Your question

2500k temps extremely high.

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
June 18, 2012 9:03:51 PM

So I bought a brand new processor and motherboard a couple of days ago and everything runs perfectly and I put my hand near the processor and it didn't seem anywhere near the temps it was reading. I am getting temps around 90-95 degrees (this is in Celsius). It hasn't shut down like it does to protect it and everything seems to be running fine. I am using RealTemp and also my bios. There is thermal paste on both the heatsink and processor but the heatsink is only running around 800 rpm which either is defective or it doesn't need to spin that fast to keep it cool which is saying that the temps are wrong. I am scared to use my computer now because I don't want anything to happen to my processor as I am not sure it is covered by the warranty nor do I want to wait 2 weeks to get a new one. I have not overclocked at all and I am not using any load at all on the CPU (only program I was running was RealTemp). Should I try re-applying the thermal paste or are the temps just wrong? Any help appreciated. Motherboard is an Asus Z77.

More about : 2500k temps extremely high

a c 83 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2012 9:09:16 PM

stock heatsink/pushpins = bad push pin installation.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 18, 2012 9:12:25 PM

13thmonkey said:
stock heatsink/pushpins = bad push pin installation.

I agree 100%. What worries me here is that the fan should have been at 100%, regardless. Even if it was a faulty sensor, the fan should still have been at 100%.

Not sure what's going on there.
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 9:12:42 PM

I just replaced the parts and I had the exact same things before and I had normal temps. I even used my previous heatsink to ensure that there was no defect.
m
l
a c 395 à CPUs
a c 495 V Motherboard
June 18, 2012 9:14:57 PM

_1^
Check that the black feet of the cooler are flush to the board. Or look behind the board to see if one or more blk pins are not full into the wht fingers.
Sometime those push pins will open before the post is fully thru the hole in the board.
m
l
June 19, 2012 1:53:49 AM

whats your PC case ?

Also you should never run with stock CPU cooler.

Cooler master make pretty good one for 30-35$ if you don't want to spend too much.
m
l
a c 395 à CPUs
a c 495 V Motherboard
June 19, 2012 2:05:21 AM

venur said:

Huh! You mean never O/C with a stock cooler. There's nothing wrong with using a properly installed stock HS/F.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2012 6:16:34 AM

venur said:
whats your PC case ?

Cooler master make pretty good one for 30-35$ if you don't want to spend too much.

utter rubbish, stock cooler is perfectly fine for stock.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2012 6:44:06 AM

venur said:
whats your PC case ?

m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 19, 2012 6:45:10 AM

^ :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
June 19, 2012 9:10:29 AM

clutchc said:
Huh! You mean never O/C with a stock cooler. There's nothing wrong with using a properly installed stock HS/F.

Tru dat. COmpanies don't sell their CPU's with hardware that doesn't work. Otherwise they get murdered.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2012 9:39:44 AM

if the fans not screaming its head off your temp monitoring programs probably wrong check temp in bios
m
l
June 26, 2012 1:10:33 AM

Yeah I guess either thermal paste wasn't properly applied or heatsink was just not on tight enough but after several tries I got my temps to idle around 40. Still not as low as I would like them but the max they have gotten to now is about 65 which isn't too terribly bad (well at least for my standards). Once I get the money I will probably get the EVO cooler (only going to O.C. to about 4.3). The Stock cooler idled around 55 on 4.3 and that was for about a minute (just curious I guess). Thanks for all your help and if you could recommend any way to lower temps even more that would be great.
m
l
!