Closed Solved

15-20 fps on Skyrim with Radeon 6850 and i7 2600K

Based on benchmarks, I should be able to run Skyrim at around 30-40fps right out of the box on Ultra settings, but even High settings are giving me frame rates around 15-25. My GPU is at 99% usage when I'm playing, but my i7 2600K (3.4GHz not overclocked yet) is only using 4 out of 8 cores at about 40% each.

When I lowered the resolution from my screen native of 1920x1200, frame rates jumped up, which seems to point to the GPU, but I don't know for sure. I have 8GB of memory, but I don't think that's the culprit if Skyrim can only use up to 4gb with the proper patch.

Anyone know how I can fix this problem? Thanks!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about skyrim radeon 6850 2600k
  1. do you have the latest catalyst drivers and skyrim updates installed?
  2. Update the drivers as the above (de5_roy) says.
  3. Yes, I have Skyrim 1.3.10 and when I hit Software Update in the Catalyst control panel, it says my software is up to date. I have Catalyst version 11.12.
  4. Best answer
    I had the same problem and I managed to get ~45fps by turning AA down to 2 or 4x. There's likely a better way to do it without sacrificing the graphics but so far this works best for me and I'm still running other settings on High-Ultra.
  5. I don't think 6850 can do ultra at high fps for skyrim. 5850/6870 is about the minimum, and they would only get like 30-45ish fps at 1080p. You can either set it on high, set it on ultra and lower a few settings, or upgrade the card. You also might want to check skyrimnexus, there might be something there that would make the game run a bit more smooth for you.
  6. Best answer selected by dogstardied.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Skyrim Intel i7 Graphics