamba may work well for me. Does anyone have any feedback about those?

I'm kind-of a hybrid claw/fingertip gripper. As with a claw gripper, my palm rests very lightly on the mouse, but I move it with my wrist and fingertips. My grip isn't quite as "clawy" looking as pics I have seen of the claw grip, but it's definitely closer to that than fingertip due to the light palm rest. So any mouse that would be good for that is a plus. I find that the slanted mouse designs probably hurt my wrist because of my grip.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2012 12:08:21 AM

im personally a logitech guy... and i think a lot of the logitech gaming mouses are rubber made on the side for more of a comfort gripping...
i also, personally like my mouse wired. might be a mental thing, but i i just think i get a better response from wired mouse compared to wireless.

my favorites are the G400 and the G500's
Logitech G400
http://www.eio.com/p-39833-logitech-910-002277-g400-bla...

Logitech G500
http://www.eio.com/p-26280-logitech-910-001259-g500-usb...

this one also seems nice.. interchangeable mouse
http://www.eio.com/p-26275-logitech-910-001152-g9x-usb-...

but theyre all wired though... sorry if im not of help.
m
l

Best solution

June 19, 2012 12:58:24 AM

Addind my 2 cents, don't go wireless for extream gaming (you loose a few ms).

but well you can't realy go wrong with either a logitech or a razer product. I went for the razer naga myself (wanted an MMO mouse with a wire).

Thats a great mouse but it suffer from a double click problem (only a year old). I could fix it but it was a bit tedious so I'M going for the logitech brand for my next mouse (now I need one for First person shooter).
June 19, 2012 1:08:43 AM

a little black duck, that's one heck of a mouse! I had seen pics of those, but since I had assumed that there was no way that they would be comfortable, I didn't pursue it any further. I see, however, from the feedback on Newegg that they are pretty well liked.

I would love to have tried that but, unfortunately, I just ordered a Razer Mamba before checking back here. But that's OK. I figure that I'll try the Razer and if it's not my cup of tea, then I'll send it back and probably try the Cyborg. I have my reservations about its, well, oddness. But I will trust those who have used and reviewed it. Thanks a bunch!

target50, awesome suggestions, thank you! I am typically a Logitech gal, so I'm with you on that. The M510 was really comfortable, but even before the rubber started melting, it felt sticky, which I didn't like. My previous Logitechs were all hard plastic, and they were great.

Unfortunately, the G700 spoiled me with its precision and sensitivity, so it's gaming mice from here on out. If only it didn't make my wrist hurt! The G4/500 look to be the perfect shape for me. And while I do think that corded mice give a better response, I'm still a sucker for desk aesthetics. Having said that, the shape might win me over, so it's a definite contender should the Razer not work out. Very helpful, thanks!

Venur, well I ordered a Razer, so I hope that the double click thing doesn't come bite me in the future. *sigh* I hope to get at least a year out of it first, in any case. I don't suppose that I'm a real extreme gamer, in that I don't play FPS. I play mostly ARPGs and MMORPGs (Everquest 2, Diablo III, Torchlight II when it comes out and Path of Exile beta--but I play EQ2 the most, wherein a few ms loss won't kill me.) The Naga looked nice, but I was afraid that I'd always inadvertently hit all of those numpad buttons near the thumb. I may have to go to a wired Logitech model in the future, but we shall see. Thank ya!
m
l
June 19, 2012 1:50:11 AM

Ceara said:

Venur, well I ordered a Razer, so I hope that the double click thing doesn't come bite me in the future. *sigh* I hope to get at least a year out of it first, in any case. I don't suppose that I'm a real extreme gamer, in that I don't play FPS. I play mostly ARPGs and MMORPGs (Everquest 2, Diablo III, Torchlight II when it comes out and Path of Exile beta--but I play EQ2 the most, wherein a few ms loss won't kill me.) The Naga looked nice, but I was afraid that I'd always inadvertently hit all of those numpad buttons near the thumb. I may have to go to a wired Logitech model in the future, but we shall see. Thank ya!

My razer naga is a total killer for Everquest 2 (the 12 button pad that can be turned into 48 hotkeys while holding the alt, shift or ctrl). Playing on everfrost.

I don't know if the other razer mouse suffer from the double click problem but if you ever got it just RMA the mouse back to razer and if the warranty ended. Well take a look on the internet and you'll see how to fix it (Kinda just open the mouse and use some contact cleaner).

But it void the warranty so just do it if it ever happen and your out of warranty.
m
l
June 19, 2012 2:01:03 AM

Quote:
My razer naga is a total killer for Everquest 2 (the 12 button pad that can be turned into 48 hotkeys while holding the alt, shift or ctrl). Playing on everfrost.

Hey neighbor, I used to be on EF but transferred to AB.

Well now this makes me wonder if I want to send the Mamba back and get a Naga, lol! So basically, you could hit every button in 4 hotbars with just your thumb--no screen travel time? :o 

My concern is that due to my grip, I would hit the buttons constantly when I don't want to. Does your thumb actually rest somewhere else or on the buttons themselves?

And thanks for the advice on fixing the double click. That will come in handy if it happens after the warranty expires.
m
l
June 19, 2012 2:09:09 AM

Ceara said:
Quote:

Hey neighbor, I used to be on EF but transferred to AB.

Well now this makes me wonder if I want to send the Mamba back and get a Naga, lol! So basically, you could hit every button in 4 hotbars with just your thumb--no screen travel time? :o 

My concern is that due to my grip, I would hit the buttons constantly when I don't want to. Does your thumb actually rest somewhere else or on the buttons themselves?

And thanks for the advice on fixing the double click. That will come in handy if it happens after the warranty expires.

Would depend on your grip but if you surf a bit on the razer naga website you'll find their picture of the different grip poeple are using and how it work on the mouse.

the razer naga and the razer epic naga (wich is basicaly a naga with the option to go wireless and a few side panel for different hand size) are the mouse they designed for MMO.

If your an MMo player and not a clicker you should take a look at these.

http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic

I went for the razer naga cuz it was just 80$ and didnt wanted wireless the epic is 130$
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:10:25 AM

Best answer selected by Ceara.
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:25:28 AM

I ended up ordering both the Razer Naga and Mamba to try out, as I was not sure which I would prefer. I actually assumed that I would prefer the Mamba, but I ended up loving the Naga--which worked out well, because my husband loved the Mamba, so he took that one.

I'm still not completely adjusted to the buttons yet, but I haven't had much gaming time since I got it, so I imagine that I will learn quickly once I can sit down and play for awhile. What I love about it is, well, obviously the buttons. I had initially thought that they would get in my thumb's way when I am not using them, but they do not. The rubber material on the top of the mouse doesn't appear to be the type that could rub off. The sides are hard plastic, which I appreciate. It's small and fits my hand/grip perfectly. (The Mamba was actually a bit too large for me). It's also fantastic that you can change out the panel on the right side of the mouse to better fit your hand, as I needed the smallest one. It's fast, smooth, accurate. And it's wireless, but the wireless response time is indistinguishable from when I have it plugged in.

All in all, we are both very happy with our first Razer purchases. Thank you all for your input!

...now if only I could find a mousepad that I like. ;)  I ordered a Steelseries 9HD, which was not only too large, but I found it to have more friction than I would like. I'm looking for something that would feel akin to using the mouse on my desk, and plain black with a hard surface is preferred. As for why I'm not just using it on my desk if that's the feel that I prefer: I ended up scratching the heck out of my previous desk with my mouse, so I'm going to try a mousepad this time.

I'm considering a Steelseries Experience I-2 (formerly called Icemat), which is still a big large for me but, as it is glass, I hope that it is fairly low friction. I've seen a copper colored Teflon mat online, which I may consider. I do not want cloth at all. It's hard to find the surface that I want in the size that I want. I wouldn't ever need more size than around 8.5" x 11", and I probably don't even need quite that much.

The search continues!
m
l
!