question about Motorola Timeport P7389

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
Band."

Trying out the phone here in the United States (it is roaming on a
Voicestream band), I cannot get the "change band" option to appear.
Under "Network Selection," there are options for "Available Networks,"
"Network Search," "Preferred Networks," and "Find New Network," but
nothing that says "Change Band."

Does anyone know if this would be a network-related feature that will
show up when I am in the UK? Or is the phone likely to be defective?

Thanks very much.

--
George Johnson
johnson AT santafe DOT edu

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:05:50 -0600, George Johnson
    <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:

    >I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
    >month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
    >instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
    >scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
    >Band."
    >
    > Trying out the phone here in the United States (it is roaming on a
    >Voicestream band), I cannot get the "change band" option to appear.
    >Under "Network Selection," there are options for "Available Networks,"
    >"Network Search," "Preferred Networks," and "Find New Network," but
    >nothing that says "Change Band."
    >
    > Does anyone know if this would be a network-related feature that will
    >show up when I am in the UK? Or is the phone likely to be defective?
    >

    > Thanks very much.
    The question is the source on the P7389. In the 'branding', the
    ability to change bands may have been removed. I know on unlocked
    phones it works, because I used mine all over the world before I
    retired it.

    The other possiblity is that it buried in either find new network, or
    network search. As I recall there are 3 settings, 900Mhz only,
    900/1800Mhz, and 1900Mhz.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    In alt.cellular.gsm George Johnson <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:

    > I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
    > month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
    > instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
    > scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
    > Band."

    This will likely happen automatically, I've never had a tri-band
    phone that required manual intervention like that. They scan for any
    frequency they can find service on and use that.

    > Trying out the phone here in the United States (it is roaming on a
    > Voicestream band), I cannot get the "change band" option to appear.
    > Under "Network Selection," there are options for "Available Networks,"
    > "Network Search," "Preferred Networks," and "Find New Network," but
    > nothing that says "Change Band."

    It probably doesn't give you the option because, out of the
    three frequencies the phone will do, there is only one in the US it will
    work on. It doesn't see any other networks available besides the one
    you're on. If the phone radio works here, it's highly unlikely that the
    radio is broken only for the other two (European) frequencies, don't
    worry about it.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:09:29 +0000 (UTC), "B.M. Wright"
    <bmwright@xmission.com> wrote:

    >In alt.cellular.gsm George Johnson <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:
    >
    >> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
    >> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
    >> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
    >> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
    >> Band."
    >
    > This will likely happen automatically, I've never had a tri-band
    >phone that required manual intervention like that. They scan for any
    >frequency they can find service on and use that.
    You obviously haven't owned a Motorola Phone. Ericsson phones will
    search, Motorola TimePorts don't!
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    In article <db91l9$re8$1@news.xmission.com>,
    B.M. Wright <bmwright@xmission.com> wrote:
    >In alt.cellular.gsm George Johnson <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:
    >
    >> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
    >> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
    >> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
    >> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
    >> Band."
    >
    > This will likely happen automatically, I've never had a tri-band
    >phone that required manual intervention like that. They scan for any
    >frequency they can find service on and use that.

    Phones of that vintage most definitely did require intervention.
    On my old P280 (the successor to the P7389) you had a "network setup"
    menu in which you had to choose between 1900 and 900/1800.

    It was only with the next generation (280i) that there was an "automatic"
    bandswitch mode which was the default.

    If the "network setup" is missing from his menus, it may be a
    customization requested by the carrier that issued the phone.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    Thank you both very much. I bought this from a phone store on the Web.
    They described it as a three-band "world phone," and didn't say
    anything about its being used. I was a little surprised when I received
    it and found it branded as an AT&T. It has been unlocked though -- I
    can roam in the U.S. with a Virgin Mobile sim card. But maybe it's not
    going to work on the other bands. If AT&T had requested a modification
    would that likely involve the firmware?

    --
    George Johnson
    johnson AT santafe DOT edu

    If you see only 1900band, then it was pre-programmed that way. When the 7389
    was originally manufactured, there were single band and triband models.

    I suspect you purchased a single band model unfortunately manufactured
    primarily for Tmobile USA (Omnipoint/Voicestream back then) and a few AT&T
    systems as they started to roll out GSM.

    Motorola charged a significantly higher fee for Triband vs. single band
    models as the technlogy was still new then.

    So its not defective but in all likelihood will not function outside the
    USA. Hope you can get a refund.

    --
    Steve
    "George Johnson" <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote in message

    > I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
    > month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
    > instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
    > scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
    > Band."
    >
    > Trying out the phone here in the United States (it is roaming on a
    > Voicestream band), I cannot get the "change band" option to appear.
    > Under "Network Selection," there are options for "Available Networks,"
    > "Network Search," "Preferred Networks," and "Find New Network," but
    > nothing that says "Change Band."
    >
    > Does anyone know if this would be a network-related feature that will
    > show up when I am in the UK? Or is the phone likely to be defective?
    >

    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > --
    > George Johnson
    > johnson AT santafe DOT edu
    > http://talaya.net
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    In article <nOZBe.11354$aY6.4732@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    Steve <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:

    > If you see only 1900band, then it was pre-programmed that way. When the 7389
    > was originally manufactured, there were single band and triband models.
    >
    > I suspect you purchased a single band model unfortunately manufactured
    > primarily for Tmobile USA (Omnipoint/Voicestream back then) and a few AT&T
    > systems as they started to roll out GSM.

    Thank you very much. That makes good sense. I have also since heard
    from Motorola, which confirmed that a triband world phone should be
    displaying the "change band" option. I've sent an email to the seller
    requesting a refund.

    --
    George Johnson
    johnson AT santafe DOT edu

    I do not think they can remove the ability to change bands. That makes
    not sense! I use this phone briefly a while back. You have to change
    the band manually under the "network selection" menu. There should be
    an option to change bands. Currently the 1900 band will have a
    checkmark next to it. Use the up/down menu button to select the
    900/1800 band when you get to UK.

    Look very well. Here is an excerpt from the manual:

    Change Band
    The country where you purchased your phone determines the
    default band that it uses. Phones purchased in the USA default to
    the GSM 1900 band. Phones purchased elsewhere normally
    default to the GSM 900/1800 band. When you travel abroad, you
    must remember to change to an appropriate band.
    Use this option to change the band of operation for your phone.
    The country where you purchased your phone also determines
    which of the following options are available:
    • GSM 900/1800 (referred to as 900/1800)
    • GSM 1900 (referred to as 1900)
    When you select Change Band, your phone prompts you to
    Select Band. Press O and then use the ª key to scroll
    through the options. Press O to select the band you require.
    When you select a new band, your phone displays the
    confirmation message Changed to XXX. and then automatically
    searches all the available networks.
    Your phone then attempts to register with a preferred network
    within the selected band.
    If you re-select the currently selected band, the confirmation
    message still appears but the band is not changed and the phone
    does not attempt to register with any other network.
    When selected, this option will scan to see which networks are
    operating in your current location. When the scan is complete,
    press the ª key to scroll through the list. When you see a
    network you wish to register with or store in your preferred list,
    press the O key. You will now enter the Register Now and
    Make Preferred sub-menu.

    --
    mrcamp
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    In article <dba04f$f32$1@news.xmission.com>, B.M. Wright
    <bmwright@xmission.xmission.com> wrote:

    > I'd recommend a Sony Ericsson T39m

    Thanks a lot. I'll check that out.

    George

    --
    George Johnson
    johnson AT santafe DOT edu

    "Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
    > If the "network setup" is missing from his menus, it may be a
    > customization requested by the carrier that issued the phone.

    It may also be that he was sold a single-band look-alike. The voice of
    experience is speaking here. I got burned on one of those. Check the numbers
    on the tag under the battery. You may have just been taken.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    In article <150720050805500298%see.address@bottom.to.reply>,
    George Johnson wrote:

    > I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
    > month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
    > instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
    > scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
    > Band."

    You might want to look at the Motorola C380 (or C381 in some places).
    It is a triband 900/1800/1900 phone with a color screen, USB port
    (for use as a modem or to manage your phone book or ringtones),
    color screen etc.

    My wife just got one here from Orange Israel and it works pretty well.

    She could not get an English manual from them and while I was searching
    for one, I found that you can buy them UNLOCKED from dealers in the
    U.S. for about $110 not including cable or software.

    Geoff.

    --
    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM
    IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

    "B.M. Wright" <bmwright@xmission.com> wrote in message
    > In alt.cellular.gsm George Johnson <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:
    >
    >> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
    >> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
    >> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
    >> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
    >> Band."
    >
    > This will likely happen automatically, I've never had a tri-band
    > phone that required manual intervention like that. They scan for any
    > frequency they can find service on and use that.

    No, it didn't used to happen automatically. My Motorola P280 you had to
    change it manually, and even my Razr V3 has settings not to cover both
    regions.

    Steve
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:49:53 -0700, Steven de Mena <demenas@comcast.net> wrote:

    >"B.M. Wright" <bmwright@xmission.com> wrote in message
    >> In alt.cellular.gsm George Johnson <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
    >>> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
    >>> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
    >>> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
    >>> Band."
    >>
    >> This will likely happen automatically, I've never had a tri-band
    >> phone that required manual intervention like that. They scan for any
    >> frequency they can find service on and use that.
    >
    >No, it didn't used to happen automatically. My Motorola P280 you had to
    >change it manually, and even my Razr V3 has settings not to cover both
    >regions.

    My L7089, T250 and T280 all required manual switching. My V500 and V545
    can be switched to one of 900/1800, 850/1900 or "Automatic".

    Does anyone know if using "Automatic" to listen on all 4 bands uses more
    power than having it set for 900/1800 (and switching it when I'm in
    USA/Canada)?

    --
    -- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
    Eridani Star System

    MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk/
    Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.mailmeanywhere.com/
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    >Does anyone know if using "Automatic" to listen on all 4 bands uses more
    >power than having it set for 900/1800 (and switching it when I'm in
    >USA/Canada)?
    The phone only operates in one band at a time. all that you are doing
    is telling it which bands to search, it will in fact stop searcihng
    as soon as it finds a carrier it can register with unless you have set
    a preferred carrier, then it will stop searching as soon as it finds
    that carrier and registers with it. In theory the channel number does
    allow a band switch at a handoff for 900/1800, don't know if the
    channel numbering in 850/1900 will work however. I don't know of any
    carriers who actually do band switch at handoff however.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    In article <slrnddq5ji.l0v.soruk@zeskia.int.eridani.co.uk>, Soruk wrote:
    > Does anyone know if using "Automatic" to listen on all 4 bands uses more
    > power than having it set for 900/1800 (and switching it when I'm in
    > USA/Canada)?

    Very little. It only effects the phone when you first turn it on,
    ask it to scan or change networks and when it looses the signal and
    can't pick it up again on the same frequency.

    At those times, the phone scans looking for active cells that it can
    talk to. When it finds one it tries to register. Setting the phone to
    automatic only widens the frequency ranges it searchs. The search is
    a receive only function so it uses little power.

    The reason it has the manual switching is for regulatory approval. While in
    reality a GSM phone will not transmit until it has found a GSM cell,
    some regulatory agencies want devices that only transmit in the
    band they are allocated.

    You might as well leave it in automatic.

    Who knows, there once was a GSM 900 cell in the U.S. for a week, maybe
    you'll find another.

    Geoff.

    --
    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM
    IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
    VoN Skype: mendelsonfamily. Looking for work as a CTO or consultant in
    handheld gaming, large systems development, handheld device construction, etc.
    Support amateur (ham) radio, boycott Google!!!

    I always leave it in auto. For example: On a recent cruise, my brother
    who also has a V551 as I do, could not pick up a signal on one of the
    providers, while I can roam on both of them (Digicel & C&W). Well,
    Digicel is GSM 900 and he had his phone set on 850/1900. Just leave the
    thing on Auto.

    --
    mrcamp
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:51:29 -0700, matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net> wrote:

    >>Does anyone know if using "Automatic" to listen on all 4 bands uses more
    >>power than having it set for 900/1800 (and switching it when I'm in
    >>USA/Canada)?
    >The phone only operates in one band at a time. all that you are doing
    >is telling it which bands to search, it will in fact stop searcihng
    >as soon as it finds a carrier it can register with unless you have set
    >a preferred carrier, then it will stop searching as soon as it finds
    >that carrier and registers with it. In theory the channel number does
    >allow a band switch at a handoff for 900/1800, don't know if the
    >channel numbering in 850/1900 will work however. I don't know of any
    >carriers who actually do band switch at handoff however.

    Thank you (and to the other poster who replied). In the UK O2 (formerly
    Cellnet) and Vodafone operate primarily on 900MHz with some localised
    coverage on 1800MHz where capacity is an issue. They seem to have no
    difficulty with handing over a call from a 900MHz cell to an 1800MHz one.

    Orange and T-Mobile only operate on 1800MHz.

    --
    -- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
    Eridani Star System

    MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk/
    Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.mailmeanywhere.com/
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, at 18:51:29 [GMT -0700] (11:51:29 Wednesday, 20 July
    2005 where I live) "matt weber" wrote:

    > I don't know of any
    > carriers who actually do band switch at handoff however.

    Happens extensively in Australia. For instance Telstra (or "Tel$tra")
    "hides" the 1800 band and hands over to that band if need be.

    --
    Try? Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    In article <ocbrd194654176i9ebtur5r83s8he91vad@4ax.com>, matt weber wrote:

    > that carrier and registers with it. In theory the channel number does
    > allow a band switch at a handoff for 900/1800, don't know if the
    > channel numbering in 850/1900 will work however. I don't know of any
    > carriers who actually do band switch at handoff however.

    Orange Israel has both a 900 and 1800 mHz network. Their 3g offering is
    1800mHz only, but there is no reason they could not switch at hand off
    for regular phones. They have never sold 1800 mHz only phones, only
    900mHz and multiband, usually 900/1800mHz ones.

    Geoff.

    --
    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM
    IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
    VoN Skype: mendelsonfamily. Looking for work as a CTO or consultant in
    handheld gaming, large systems development, handheld device construction, etc.
    Support amateur (ham) radio, boycott Google!!!

GSM Motorola