Stuckinmuk

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hello,
this is my first PC build, shooting for a mid-level gaming PC. Any thoughts on this set up?
ASUS P8Z68 V Pro
i5 2500k (future oc)
EVGA GTX 570
Ripjaw 8GB ddr3 1600
Corsair TX650 psu
Corsair Carbide 400R

I'm pretty sure it will all fit in the case, I'm mainly wondering if I've mis-matched the GPU and PSU (is 650 enough?)

thanks.

edit: forgot to add - WD caviar blue 500 mb (leaving open for future SSD).
will also add a cooler in the future when I OC the CPU - waiting to see how much clearance I have in the case.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Looks like a nice rig! I'm assuming you already have an HDD and optical drive? Don't forget to budget for an aftermarket CPU cooler if you plan to OC. And keep in mind clearance issues with memory sticks with the fins. If you just use slots 2 and 4 on that mobo, you won't have clearance issues but you may if you intend to use all 4 in the future.....depending on the CPU cooler you end up with. I love that case. Also, Corsair has a utility on their website that will recommend PSU depending on your components. You will also need a $7 mobo speaker if you want to hear your POST beeps. My ASUS didn't have one....not sure on the Pro version.

g-unit1111

Titan
edit: forgot to add - WD caviar blue 500 mb (leaving open for future SSD).
will also add a cooler in the future when I OC the CPU - waiting to see how much clearance I have in the case.

Good choice with the Corsair case - if you're worried about space constraints I have one, and it has *PLENTY* of room to support any cooler you throw at it. The Carbide could easily support a Noctua D14 if you wanted to.

I definitely agree about switching out the PSU - get one that is at least a 750W and a bit more energy efficient - try this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

If your budget allows I'd look at getting a small SSD for a boot drive - it will increase your load times drastically, try this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

Stuckinmuk

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Thanks all for your input. The PSU was definitely my one concern for future expansion.
My other thought was to spend more $$ up front on a better PSU vs. the GTX 570 (but the GTX sure looks like a nice card.)

The PSU selector on the Corsair web-site seems to indicate that the minimum PSU size for SLI or cross fire starts at 750 and up.

Stuckinmuk

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
We have some older games such as Riven & Myst, plus newer ones like Skyrim, Portal II. The older ones should be fine, it's the new (& future games) I need to plan for. From what I've read, Skyrim shoud be fine with this setup, maybe just not in the highest mode.

g-unit1111

Titan

The 570TI and 560TI are excellent cards - you can't go wrong either way.

A good rule of thumb is whatever the minimum wattage your PSU calculator recommends, add 50W for overclocking and 100W if you plan to add a second video card.

A better PSU is always a plus. I have a TX850W Corsair and a 2500K, HD5870 so I don't need that much. But it will last longer as it wont have to push itself so hard to power the components.

Also, try to get the P8Z68-v Pro/Gen3. The difference is the Gen3 will support PCIe 3.0 should you decide to upgrade to a Ivy Bridge CPU. The non Gen3 will support Ivy Bridge but not PCIe 3.0 and it never hurts to have the next gen PCIe even though we wont saturate PCIe 2.0 for a few years.

EzioAs

Distinguished
With a 570, it's probably not a mid-range gaming pc anymore and I do agree with people suggesting 750W for more headroom for future upgrades. While I normally don't prefer pre-filled liquid cooler, try looking at the antec kuhler 620. It's about $50 and performs where it should be plus no clearance issue with memory heatsink whatsoever.

g-unit1111

Titan

Tom's didn't like the Antec Kuhler - it didn't fare well in a recent comparison with the Corsair H60:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h2o-h80-h100-benchmark-overclocking,3084.html

Go with the EVGA M020 if you're considering that type of cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835288001

EzioAs

Distinguished

It's just a suggestion if he wants pre-filled liquid cooler. I really prefer high-end air cooler such as the D14 which is cheaper than the H100 but performs just as well, but most people tend to avoid tower type cooler these days.

Stuckinmuk

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Yes, thank you for that. It is the P8Z68-V Pro/gen3 I've got ready to order. Also upgraded to the Corsair 750 PSU.