Computer starts for a sec, then turns off, then finally boots up.

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hi all!

I had this problem with my previous build. The computer would start for a second or two when i powered up, then it would turn off for another second or two, maybe 3, and then finally start up with 1 beep and all is well. My previous build finally died when it shut off as i plugged in usb cable, and then turning it on gave me no video -- if that means anything. I'm thinking my Thermaltake Tough Power 700w PSU is flaky since that's the same PSU. I tested my outlet and it's grounded, and since i have an all new motherboard, cpu and memory, it has to be the PSU, is that right?

Now i do have the same case, but that couldn't be it, could it?? The power in my apartment has been flaky as well, but i'm not sure how that would affect my computer starting and stopping like that.

Am I on the right track, or am i missing something here? Does a new PSU sound like the right way to go, or should I look into getting a UPS battery backup/surge protector to plug my pc into? I thought Thermaltake PSUs was a good brand and it's not that old, but maybe i got a defective one.

This has happened twice now, the very first time i turned this new build on, which took me to the bios screen asking me to choose what to do with my new config, and tonight. I'm guessing, but i've probably had at least 10 boots in between, and no more than 20.

Thanks for your help! I'm really sweating bullets over this. Once, especially the first time i turn on this motherboard, i can accept, but not twice. :heink:

Solution
Ah finally.. some one who shares my problem! haha

Ive had this issue now for a long time, and I think Ive managed to put it down to (as @popatim mentions above) the fact that my CPU is Overclocked, and so when my system boots, it goes into the BIOS, sees my OC settings, then reboots with those setting enabled.

As with you, it doesnt do this every time however - and will sometimes go for days without doing it, then decides its gunna double boot again

Gallarian

Distinguished
Ah finally.. some one who shares my problem! haha

Ive had this issue now for a long time, and I think Ive managed to put it down to (as @popatim mentions above) the fact that my CPU is Overclocked, and so when my system boots, it goes into the BIOS, sees my OC settings, then reboots with those setting enabled.

As with you, it doesnt do this every time however - and will sometimes go for days without doing it, then decides its gunna double boot again

Solution

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hm... Well my i5 3750k is overclocked for sure, using Easytune 6, plus i think it's just oc'd by default with that "turbo" thing. I don't think my old CPU was overclocked, but who knows, maybe the old motherboard was having some issue like that as well.

Do you guys really think that's it?

popatim

Titan
Well Asus boards seem to have this problem sometimes too so its hard to tell. You can try loading failsafe bios setting and that should remove any OC'ing. You may want to save your current bios to an file for easy reloading first. I beleive most boards support this now.

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Well I was going to go out and get a new PSU, buy I'll try that first. It's just that that it freaks me out when it does that so i was panicking that it might be a bad PSU that was about to fry my system -- especially since my last build just turned off out of the blue, although i think that was because the heatsink wasn't attached properly and it fried the CPU. It might have been an Asus MB that i was using before, i'm not sure, but i do have one.

Funny thing is, it doesn't do it all the time, although it's possible that i may have changed the OC settings in Easytune before my last boot up, and that caused it to do the delay boot thing.

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
It looks like that was it! I went back into Easytune 6 in Windows (on my Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H) and set it to default so that the Turbo Boost would be controlling the overclock, and now it boots right up -- so far (lol). It was weird, it would also shut off completely and then boot when I did a restart from Windows. And guess what, popatim, my last board WAS an Asus!

So I think that's solved. But I'm not liking the voltage that Turbo Boost is using -- 1.368-1.380. That is awfully high according to everything I've read on this forum. Anyway thanks guys! I don't think I would've figured that one out. You guys are smart. :love:

I gave best answer to Gallarian only because he/she was lower in points. You both were a big help!

Thanks guys! :D