Need help picking a graphics/video (mainly video) card

RMF72679

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hello,
I have a Gateway DX4860-UB21P with Intel 2000 HD graphics built in. I'm having issues with the HDMI port and long story short I want to drop in a dedicated graphics card to hook up to a nice new LED monitor. I have NO desire to game at all, thats why my xbox is for, but I would like as good as a performer I can get for video watching and what not for under $100. Mainly I just want something to max out internet vids and movies on my new display (which I haven't decided on yet) Anyway, everybody on here seems to know more than I could possibly learn anytime soon about this stuff so I thought I would ask, with no intent of game playing, what do you recommend for maximum video performance for around or under 100 bucks? I'd really appreciate any insight. Thank you.

Solution
gt 520 would suit your needs, they roughly go for 50.00 but can be had for much cheaper pending MIR.

They are ok for low end gaming so there is that option as well.

If your only watching videos, you don't really need to throw much money at a gpu.

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
gt 520 would suit your needs, they roughly go for 50.00 but can be had for much cheaper pending MIR.

They are ok for low end gaming so there is that option as well.

If your only watching videos, you don't really need to throw much money at a gpu.

Solution

RMF72679

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice, I actually had already bought a PNY Nvidia GT 520 but before I opened it or did anything with I started doing as I always do and had second thoughts and wanted to consult the experts before I commited and had it installed (yeah I'm that bad, I'm gonna pay somebody to put it in for me cuz I'd probably somehow set my computer on fire)

well dont pay them too much cos its a simple job

dont know the going rate outside the uk but would be unhappy to be charged more than £20 at a local

independent pc store

not one of the giant chains like pc world here--probably £100 in there--small local shop should take 10 minutes to do it

thats about $30 us

RMF72679

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

thanks bud, only prob is it takes a 400w power supply and mine only has 300w (probably should have put that in the original post) but thank you for the feedback

The listed requirements are not accurate. The HD6450 uses only 20w of power which is less than your GT 520. The 400w number is entirely fabricated.
But you already have the GT 520 and it will be fine for your purposes. Seriously though, do not pay someone to put it in. All you have to do it put the card in a slot on the motherboard and it can only fit in one slot. Taking the side off the computer is more difficult than actually installing the card.