"1 long beep, 2 short beeps" issues with Gigabyte m/board

andyg82

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with a new PC I have assembled and am receiving "1 long beep, 2 short beeps" on start up of the machine, and nothing displayed on the monitor. I am trying to get it started up for the first time using the onboard graphics.

I already have been through every possible step here.

What I can't test is the PSU - I don't have a spare to check it with or a multimeter. I also can't test if a graphics card will work as I don't have one yet. I did read here that because my processor doesn't provide a GPU, I can't use the onboard graphics? I can't validate this however - can anyone else confirm?

I have the motherboard out and on the box, all that is installed in the CPU and the memory. I've connected the 24 pin motherboard power, and 2x4 pin connectors for the CPU. (are the other 4 pins for the integrated graphics? My manual doesn't elaborate).

If anyone has any advice at all on how to troubleshoot this further it will be very gratefully received! :sol:

Hardware specs

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Intel Z68 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA 1155), Intel Z68 Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 7.1-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, CrossFireX/SLI Ready

Processor: Intel BX80623I52550K Core i5-2550K Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan, Retail

Memory: Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - 1600MHz, 4x4096MB, Non-ECC, Unbuffered

PSU: Thermaltake TRX-650M TR2 RX 650-Watt Modular Power Supply - 650W, 140mm Fan, ATX, Modular, 80 Plus

andyg82

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Sorry, meant to add that to the description:

It says "Monitor or graphics card error" ... but I'm using the onboard graphics, so not sure if it's saying I need to add a dedicated graphics card?

andyg82

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I was able to borrow a graphics card and using this, I am able to get the normal 'single beep' and see the screen... progress! :bounce:

Now I need to get it back to work on the onboard VGA so I can give the graphics card back. In the BIOS I've set Init Display First to "Onboard" and "Onboard VGA" to "Always Enable", but I still get no output when I connect the VGA, and am back to "one long beep, two short beeps" and no output when I remove the graphics card.

Is it possible I have dead onboard graphics?

andyg82

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Think I figured this one out - the i5-2550k doesn't support onboard graphics so that's why it didn't work. Shame I didn't realise this earlier as I may have gone for a different motherboard as I always planning to upgrade to a dedicated graphics card in the long run.

Hope this helps anyone else who's runs into the same problem.

TRENDING THREADS