Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Radeon 6950, 3 Monitors, too many problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2012 4:10:27 AM

This frustrates me.
I just bought the not-cheap AMD Radeon 6950 from Newegg because my old one sucked. Just got it on Friday, and I installed it today. I have three monitors, a brand new Acer HDMI 1920x1080 blah blah, an older LG DVI-D, and a significantly older Dell 1907FP (attatched with a DVI). Before I installed the new graphics card, I had the Acer hooked up with a DVI and the LG hooked up with a VGA; all was well. Now, I have the acer hooked up with HDMI, and the two others with DVI. The Acer is showing a shrunken image of the desktop with a half inch green border around it (the desktop is pretty poor quality). What the hell? Also, the graphics card is saying I am only allowed to have two displays at once (box said up to six). What am I missing that made this intended upgrade a major setback?
Thank you (hopefully).
January 1, 2012 4:22:52 AM

Ok, I fixed the scaling problem, it was underscanning it by 15% by default (stupid if you ask me).
Score

Best solution

January 1, 2012 4:25:03 AM

You will need to use an active displayport adapter to use more than 2 monitors on the card. They cost $25-30.
Related resources
January 1, 2012 4:39:26 AM

Quote:
You will need to use an active displayport adapter to use more than 2 monitors on the card. They cost $25-30.

That's the only way? It doesn't make sense to me that they would put two DVI's, an HDMI, and two of those mini things if it only allows two monitors at a time. Anyway, what's the best setup/purchase for the "active displayport adapter?"
Score
January 1, 2012 4:55:01 AM

Looking at the reviews and comments, I see some stuff about screen tearing. Is that something I should worry about? It seems pretty unavoidable either way.
Score
January 2, 2012 10:24:13 PM

Screen tearing occurs when your frame rate is higher than your refresh rate because the monitor can't keep up. Turning on V-Sync which forces the GPU to output frames at a rate equal to or below your refresh fixes the issue.
Score
January 2, 2012 10:29:51 PM

Best answer selected by jike27.
Score
!