Sign in with
Your question

Alienware Aurora will not turn on after blowing it out.

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2012 11:57:36 PM

Today I decided to do some routine cleaning on my Alienware desktop. I pulled out the two ATI Radeon HD 5770's blew air across them, the fans and everything. No moisture got on anything. Now when I put everything back in. Connected the two cards. Put the power connections on them. Closed my PC case and plugged it back in.

When I press the power button on the front nothing happens. Not even a jolt of power or anything. There is a "FAN" button on the power-supply that I can press and it powers up all the fans.

Does anyone know a way to power up my PC not using the power button on the front to test if it is that? Or does anyone have any advice here? Is there some magical power-supply reset button that I dont know about on prebuild Alienware PC's?
March 4, 2012 1:51:52 AM

Double check all connectors and re-seat your RAM. Then, try again.
m
l
March 5, 2012 10:36:55 AM

COLGeek said:
Double check all connectors and re-seat your RAM. Then, try again.

UPDATE**

Ok I've done all that and it didn't fix the issue. There is a little bit of a change in the symptons to this issue though. I plugged in my PC and it actually turned on all by itself without pushing the power button at all. It shut itself down after about 20 seconds and then restarted itself. The computer beeps three times in a row and then started up completely and I was able to use it for the last two days without a single issue. I had never shut it down in the timeframe. When I went to shut it down last night the computer shut down entirely, but the lights and fans that were on stayed running.

It wouldn't shut down do I opted to do a manual shut down. I held in the power button and like at first, nothing happened. So I had no option but to pull out the power.

Now when I went to turn it back on again I am going through my same issue. I dont think its any issues with the PC's components itself.

I also switched out the BIOS battery on the motherboard just to be sure since I've seen a few people claim that this could be the issue.

So that is where I am at right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2012 10:44:57 AM

Pulling the power allows the system to work again? If so, that is the sign of a failing power supply (PSU).
m
l
March 5, 2012 10:50:23 AM

COLGeek said:
Pulling the power allows the system to work again? If so, that is the sign of a failing power supply (PSU).

No pulling the power cord was the only way to get it to shut down completely. No my problem is the same as in the beginning where pushing the power button does nothing. But the "fan" button still works and powers all the fans.
m
l
March 5, 2012 11:34:02 AM

So is the general consensus here that my PSU is in need of being replaced or is there something else going on?
m
l
March 5, 2012 1:25:19 PM

I would swap the PSU with a known good one, if available, to see if it helps.
m
l
March 5, 2012 1:30:36 PM

COLGeek said:
I would swap the PSU with a known good one, if available, to see if it helps.

Well the thing that sucks is that Alienware has a that special PSU connector so I dont have another laying around. So I will have to order one from Dell unless I basically rewire the whole case.
m
l
March 5, 2012 3:35:14 PM

How old is your Aurora? Alienware stopped using proprietary PSUs a while back.
m
l
March 5, 2012 3:38:25 PM

COLGeek said:
How old is your Aurora? Alienware stopped using proprietary PSUs a while back.

I bought it like a year ago, its got that wiring harness from all the hardware and it all goes into one big connector which i've not seen.
m
l
March 5, 2012 3:56:31 PM

That is okay, the motherboard should still have a a standard 24-pin and 4 (or 8) pin power connector. Some of what you are seeing in terms of cabling is the Alienware's intricate wiring harness for the LED system.
m
l
March 5, 2012 3:57:55 PM

BTW, is this rig still under warranty? If so, you should contact Dell/Alienware ASAP!
m
l
June 21, 2012 7:25:11 AM

Hi, did you fix your Aurora? mine started doing exactly the same last week, don't fancy having to buy a new psu unless one is realy needed!
m
l
July 17, 2012 5:33:24 PM

Fixed one by some combination of holding in button on power supply and pressing main power. Then pressing only main power the system turned on. Sorry I can't be more helpful but it was basically random pressing that eventually made it work.
m
l
July 23, 2012 7:34:56 PM

i bought a cheap secondhand one from ebay in the US, 1100W Alienware PSU cost me £32 but everything is working :) 
m
l
!