[ Question ] Dedicated server --

Grady56

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Over the past 2-3 years I've been noodling in and out of web development and programming ( Programming mainly ), and have been really interested in developing/coding a website ( w/ HTML5, CSS3, JS, And PHP/ASP.NET ). I have actually purchased Web hosting from Godaddy.com, BUT It was an expense that wasn't very "well worth it". I have a stronger Hardware background than I do w/ Web Dev or Programming, and was wondering:

<< -- MY INTENDED USES FOR A DEDICATED SERVER ---- >>

1) Host a small 6-8 Page website

2) 60GB+ NAS For accessing Files

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Is a Dedicated server worth it ( Focusing strictly on overall control/functionality + its initial monetary value )?

2) I have heard this many times, "A dedicated server is bad cause' you have to think security", Yes worded that EXACT way to! XD. But really, Educated and honest: What kind of security is needed to Run a server that's Primary function is to host a small website? If it truly is to "Insecure" to do something like that, tell me why, It'll be easier for me to understand! :p

3) What should be the main focus of a server? Low TDP/Power draw? HDD Capacity or RAID? What? :)

Feel free to add any needed info about maintaining/using a Dedicated server.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'm going to answer your questions in reverse order.

The main focus of any server is going to be availability. If you want your website to be available 24/7, then you need to make sure you build it using reliable components. With the server being available 24/7, you need to consider power usage. With your server being available 24/7, you need to make sure that if a component fails, you have the ability to get it back up and running as soon as possible. With your server being available 24/7, you need to take steps to make sure your system isn't compromised by unwanted visitors.

Security will always be an issue. The only, truly secure system is one that is never connected to any other computer. If someone wants into your system, they'll get in. The idea is to make it so difficult for them to get in that they'll go looking for an easier target. The question isn't what kind of security do you need for running a small website. The question is what kind of security do you need to keep others from running whatever they want on your small web server.

As a developer (primarily database applications and custom reports), I have never come across a web hosting site that provides all the access I would need in order to properly maintain my site without a fee (and even then, full access was iffy). You need to determine what access you need and what support you require from a hosting site. You need to determine if the services provided meet your requirements. You need to determine if the hosting site provides you with the access and capabilities you require to maintain your site. Finally, you need to determine if the long-term expense of a hosting site is worth the cost of not having to maintain your own site.

On the flip side, have you considered the cost of hosting your own site? Most ISPs tend to frown upon setting up commercial services over consumer level agreements. How are you going to direct traffic to your site? Can your current service agreement with your ISP provide the bandwidth you'll need to service all your customers?

These are just some of the things you need to take into consideration. Hope it helps. Personally, I will always advocate building your own system to host your site, but you need to be willing and able to accept the cost.

-Wolf sends