Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Netgear router and mifi 2200

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 8, 2011 11:45:41 PM

I have a similar question about connecting a Netgear WPN824 V3 "Rangemax" to a MIFI 2200. Can anyone give me a step-by-step on how to make the router see the MIFI or the MIFI see the router. The tech support people at Verizon don't have any answers.

Chuck

Best solution

June 9, 2011 4:56:16 AM

I am pretty sure that there is no 3rd party firmware to enable the Netgear to be bridge client or bridge repeater.

don't know enough about the MiFi 2200 but since it is a Modem/router; therefore, believe it will not work for what you trying to accomplish.

here is a website you can look up routers if they can be converted.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
June 9, 2011 1:55:53 PM

It seems you are correct Emerald, the dd-wrt database has nothing on the netgear. Thanks for your help.

Chuck
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2011 4:22:06 PM

Best answer selected by rsolly.
m
l
November 8, 2012 11:11:15 PM

I was able to connect my verizon mifi 2200 to my network by using an old Dell laptop running XP as a gateway. Connecting the mifi direct to the laptop by usb disables the broadcast of the 5 ip addresses. I used windows network setup software selecting "other computers connect to the internet through this computer". Configuring the ip addresses between the laptop and an Asus router was the tricky part and I was fortunate to have a mentor to help me figure it out. I think I set the ip address of the laptop at 192.168.2.1 and the connection to the router at 192.168.2.100. The DNS address was left blank for the laptop and 192.168.2.1 at the router end. The client ip addresses after the router I left dynamic. I was able to connect the ethernet cable from the laptop to the wan port of the router and it worked great with a stable connection until the hard drive on the laptop failed - and it is not worth fixing. Currently I am looking at cablepoint routers which are supposed to support the mifi2200 - however they are quite a bit out of my price range. I was hoping a much cheaper 3g-4g router from TP-link (TL-MR3420) would do the trick but they don't have a bin file for the mifi at this time. It worked good with a USB760 modem.
m
l
November 17, 2012 1:02:58 AM

The Mifi wireless connectivity utilizes a standard 802.11n protocol and is backwards compatible with b and g. I have set additional wireless routers using a wireless internet access adaptor (in this example a Trendnet TEW-647ga) which is basically a wireless adaptor that has a ethernet RJ45 port. Once connectivity is established between the Trendnet and the mifi you can plug a patch cable between the Trendnet adaptor and the router, typically the "internet" or "wan" ethernet port on the router. The Trendnet adaptor has many configuration options (mostly after doing a firmware upgrade) and can be configured as a bridge to the wireless router. The wireless router will then get it's ip address from the mifi and should be configured with it's default gateway and DNS settings to be those of the mifi or the same settings you would see if you checked the properties of a network adaptor on a computer connected to the mifi. Set the ip address of the wireless router to static and within the subnet of the mifi. It is possible to use DHCP on the wireless router but you will need to make sure that the allowable ip range to be assigned, is outside of the range of the mifi DHCP assignment settings. If you plan on connecting wireless devices to the added wireless router then I would suggest setting up a different subnet on the wireless router, than is used by the mifi. The only reason I have ever used a configuration of this type was to connect hard wired PC's or VPN enabled routers to the single source of the internet (mifi). Clear as mud now? LOL... I am an IT tech and have used configurations such as this on several occasions. Mostly to replace slow, unreliable and overpriced satellite internet service with 3G and 4G internet service. Hope this helps...
m
l
!