question about Motorola Timeport P7389

Last response: in Technologies
July 15, 2005 12:05:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
Band."

Trying out the phone here in the United States (it is roaming on a
Voicestream band), I cannot get the "change band" option to appear.
Under "Network Selection," there are options for "Available Networks,"
"Network Search," "Preferred Networks," and "Find New Network," but
nothing that says "Change Band."

Does anyone know if this would be a network-related feature that will
show up when I am in the UK? Or is the phone likely to be defective?

Thanks very much.

--
George Johnson
johnson AT santafe DOT edu

More about : question motorola timeport p7389

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:04:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:05:50 -0600, George Johnson
<see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:

>I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
>month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
>instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
>scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
>Band."
>
> Trying out the phone here in the United States (it is roaming on a
>Voicestream band), I cannot get the "change band" option to appear.
>Under "Network Selection," there are options for "Available Networks,"
>"Network Search," "Preferred Networks," and "Find New Network," but
>nothing that says "Change Band."
>
> Does anyone know if this would be a network-related feature that will
>show up when I am in the UK? Or is the phone likely to be defective?
>

> Thanks very much.
The question is the source on the P7389. In the 'branding', the
ability to change bands may have been removed. I know on unlocked
phones it works, because I used mine all over the world before I
retired it.

The other possiblity is that it buried in either find new network, or
network search. As I recall there are 3 settings, 900Mhz only,
900/1800Mhz, and 1900Mhz.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:09:29 PM

In alt.cellular.gsm George Johnson <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:

> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
> Band."

This will likely happen automatically, I've never had a tri-band
phone that required manual intervention like that. They scan for any
frequency they can find service on and use that.

> Trying out the phone here in the United States (it is roaming on a
> Voicestream band), I cannot get the "change band" option to appear.
> Under "Network Selection," there are options for "Available Networks,"
> "Network Search," "Preferred Networks," and "Find New Network," but
> nothing that says "Change Band."

It probably doesn't give you the option because, out of the
three frequencies the phone will do, there is only one in the US it will
work on. It doesn't see any other networks available besides the one
you're on. If the phone radio works here, it's highly unlikely that the
radio is broken only for the other two (European) frequencies, don't
worry about it.
July 15, 2005 11:09:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:09:29 +0000 (UTC), "B.M. Wright"
<bmwright@xmission.com> wrote:

>In alt.cellular.gsm George Johnson <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:
>
>> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
>> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
>> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
>> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
>> Band."
>
> This will likely happen automatically, I've never had a tri-band
>phone that required manual intervention like that. They scan for any
>frequency they can find service on and use that.
You obviously haven't owned a Motorola Phone. Ericsson phones will
search, Motorola TimePorts don't!
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 12:00:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

In article <db91l9$re8$1@news.xmission.com>,
B.M. Wright <bmwright@xmission.com> wrote:
>In alt.cellular.gsm George Johnson <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:
>
>> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
>> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
>> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
>> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
>> Band."
>
> This will likely happen automatically, I've never had a tri-band
>phone that required manual intervention like that. They scan for any
>frequency they can find service on and use that.

Phones of that vintage most definitely did require intervention.
On my old P280 (the successor to the P7389) you had a "network setup"
menu in which you had to choose between 1900 and 900/1800.

It was only with the next generation (280i) that there was an "automatic"
bandswitch mode which was the default.

If the "network setup" is missing from his menus, it may be a
customization requested by the carrier that issued the phone.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 12:00:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

Thank you both very much. I bought this from a phone store on the Web.
They described it as a three-band "world phone," and didn't say
anything about its being used. I was a little surprised when I received
it and found it branded as an AT&T. It has been unlocked though -- I
can roam in the U.S. with a Virgin Mobile sim card. But maybe it's not
going to work on the other bands. If AT&T had requested a modification
would that likely involve the firmware?

--
George Johnson
johnson AT santafe DOT edu

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

If you see only 1900band, then it was pre-programmed that way. When the 7389
was originally manufactured, there were single band and triband models.

I suspect you purchased a single band model unfortunately manufactured
primarily for Tmobile USA (Omnipoint/Voicestream back then) and a few AT&T
systems as they started to roll out GSM.

Motorola charged a significantly higher fee for Triband vs. single band
models as the technlogy was still new then.

So its not defective but in all likelihood will not function outside the
USA. Hope you can get a refund.

--
Steve
"George Johnson" <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote in message

> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
> Band."
>
> Trying out the phone here in the United States (it is roaming on a
> Voicestream band), I cannot get the "change band" option to appear.
> Under "Network Selection," there are options for "Available Networks,"
> "Network Search," "Preferred Networks," and "Find New Network," but
> nothing that says "Change Band."
>
> Does anyone know if this would be a network-related feature that will
> show up when I am in the UK? Or is the phone likely to be defective?
>

> Thanks very much.
>
> --
> George Johnson
> johnson AT santafe DOT edu
> http://talaya.net
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 5:55:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

In article <nOZBe.11354$aY6.4732@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Steve <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:

> If you see only 1900band, then it was pre-programmed that way. When the 7389
> was originally manufactured, there were single band and triband models.
>
> I suspect you purchased a single band model unfortunately manufactured
> primarily for Tmobile USA (Omnipoint/Voicestream back then) and a few AT&T
> systems as they started to roll out GSM.

Thank you very much. That makes good sense. I have also since heard
from Motorola, which confirmed that a triband world phone should be
displaying the "change band" option. I've sent an email to the seller
requesting a refund.

--
George Johnson
johnson AT santafe DOT edu

I do not think they can remove the ability to change bands. That makes
not sense! I use this phone briefly a while back. You have to change
the band manually under the "network selection" menu. There should be
an option to change bands. Currently the 1900 band will have a
checkmark next to it. Use the up/down menu button to select the
900/1800 band when you get to UK.

Look very well. Here is an excerpt from the manual:

Change Band
The country where you purchased your phone determines the
default band that it uses. Phones purchased in the USA default to
the GSM 1900 band. Phones purchased elsewhere normally
default to the GSM 900/1800 band. When you travel abroad, you
must remember to change to an appropriate band.
Use this option to change the band of operation for your phone.
The country where you purchased your phone also determines
which of the following options are available:
• GSM 900/1800 (referred to as 900/1800)
• GSM 1900 (referred to as 1900)
When you select Change Band, your phone prompts you to
Select Band. Press O and then use the ª key to scroll
through the options. Press O to select the band you require.
When you select a new band, your phone displays the
confirmation message Changed to XXX. and then automatically
searches all the available networks.
Your phone then attempts to register with a preferred network
within the selected band.
If you re-select the currently selected band, the confirmation
message still appears but the band is not changed and the phone
does not attempt to register with any other network.
When selected, this option will scan to see which networks are
operating in your current location. When the scan is complete,
press the ª key to scroll through the list. When you see a
network you wish to register with or store in your preferred list,
press the O key. You will now enter the Register Now and
Make Preferred sub-menu.

--
mrcamp
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

In article <dba04f$f32$1@news.xmission.com>, B.M. Wright
<bmwright@xmission.xmission.com> wrote:

> I'd recommend a Sony Ericsson T39m

Thanks a lot. I'll check that out.

George

--
George Johnson
johnson AT santafe DOT edu

"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
news:D b94kt$oqo$1@reader2.panix.com...
> If the "network setup" is missing from his menus, it may be a
> customization requested by the carrier that issued the phone.

It may also be that he was sold a single-band look-alike. The voice of
experience is speaking here. I got burned on one of those. Check the numbers
on the tag under the battery. You may have just been taken.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

In article <150720050805500298%see.address@bottom.to.reply>,
George Johnson wrote:

> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
> Band."

You might want to look at the Motorola C380 (or C381 in some places).
It is a triband 900/1800/1900 phone with a color screen, USB port
(for use as a modem or to manage your phone book or ringtones),
color screen etc.

My wife just got one here from Orange Israel and it works pretty well.

She could not get an English manual from them and while I was searching
for one, I found that you can buy them UNLOCKED from dealers in the
U.S. for about $110 not including cable or software.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

"B.M. Wright" <bmwright@xmission.com> wrote in message
news:D b91l9$re8$1@news.xmission.com...
> In alt.cellular.gsm George Johnson <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:
>
>> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
>> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
>> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
>> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
>> Band."
>
> This will likely happen automatically, I've never had a tri-band
> phone that required manual intervention like that. They scan for any
> frequency they can find service on and use that.

No, it didn't used to happen automatically. My Motorola P280 you had to
change it manually, and even my Razr V3 has settings not to cover both
regions.

Steve
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 7:03:58 PM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:49:53 -0700, Steven de Mena <demenas@comcast.net> wrote:

>"B.M. Wright" <bmwright@xmission.com> wrote in message
>news:D b91l9$re8$1@news.xmission.com...
>> In alt.cellular.gsm George Johnson <see.address@bottom.to.reply> wrote:
>>
>>> I just purchased an unlocked Motorola Timeport P7389 to use later this
>>> month in England with a Virgin sim card. According to the Motorola
>>> instruction manual, when I get to the UK I should change bands by
>>> scrolling through the menu to an item called "Network Selection/Change
>>> Band."
>>
>> This will likely happen automatically, I've never had a tri-band
>> phone that required manual intervention like that. They scan for any
>> frequency they can find service on and use that.
>
>No, it didn't used to happen automatically. My Motorola P280 you had to
>change it manually, and even my Razr V3 has settings not to cover both
>regions.

My L7089, T250 and T280 all required manual switching. My V500 and V545
can be switched to one of 900/1800, 850/1900 or "Automatic".

Does anyone know if using "Automatic" to listen on all 4 bands uses more
power than having it set for 900/1800 (and switching it when I'm in
USA/Canada)?

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System

MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk/
Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.mailmeanywhere.com/
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:51:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

>Does anyone know if using "Automatic" to listen on all 4 bands uses more
>power than having it set for 900/1800 (and switching it when I'm in
>USA/Canada)?
The phone only operates in one band at a time. all that you are doing
is telling it which bands to search, it will in fact stop searcihng
as soon as it finds a carrier it can register with unless you have set
a preferred carrier, then it will stop searching as soon as it finds
that carrier and registers with it. In theory the channel number does
allow a band switch at a handoff for 900/1800, don't know if the
channel numbering in 850/1900 will work however. I don't know of any
carriers who actually do band switch at handoff however.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:26:01 AM

In article <slrnddq5ji.l0v.soruk@zeskia.int.eridani.co.uk>, Soruk wrote:
> Does anyone know if using "Automatic" to listen on all 4 bands uses more
> power than having it set for 900/1800 (and switching it when I'm in
> USA/Canada)?

Very little. It only effects the phone when you first turn it on,
ask it to scan or change networks and when it looses the signal and
can't pick it up again on the same frequency.

At those times, the phone scans looking for active cells that it can
talk to. When it finds one it tries to register. Setting the phone to
automatic only widens the frequency ranges it searchs. The search is
a receive only function so it uses little power.

The reason it has the manual switching is for regulatory approval. While in
reality a GSM phone will not transmit until it has found a GSM cell,
some regulatory agencies want devices that only transmit in the
band they are allocated.

You might as well leave it in automatic.

Who knows, there once was a GSM 900 cell in the U.S. for a week, maybe
you'll find another.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
VoN Skype: mendelsonfamily. Looking for work as a CTO or consultant in
handheld gaming, large systems development, handheld device construction, etc.
Support amateur (ham) radio, boycott Google!!!
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:27:10 AM

I always leave it in auto. For example: On a recent cruise, my brother
who also has a V551 as I do, could not pick up a signal on one of the
providers, while I can roam on both of them (Digicel & C&W). Well,
Digicel is GSM 900 and he had his phone set on 850/1900. Just leave the
thing on Auto.

--
mrcamp
Anonymous

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:51:29 -0700, matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net> wrote:

>>Does anyone know if using "Automatic" to listen on all 4 bands uses more
>>power than having it set for 900/1800 (and switching it when I'm in
>>USA/Canada)?
>The phone only operates in one band at a time. all that you are doing
>is telling it which bands to search, it will in fact stop searcihng
>as soon as it finds a carrier it can register with unless you have set
>a preferred carrier, then it will stop searching as soon as it finds
>that carrier and registers with it. In theory the channel number does
>allow a band switch at a handoff for 900/1800, don't know if the
>channel numbering in 850/1900 will work however. I don't know of any
>carriers who actually do band switch at handoff however.

Thank you (and to the other poster who replied). In the UK O2 (formerly
Cellnet) and Vodafone operate primarily on 900MHz with some localised
coverage on 1800MHz where capacity is an issue. They seem to have no
difficulty with handing over a call from a 900MHz cell to an 1800MHz one.

Orange and T-Mobile only operate on 1800MHz.

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System

MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk/
Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.mailmeanywhere.com/
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:28:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, at 18:51:29 [GMT -0700] (11:51:29 Wednesday, 20 July
2005 where I live) "matt weber" wrote:

> I don't know of any
> carriers who actually do band switch at handoff however.

Happens extensively in Australia. For instance Telstra (or "Tel$tra")
"hides" the 1800 band and hands over to that band if need be.

--
Try? Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Anonymous

In article <ocbrd194654176i9ebtur5r83s8he91vad@4ax.com>, matt weber wrote:

> that carrier and registers with it. In theory the channel number does
> allow a band switch at a handoff for 900/1800, don't know if the
> channel numbering in 850/1900 will work however. I don't know of any
> carriers who actually do band switch at handoff however.

Orange Israel has both a 900 and 1800 mHz network. Their 3g offering is
1800mHz only, but there is no reason they could not switch at hand off
for regular phones. They have never sold 1800 mHz only phones, only
900mHz and multiband, usually 900/1800mHz ones.

Geoff.

--
!