Your question

Help with liquid cooling

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Build
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 19, 2012 5:55:00 AM

I need some help choosing a good liquid cooling system for my computer build. Here is my build.

-InWin Dragon Rider case
-EVGA P67 FTW Mobo
-i7- 2600K
-16gb G Skill RAM
-nvidia GTX 460
-60gb Ocz SSD
-1tb HDD
-Kingpin 1000w PS

More about : liquid cooling

June 19, 2012 6:01:38 AM

Nice case choice there :) 
are you looking for lower temps or noise?
whats your ambient temps like? (Room temp)
whats being cooled?
and have you checked out the W/c sticky in overclocking?
thats the best place to start, also we need an idea of what you call acceptable budget,
did you want an all in one system or a fullblown custom loop?
and can you modify if needed?
Moto
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:11:11 AM

What do you want to cool?
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2012 6:34:35 AM

By liquid cool i hope you don't mean pretend water cooling such as in closed loop If your going to water cool don't insult real water cooling the H-100 is a disgrace and absolutely a joke And,corsair and whoever they had make the H-100 and rest of the H series should be ashamed.This is good for beginner and worthy to be called entry level water cooling! http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ra750rswakit.html
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:59:41 AM

^Thats why I asked him to define his requirements, no point in us outlining a $700 loop if he wants a Fisherprice job :p 
Moto
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:30:48 AM

^ LOL! Yeah, your right.
m
l
June 19, 2012 5:23:28 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Nice case choice there :) 
are you looking for lower temps or noise?
whats your ambient temps like? (Room temp)
whats being cooled?
and have you checked out the W/c sticky in overclocking?
thats the best place to start, also we need an idea of what you call acceptable budget,
did you want an all in one system or a fullblown custom loop?
and can you modify if needed?
Moto

-Lower temps. I don't really care about noise.
-Room temperature I could not tell you because I will be moving into a new house and don't know what the temperatures are like
- I'd like my CPU, chipset, and GPU cooled. I don't feel that I need anything else cooled.
-Most likely custom loop because it's more tailored to what I will be doing.
-Would rather stay away from modifying. But if need be some simple modding would be okay.
m
l
June 19, 2012 5:29:03 PM

Budget wise, I am not positive at this point but it just depends on the system. i probably wouldn't go above 400
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:00:31 PM

The Dragon rider will fit a 360 rad up top and that will cover you for a non-Oc'd set up, if you are clocking then you will require more radspace and external mount/modding will be on the cards,
an RX240 fits nicely on top though :) 
the chipset doesn't 'need' cooling and add restriction to the loop, plus Mobo blocks can be very expensive so for the price alone i'd leave that out,
Cpu/Gpu very doable on 400, but is that GBP or USD?
have you checked out the W/c sticky btw? if you use that to calculate the tdp of your gear we can more accurately decide on the rad needed
Moto
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:16:55 PM

I know XSPC do a chipset cooler for £14
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:32:00 PM

http://shop.xs-pc.com/xsp/XSPC-Delta-V3-Chipset_25394.h...
Three of those is £42, then theres six fittings on top, it would add a fair whack to the receipt
I think concentrating on the Cpu/Gpu part for now and considering adding the chipset later if Op still wants to expand is the best way forward here
Moto
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:48:51 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
The Dragon rider will fit a 360 rad up top and that will cover you for a non-Oc'd set up, if you are clocking then you will require more radspace and external mount/modding will be on the cards,
an RX240 fits nicely on top though :) 
the chipset doesn't 'need' cooling and add restriction to the loop, plus Mobo blocks can be very expensive so for the price alone i'd leave that out,
Cpu/Gpu very doable on 400, but is that GBP or USD?
have you checked out the W/c sticky btw? if you use that to calculate the tdp of your gear we can more accurately decide on the rad needed
Moto

Ya I won't be over clocking. I'm really new to LC setups. I've only air cooled in a dragon rider before and with this same setup. My max load temp was 45C. But I want the flashiness of LC and it's better. So I want the right mix of flashiness with the right amount of cooling. So rad and all these other units don't mean much to me. :) 
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:48:54 PM

Rad is short for radiator, thats the part that takes the heat out of the loop,
check out the sticky as recommended, and google any terms you are unsure of for explanations,
If you want flash, then a nice look for that case is a rad on top of the roof, makes it look nicely agressive hehe
I'd also go for a universal block on the Gfx card, you can reuse them when you upgrade the card in future, although they do require some heatsinks to cool ram as well, they cost very little,
any pics of your rig as it is?
that way I can check out possible set ups for you, mines a lot different to a standard Rider
Moto
m
l
June 20, 2012 1:11:15 AM

That's my rig. The power supply is different but all in all the same.
m
l
June 20, 2012 1:37:14 AM

Damn thats messy, I need to beat you with an Ide cable till you tidy those up :-p
I'll post a pic of mine when I get home
Moto
m
l
June 20, 2012 1:57:03 AM

mmm 550ti's ;)  Folding me gusta.
m
l
June 20, 2012 2:13:04 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Damn thats messy, I need to beat you with an Ide cable till you tidy those up :-p
I'll post a pic of mine when I get home
Moto

I take that back because my build isn't finished yet. That is my parents computer that I built them. That PS was from 6 years ago and since then they have gotten a modular one and the cables look a lot different.

I am running a Lazer modular 1000w PS and have one GTX 460. So the cables are definitely better. This picture is before I tore their's down and re did it completely as well as built mine.

So the cables don't look like that anymore.
m
l
June 20, 2012 2:25:04 AM

Glad to hear it hehe
Moto
m
l
June 20, 2012 7:08:02 AM

So where should I start looking for parts first? Or what are some good parts to put into my build?
m
l
June 20, 2012 2:41:13 PM

Heres mine,

See? tidy cables and tubing hehe :p 
*Edit, older pic though, my cards are both modded to Wc now as well

if you check the sticky, theres a lot of links for US sites to check out,
you should calculate the tdp of your components and then we can assess how much rad you need, and then we can figure how to fit it in/on your build,
I'd suggest one of the D5 equipped Xspc kits though as a starter, the pumps strong enough to add the cards to the loop
Moto
m
l
June 21, 2012 12:48:51 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Heres mine,
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/Tomsdiagrams/IMAG0564.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/Psycho%20Rider/IMAG0501.jpg

See? tidy cables and tubing hehe :p 
*Edit, older pic though, my cards are both modded to Wc now as well
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/Tomsdiagrams/IMAG0560.jpg
if you check the sticky, theres a lot of links for US sites to check out,
you should calculate the tdp of your components and then we can assess how much rad you need, and then we can figure how to fit it in/on your build,
I'd suggest one of the D5 equipped Xspc kits though as a starter, the pumps strong enough to add the cards to the loop
Moto

When I went to http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine. It came out as 494watt.
m
l
!