High Def connector for non-hi-def TVs?...

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a large 63 inch projection TV, standard definition..it's got svhs and
component inputs. Have a dolby digital receiver too. Looking at the advanced
svhs av pack or the high def component av pack.

Would the high def look better than the svhs? Again its standard 480i but I
do want the clearest picture possible. Also want to make sure it will work
(I have a component dvd input in there now which works fine)

Any opinions who has a setup now..let me know..thanks!

Frank

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Frank. Yes, the advanced AV pack or high def component pack will work
with a standard resolution tv. Just make sure the xbox settings are set
accordingly. And yes, the component hook-up will provide a better image than
s-video. S video won't put through the whole 480 lines of resolution,
component however will. Futhermore, the colors should be more accurate with
component cables. If you want more info, check out www.hdtvarcade.com Last
time I checked, there was a link to a website showing the image quality
differences between hookups, with screenshots and all. Hope this helps

"frank" <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have a large 63 inch projection TV, standard definition..it's got svhs
> and component inputs. Have a dolby digital receiver too. Looking at the
> advanced svhs av pack or the high def component av pack.
>
> Would the high def look better than the svhs? Again its standard 480i but
> I do want the clearest picture possible. Also want to make sure it will
> work (I have a component dvd input in there now which works fine)
>
> Any opinions who has a setup now..let me know..thanks!
>
> Frank

frank <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Would the high def look better than the svhs? Again its standard 480i but I
> do want the clearest picture possible. Also want to make sure it will work
> (I have a component dvd input in there now which works fine)

You will see a difference between s-video and component video, even though
you aren't using HD or progressive scan. Component video does a better
job with black levels compared to s-video.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"frank" <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have a large 63 inch projection TV, standard definition..it's got svhs
and
> component inputs. Have a dolby digital receiver too. Looking at the
> svhs av pack or the high def component av pack.
>
> Would the high def look better than the svhs? Again its standard 480i but
> do want the clearest picture possible. Also want to make sure it will work
> (I have a component dvd input in there now which works fine)
>
> Any opinions who has a setup now..let me know..thanks!
>
> Frank

I'm using an HDTV, but I would recommend in your case to also use the HDAV
Pack with Component out. At 480i, the PQ improvment for Component versus
Svideo won't be as dramatic as the improvement of Svideo versus Composite,
but will offer some subtle improvement noneless. Fiber out for DD5.1 will,
obviously, be a major improvement over stereo. :^)

Cheers,
-Eric