Fast Ship Xbox Recall Power Cord

man it only took 7-days to get replacement cord.
gets xbox doesnt want to get sued for burning down another
house?

different cord has big head with red/green fuse/switch?
guess it shuts off if plug over amps?

theone

lpage wrote:
> man it only took 7-days to get replacement cord.
> gets xbox doesnt want to get sued for burning down another
> house?
>
> different cord has big head with red/green fuse/switch?
> guess it shuts off if plug over amps?

Just got mine too.....
I actually read something recently where the power plug is a cop-out to
a bigger problem with certain PSUs...

Mike

Splendid

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> lpage wrote:
> > man it only took 7-days to get replacement cord.
> > gets xbox doesnt want to get sued for burning down another
> > house?
> >
> > different cord has big head with red/green fuse/switch?
> > guess it shuts off if plug over amps?
>
> Just got mine too.....
> I actually read something recently where the power plug is a cop-out to
> a bigger problem with certain PSUs...

If you flip through the little manual that came with the cord, that is the
disctinct impression you're left with. Basically, if the cord detects that
the PSU is about the blow, the breaker trips, stopping it from going up in
flames.

Jordan

Dan wrote:
> It has a hvge GFI on it. Not the most esthetically pleasing, I might
add. I
> can't even plvg it into my powerbar since it takes vp atleast
3ovtlets!

Sovnds like something ovt of the old Soviet Union. Anyone have pics? I
have an Xbox from lavnch, bvt since I'm not even svre if I'm vsing the
original power cord I didn't bother getting the new one. Probably
shovld, hvh?

- Jordan

Do the newer XBoxes uses the new style power cord? I read that the newer
units don't require the power cord be upgraded. Its interesting if they
use a regular power cord, definately suggests something to me that
something else is wrong.

Mike wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>lpage wrote:
>>
>>>man it only took 7-days to get replacement cord.
>>>gets xbox doesnt want to get sued for burning down another
>>>house?
>>>
>>>different cord has big head with red/green fuse/switch?
>>>guess it shuts off if plug over amps?
>>
>>Just got mine too.....
>>I actually read something recently where the power plug is a cop-out to
>>a bigger problem with certain PSUs...
>

> If you flip through the little manual that came with the cord, that is the
> disctinct impression you're left with. Basically, if the cord detects that
> the PSU is about the blow, the breaker trips, stopping it from going up in
> flames.

Thoth

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

"Michael Dauria" <mdauria@BeeYou.edu> wrote in message
> Do the newer XBoxes uses the new style power cord? I read that the newer
> units don't require the power cord be upgraded. Its interesting if they
> use a regular power cord, definately suggests something to me that
> something else is wrong.

That's an excellent point. I was wondering what I was going to do because I
have a launch powercord attached to my replacement Xbox. I expect I'm not
the only one, yet MS isn't worried about us at all.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It has a huge GFI on it. Not the most esthetically pleasing, I might add. I
can't even plug it into my powerbar since it takes up atleast 3outlets!

Dan <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:
> It has a huge GFI on it. Not the most esthetically pleasing, I might add. I
> can't even plug it into my powerbar since it takes up atleast 3outlets!

You can get those "outlet saver" cords, which is just a short extension
cord that allows you to use "wall wart" style adapaters without taking up
extra space on your power strip.

theone

Dan wrote:
> It has a huge GFI on it. Not the most esthetically pleasing, I might add. I
> can't even plug it into my powerbar since it takes up atleast 3outlets!
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>lpage wrote:
>>
>>>man it only took 7-days to get replacement cord.
>>>gets xbox doesnt want to get sued for burning down another
>>>house?
>>>
>>>different cord has big head with red/green fuse/switch?
>>>guess it shuts off if plug over amps?
>>
>>Just got mine too.....
>>I actually read something recently where the power plug is a cop-out to a
>>bigger problem with certain PSUs...

that's an overstatement. Its narrow so that it doesn't even block one
xtra outlet.

theone

Dan wrote:
> It has a huge GFI on it. Not the most esthetically pleasing, I might add. I
> can't even plug it into my powerbar since it takes up atleast 3outlets!
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>lpage wrote:
>>
>>>man it only took 7-days to get replacement cord.
>>>gets xbox doesnt want to get sued for burning down another
>>>house?
>>>
>>>different cord has big head with red/green fuse/switch?
>>>guess it shuts off if plug over amps?
>>
>>Just got mine too.....
>>I actually read something recently where the power plug is a cop-out to a
>>bigger problem with certain PSUs...

unless of course you have one of those powerstrips that have the prongs
perpendicular to the long length side.....I hate those....

Michael Dauria <mdauria@beeyou.edu> wrote:
> Do the newer XBoxes uses the new style power cord? I read that the newer
> units don't require the power cord be upgraded. Its interesting if they
> use a regular power cord, definately suggests something to me that
> something else is wrong.

Since the cord has a circuit breaker in it, it sounds to me like the
problem was with the power supply on the older units. Shipping a new cord
is an easier/cheaper alternative to having all 14mil people ship their
XBox some place to have the power supply replaced. I bet if you compared
an old unit to a newer unit, you'd see that the power supply is different,
which is why the newer units don't need a new cord.

jlc

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Michael Dauria <mdauria@beeyou.edu> wrote:
>> Do the newer XBoxes uses the new style power cord? I read that the newer
>> units don't require the power cord be upgraded. Its interesting if they
>> use a regular power cord, definately suggests something to me that
>> something else is wrong.

I have a newer Xbox and all my cord has on it is a small 2" cylinder in the
cord at the end where it plugs into the unit. Nothing like the beast of a
thing on the ones just shipped out. I think this whole recall thing is going
to become a much bigger problem for MS once consumers realize it's not the
cord at all that's the problem but the PSU inside the Xbox. I know if I
owned an older unit I'd be pissed to have to use that huge cord, and always
be worried that my PSU could fry at anytime. JLC

theone

JLC wrote:
> "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
>
>>Michael Dauria <mdauria@beeyou.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>Do the newer XBoxes uses the new style power cord? I read that the newer
>>>units don't require the power cord be upgraded. Its interesting if they
>>>use a regular power cord, definately suggests something to me that
>>>something else is wrong.
>>

> I have a newer Xbox and all my cord has on it is a small 2" cylinder in the
> cord at the end where it plugs into the unit. Nothing like the beast of a
> thing on the ones just shipped out. I think this whole recall thing is going
> to become a much bigger problem for MS once consumers realize it's not the
> cord at all that's the problem but the PSU inside the Xbox. I know if I
> owned an older unit I'd be pissed to have to use that huge cord, and always
> be worried that my PSU could fry at anytime. JLC

Talk about being obsessive - compulsive. Oh yes! I'm terrified every
time I turn my xbox on now!

I ordered (and received) that cord and I think everyone is over doing
this whole thing. Sure they're (MS) trying to mask a potentially bigger
problem. Big Deal. Nothing any other company wouldn't do. I could've
cared less about the potential of fire with the old cord. I just ordered
one so that I wouldn't have to unplug my box from the back of my
entertainment center every time I play games in the bedroom. What are
the odds? 1 in 10,000 I believe, after a surge and if you box has been
on for 5 days straight?
Oh yeah, you have to be standing on one leg at the time, lol. And that
big box of a circuit breaker everyone keeps whining about isn't taking
up one extra slot on my power cord....

"Ewwwwww, I'm glad I've got a newer box so I don't have to deal with
that". Can you people hear yourselves? If you don't care less, there is
something wrong with you...geeezzz, I wonder what the odds are that
tomorrow I'll be hit by a commuter train on my way to work; probably
greater than the xbox catching on fire.

> JLC wrote:
> > "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message

> > I have a newer Xbox and all my cord has on it is a small 2" cylinder in
the
> > cord at the end where it plugs into the unit. Nothing like the beast of
> > thing on the ones just shipped out. I think this whole recall thing is
going
> > to become a much bigger problem for MS once consumers realize it's not
the
> > cord at all that's the problem but the PSU inside the Xbox. I know if I
> > owned an older unit I'd be pissed to have to use that huge cord, and
always
> > be worried that my PSU could fry at anytime. JLC
>
> Talk about being obsessive - compulsive. Oh yes! I'm terrified every
> time I turn my xbox on now!
> >

> I ordered (and received) that cord and I think everyone is over doing
> this whole thing. Sure they're (MS) trying to mask a potentially bigger
> problem. Big Deal. Nothing any other company wouldn't do. I could've
> cared less about the potential of fire with the old cord. I just ordered
> one so that I wouldn't have to unplug my box from the back of my
> entertainment center every time I play games in the bedroom. What are
> the odds? 1 in 10,000 I believe, after a surge and if you box has been
> on for 5 days straight?
> Oh yeah, you have to be standing on one leg at the time, lol. And that
> big box of a circuit breaker everyone keeps whining about isn't taking
> up one extra slot on my power cord....
>

> "Ewwwwww, I'm glad I've got a newer box so I don't have to deal with
> that". Can you people hear yourselves? If you don't care less, there is
> something wrong with you...geeezzz, I wonder what the odds are that
> tomorrow I'll be hit by a commuter train on my way to work; probably
> greater than the xbox catching on fire.

I don't think it's a circuit breaker. It's probably an RFC choke used to
reduce (Radio Frequency )noise from the AC.

theone

Erik Meltzer wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>JLC wrote:
>>
>>>"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message

> newer

>>>I have a newer Xbox and all my cord has on it is a small 2" cylinder in
>
> the
>
>>>cord at the end where it plugs into the unit. Nothing like the beast of

>>>thing on the ones just shipped out. I think this whole recall thing is
>
> going
>
>>>to become a much bigger problem for MS once consumers realize it's not
>
> the
>
>>>cord at all that's the problem but the PSU inside the Xbox. I know if I
>>>owned an older unit I'd be pissed to have to use that huge cord, and
>
> always
>
>>>be worried that my PSU could fry at anytime. JLC
>>
>>Talk about being obsessive - compulsive. Oh yes! I'm terrified every
>>time I turn my xbox on now!
>>

>>I ordered (and received) that cord and I think everyone is over doing
>>this whole thing. Sure they're (MS) trying to mask a potentially bigger
>>problem. Big Deal. Nothing any other company wouldn't do. I could've
>>cared less about the potential of fire with the old cord. I just ordered
>>one so that I wouldn't have to unplug my box from the back of my
>>entertainment center every time I play games in the bedroom. What are
>>the odds? 1 in 10,000 I believe, after a surge and if you box has been
>>on for 5 days straight?
>>Oh yeah, you have to be standing on one leg at the time, lol. And that
>>big box of a circuit breaker everyone keeps whining about isn't taking
>>up one extra slot on my power cord....
>>

>>"Ewwwwww, I'm glad I've got a newer box so I don't have to deal with
>>that". Can you people hear yourselves? If you don't care less, there is
>>something wrong with you...geeezzz, I wonder what the odds are that
>>tomorrow I'll be hit by a commuter train on my way to work; probably
>>greater than the xbox catching on fire.
>

> I don't think it's a circuit breaker. It's probably an RFC choke used to
> reduce (Radio Frequency )noise from the AC.

ok, I'm no electrician. you get my point though right...

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:05:20 GMT, theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com>
wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>> It has a huge GFI on it. Not the most esthetically pleasing, I might add. I
>> can't even plug it into my powerbar since it takes up atleast 3outlets!
>>
>that's an overstatement. Its narrow so that it doesn't even block one
>xtra outlet.

Not sure what Dan is talking about, the replacement fit right into the
middle of my full powerstrip where my old one was plugged in.

In article <2nsg2118bgmeonhe548ka6ol67ngmqh5hv@4ax.com>,
The Other John <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:05:20 GMT, theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Dan wrote:
>>> It has a huge GFI on it. Not the most esthetically pleasing, I might add. I
>>> can't even plug it into my powerbar since it takes up atleast 3outlets!
>>>
>>that's an overstatement. Its narrow so that it doesn't even block one
>>xtra outlet.
>
>Not sure what Dan is talking about, the replacement fit right into the
>middle of my full powerstrip where my old one was plugged in.

There are actually 2 or 3 different power cords that are being sent
out depending on what country you are from and when your console was
manufactured.

Some, have a huge plug with a circuit break built in.

US big plug:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEpAEAylAluZlwSlOJ.php

US little plug:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEpAFyyVlkurCIUoEV.php

UK big plug:
http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/4/xbox-powerchord/uk.jpg

(not sure if there are others)

Vin

It's probably the PSU. The new cord is probably an "Arc Fault Circuit
Interupter" or AFCI. It will trip when The PSU (or whatever) starts to
fail and short out. Sine this would not be a hard short, it would not
throw the breaker in the breaker panel, thus the xbox could burn your
house down without the AFCI plug.

theone

Vineet Gossain wrote:
> In article <2nsg2118bgmeonhe548ka6ol67ngmqh5hv@4ax.com>,
> The Other John <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:05:20 GMT, theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com>
>>wrote:

>>>that's an overstatement. Its narrow so that it doesn't even block one
>>>xtra outlet.
>>
>>Not sure what Dan is talking about, the replacement fit right into the
>>middle of my full powerstrip where my old one was plugged in.
>

> There are actually 2 or 3 different power cords that are being sent
> out depending on what country you are from and when your console was
> manufactured.
>
> Some, have a huge plug with a circuit break built in.
>
> US big plug:
> http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEpAEAylAluZlwSlOJ.php
>
> US little plug:
> http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEpAFyyVlkurCIUoEV.php
>
> UK big plug:
> http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/4/xbox-powerchord/uk.jpg
>
> (not sure if there are others)
>
> Vin

yup, and I'm referring to the U.S. big plug, the only one that he could
be referring to with regard to the wall outlet. They designed it so as
not to take up more than one spot on a power strip.It's narrower than a
standard plug of this type.