GSM phones automatically setting the time

Last response: in Technologies
July 15, 2005 1:32:31 PM

I've used my phone in several countries, but not until I landed in the USA
did it offer to update the time to the local time zone. While in the USA,
each time I moved to a new time zone, the phone let me know and offered to
update the time again.

Why doesn't this happen in other places? It seems like a very helpful
feature.

miguel
July 15, 2005 10:05:20 PM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:32:31 -0500, mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel Cruz)
wrote:

>I've used my phone in several countries, but not until I landed in the USA
>did it offer to update the time to the local time zone. While in the USA,
>each time I moved to a new time zone, the phone let me know and offered to
>update the time again.
>
>Why doesn't this happen in other places? It seems like a very helpful
>feature.
>
>miguel
the phone has to support the feature, and the service provider has to
haver it. Outside the USA, it seems to be rare among the service
providers
July 15, 2005 10:47:27 PM

wrote:

>I've used my phone in several countries, but not until I landed in the USA
>did it offer to update the time to the local time zone. While in the USA,
>each time I moved to a new time zone, the phone let me know and offered to
>update the time again.
>
>Why doesn't this happen in other places? It seems like a very helpful
>feature.

That feature is called NITZ (network initiated time zone.) It is not
in the original GSM spec and can be optionally used. In the US
cingular/AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile use it. T-Mobile was introducing
NITZ gradually throughout their system. I've not found NITZ in use in
Europe or in Israel.

- -
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:16:38 PM

matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net> wrote:

> the phone has to support the feature, and the service provider
> has to haver it.

Most phones (if not all) do support NITZ, most service providers
don't.

M.
!