Sign in with
Your question

My First time to build a gaming PC! :D

Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2012 1:40:34 AM

Hello, This is my First time to build a gaming PC ever! All my parts are almost here and I'm only waiting for my CPU, GPU, and PSU to come. I am very excited and kind of nervous because its my first time. Can you guys tell a tips to build and what to do and what not to do? anything! I appreciate it!! :D  Well this is my upcoming computer specification.

CPU : Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5 GHz LGA 1155 Processor BX80623I72700K (changed from Intel i5 2500)

MOBO : MSI LGA1155 Intel Z68 G3 DDR3 CrossFireX & SLI SATA3 & USB3.0 ATX Motherboard - Z68A-GD65 (G3)

GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Dual DVI/HDMI/Display Port SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 012-P

PSU : Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000 Series Modular 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Active PFC Power Supply RSA00-AMBAJ3-US

CPU cooler : Corsair CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - Socket LGA775, LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA1366, Core i5, Core i7

RAM : Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit

Hard Drive : Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA II 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS

Optical Drive : Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

CASE : NZXT Technologies TEMPEST 210 Massive Mesh Style Midtower Case with USB 3.0

In the future I might/kinda want to OC and SLI. And I want to do the eyefinity thing with 3 monitors because its looks badass! I will be adding more RAM and my Blue ray sooner or later. haha! Can you guys tell me what I'm missing here? and thank you in ADVANCE! :D 

More about : time build gaming

March 4, 2012 2:02:18 AM

Nice Build!!! Everything looks pretty sick and honestly would be good. but if you wanted to here's a few changes you could make.

SSD: You could put in a SSD which is a lot faster than a regular HDD.

RAM: Good ram but check out G.Skill Ram and possibly upgrade to 16gb?? To help load programs and games faster.

CASE: Good cool looking case, but I'd recomend checking out the CoolerMaster HAF series. They are some of the best cases on the market and have amazing airflow and cable management.

Those aren't necessary but could speed up the machine some.
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:06:07 AM

Oh ok but the case is already here. And Yea I will be adding more RAM in the future so it will equal to 16g and I think thats pretty beastly. And for SSD I don't really know what it does exactly. Can you give me some information? Thanks bro.
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2012 2:17:39 AM

Looks like a pretty good build to me. I have the same Motherboard. No problems.
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:21:18 AM

Drop the 2700k down to a 2600k and raise the multiplier by one = Performance of 2700k but cheaper.

If only for gaming a 2500k sometimes has better performance due to the fact Hyperthreading is detrimental to some games.

3. Instead of h60 you could achieve better cooling with something like th Noctua Nh-d14

4. Can you wait until 600 series GPU or else go for a Radeon 7970. Better value and wont be outdated as quickly

My .02c
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:34:51 AM

@ Lowlyworm Damn that CPU cooler is a BEAST! lol but It might not have enough space. I got my H60 cooler in tigerdirect for $50 in sales :D D and I have read some good reviews. I would probably bought this or something else if I didn't see the deal haha. And for CPU $10 - $20 difference from Intel i7 2600k. I was aiming for a future use too like a PC that will be with me for a long time. yea thanks this is it! NO MORE regrets! I bought i5 2500, GTX 560 SC, and a bad PSU and returned them right when they came because I know i could go a little more. *cross fingers now** This monday I will start assembling them! ^.^

m
l
March 4, 2012 2:47:34 AM

So my only question now is what do I do when I assemble everything together? Like when I turned on the power and everything works perfectly. Do I just put in the OS?

2nd. What does SSD actually do? Can you guys suggest me a cheap and good SSD?

p.s. thank you guys and toms hardware! :) 
m
l
March 4, 2012 6:12:27 AM

SSDs have no mechanical parts, so they don't need to take time to start up. They will allow your system to be very much more responsive. All applications, games and files on the SSD will load much faster; even loading times in games will be drastically reduced. Files will be accessed much faster due to an SSD not breaking up the data and storing it in different sectors. SSDs can access that data without much effort.
m
l
March 4, 2012 8:25:22 AM

so the parts arrived?

U should have wait for final

what i liked:)  - gpu,mobo,ram,cooler,psu
what i dont:(  - cpu,case,hdd

cpu - what are u going to do,do u do heavy rendering,hd video editing.or folding@home

if not then i7 2700k is overkill
if only gaming minor photo editing and watching an i5 2500k is what u needed but if u bought never mind.:) 

case: that case is not bad but ok the construction is not like corsair and cooler master

hdd - u dont even think of how hdd works.never keep ur wd carvier green as boot disk. It a nightmare for programs and takes forver to boot and load programs.i have a wd carvier green and it takes more than 50 sec to just come to the desktop and another 1.5 min to load every thing

what is a ssd?

A ssd or solid state drive is just like ur pendrive and like ram or the bios chip or rom in ur mobo. There is no moving part and super fast ,uses less power,no noise, does not vibrate and low maintanance.
It is compact and saturates the sata 2 3gb.it has higher cost per gb . It is 3xfaster than the faster than veloci rapter and 2.5 x than cheetha 15k and 5 x normal hdd.

Here is a comparision between cost

5.2k and 7.2k hdd- 0.075 to 0.125 usd per gb
10khdd - 0.5 to 0.75 usd per gb
15 k hdd- 0.90 to 1.80 usd per gb
mlc ssd - 1.65 to 3 usd
slc ssd -5 to 6 usd per gb

revo drive - 2.5 to 3.2 usd per gb

performance

7.2 k hdd- x1
10 k hdd - x 1.5 to x2
15 k hdd - x 2 to 3
mlc ssd - x 4 to x5
slc ssd - x5 to x6
pci e slot(revo drive ) mlc ssd - x10 to x15

this might give u an idea what performance and price does various storage give:) 

get a 60gb mlc ssd of any company but a 120gb is recomended.

Ur build is superb and play games at ultra settings:D 
m
l
March 4, 2012 6:01:38 PM

ok Im looking at some SSDs and this is what I saw Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2. I think its a right price and a right capacity. what do you guys think?
m
l
!