First Build V2.0 $2000 Budget

ragingcorey

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: I want to order the parts this weekend since next week is spring break it gives me some free time to build the computer.

Budget Range: $2000 budget for the computer, mouse, and keyboard. But I want to try and avoid $2000.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, photoshop/illustrator (whenever I decide to buy my student edition of creative suit), and just general use.

Parts Not Required:
Monitor and speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg or tigerdirect

Parts Preferences: None really

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe if it becomes needed in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 I may get a 1920x1200 later on if I feel like it.

Parts Chosen:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k or
Intel Core i7-2600k

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M

CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14

SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Optical Drive: Lite-on DVD R/RW

Case: Cooler Master HAF Blue Edition 942

Mouse: Ligitech G500 or
Logitech G9x

Keyboard: Logitech G110

Additional Comments:
Will I even need the i7-2600k for photo work? I really don't see the performance difference worth the extra $100.

With the SSD do you think I will need the 128GB or could I get away with a cheaper one with less space to save some money.

With the CPU cooling fan I don't really want the CM Hyper 212+ mainly because I don't like its looks :D but the NH-D14 is a tad pricy but I always here it's the best air cooler out there. So does anyone know any Coolers that would look nicer than the 212+ and outperform it for less than the NH-D14.

I hear mixed comments on the Logitech G110 so does anyone have any other recommendations for a keyboard?

Would the cooling system on the GPU be good for overclocking it?

Is the OEM version of Windows 7 fine?

What other little things will I need to buy for the build? Just any needed tools, anti static wrist band, and Thermal Paste.

And Finally I guess if there is anything that you guys think I could switch out for better performance or to save some money feel free to say so.

I hope that's everything.

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I'm a first time builder myself, so I won't be able to help with everything. I wouldn't pay extra for the i7, you won't see much of a performance difference.

The parts look good to my knowledge but you'll definitely want extra verification on that.

The cooling system looks good for an air cooler, but unless you're doing some extreme overclocking I bet you can get away with a cheaper air cooler.

The OEM version of Windows is fine, I believe the only difference is you can't transfer Windows licenses with it to other computers.

You could get away with a 64 GB SSD but with your budget, I'd get a 128gb. Other programs will continue to put data in the Windows directory so your SSD space will fill up more and more over time.

Remember, I'm new. You'll want to get more people to verify this

Edit: Don't forget a surge protector

g-unit1111

Titan
That's an excellent build - these would be my suggestions:

Will I even need the i7-2600k for photo work? I really don't see the performance difference worth the extra $100.

That depends if you use Adobe CS5 or not. If the answer is yes - go for the 2600K. If not I'd go for the 2500K.

With the CPU cooling fan I don't really want the CM Hyper 212+ mainly because I don't like its looks :D but the NH-D14 is a tad pricy but I always here it's the best air cooler out there. So does anyone know any Coolers that would look nicer than the 212+ and outperform it for less than the NH-D14.

I wouldn't recommend the D14 if you're a first timer - a lot of cases don't meet the height requirements for the 140mm secondary fan that the D14 has. If you don't like the Hyper 212 you could try this article for some alternate suggestions. I really like the Akasa Voodoo Venom. Try this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/LGA-2011-i7-3960X-Air-Overclocking,3130.html

I hear mixed comments on the Logitech G110 so does anyone have any other recommendations for a keyboard?

I personally wouldn't spend $100 on a keyboard right now - I'd put that money elsewhere. I'd say put that into the GPU but you already have the best GPU on the market - the 7970.

Maybe use that to upgrade your PSU instead - try this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

Would the cooling system on the GPU be good for overclocking it?

The D14 is the single strongest air solution on the market - you can take the 2500K to 4.5 - 5.0 without breaking a sweat.

Is the OEM version of Windows 7 fine?

Yes - there's been debates on here about the legalities of using the OEM version but I've been using OEM versions going back to Win 95 and never run into a single issue with them.

What other little things will I need to buy for the build? Just any needed tools, anti static wrist band, and Thermal Paste.

The only tool you really need is a good philips head screw driver. Anything else - things like LEDs, and that sort of nature is completely worthless. You don't need extra thermal paste since the D14 includes a really excellent solution for it.

Edit: Don't forget a surge protector

They are a necessity but you can get one at Home Depot for $10 - the only way you'd need something extra is an APC but I wouldn't recommend them unless you live in an area prone to things like thunderstorms.

good choice.here's my suggestion-
keep the 2600k if you think you can take advantage of hyper threading in editing and other multi threaded apps.if not then get 2500k it's a great cpu.2600k and 2500k are similar in gaming.
here's a better psu for less price-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207016
both xfx and corsiar units are made by seasonic.
HAF X is great but its not a big advantage over 932.if you want to save some bucks then you can go with 932(a great case).
microsoft sidewinder x4 is a better choice.it's cheaper and all the 'required' gaming keyboard functions.
g500 is a great choice for mouse.
now your additional comments answers-
if you don't think so then cut down to 2500k.it's 'da best bang for da buck'.
your SSD is great.it's $200 but mushkin chronos 240gb is available for just $270.if you want it's a great deal.
for heatsink i agree D14 is a best but there are other coolers with les price and very less performance difference.if you don't like 212+ then take a look at 212 EVO-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
it's enough for 4ghz+ overclocks.
i told you about x4.it's great.
yes it's fine.
as you wish.TIM that comes with 212 evo is good enough.
as i told you if HAF X is your 'i want this thing' then keep it otherwise swap it out with other cheaper and good case.nzxt phantom is a great choice.so 500r.take a look both and decide -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067

this should work i guess.other things are fine.

but that psu is very expensive imo.it's a better choice-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207017
i know it's semi modular and silver certified but still it's a high quality unit and comes with an affordable price tag.i really like x850w:D but it's very expensive :( .

cia1413

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2012
If you ever plan on doing ANY video editing you NEED to get a GeForce card. CUDA acceleration is amazing, but i don't know if it would help in anyway for stills. Because of that i would recommend getting a GTX 580 or 570.

ragingcorey

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
O well guess I can live with the CM Hyper 212+. Maybe I'll add in a second fan just for fun.

I think that Cooler Master HAF X 942 is there to stay. It caught my eye immediately and I haven't found any other case on newegg that I like more.

I'm going to be using Adobe so I guess once I get the final price I will decide if I want the 2600k or not (I kinda do).

I don't want to spend almost $300 on a SSD so I'll probably stick with the Samsung since I have heard they are really reliable.

I don't know if I want the Sidewinder x4 because it wouldn't go with the pretty blue LEDs in the case :D Yes I care about looks. But on the other hand I have never heard anything bad about it.

And yeah $210 for the PSU is a little more than I want to spend so maybe I'll swap to that XFX. $135 after MIR sounds a lot better to me.

I won't be doing any video editing if I do it won't be more than editing something small for youtube. All I'm going to be doing is photo work. Plus gaming is the main focus for the build and I want the best GPU at the moment so I'm sticking with the 7970.

g-unit1111

Titan
I don't want to spend almost $300 on a SSD so I'll probably stick with the Samsung since I have heard they are really reliable.

Yes - the Samsung is an excellent choice - I like the Crucial M4 - but the 830 beats it according to some benchmarks.

O well guess I can live with the CM Hyper 212+. Maybe I'll add in a second fan just for fun.

Try the Noctua NH-U9B then - it would be a good halfway point between the 212 and the D14:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
for photoshop and corel draw u wont need any ht so here is the build

intel i5 2500k
corsair h80 if wc or cm hyper 212 evo
gskill ripjaws 2x 4 gb 1600 or corsair vengence LP 2X4 gb 1600
asus p6z68 lx mobo or sabertooth z68
saphire hd 7950 or xfx dd black edition hd 7950
cm storm trooper or haf x
seasonic 650w 80+bronse or 850w if xfire xfx and corsair psus are made by seasonic
samsung 830 mlc 128 gb ssd
seagate or wd carvier green 1tb hdd

this is an all rounder and will kick ass for 2-3 years
:D

I believe his original build is more powerful due to the better GPU.

ragingcorey

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
for photoshop and corel draw u wont need any ht so here is the build

Thanks, so I'm going to stick with the i5-2500k for now then. I'll upgrade to an i7 in the future when/if it becomes needed.

I think I've gotten most to all of the info I needed. So guess I'm off to order my parts.

Wish me luck :)

ragingcorey

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Actually I have one last question before I hit the order button.

Does the CM Hyper 212 Evo come with Thermal compound? and even if it does should I get some Arctic Silver 5 or will the stock compound be fine for overclocking up to 4.5 GHz?

EchoFahrenheit

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012

Yes it comes with thermal compound and it is quite a good one, my uncles is still going after 3 years

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes the Evo comes with some and as was stated - it's a good solution. I don't think you will notice that much of a difference between compounds but I don't really do enough OC'ing to really tell the difference.