GSM phones automatically setting the time

I've used my phone in several countries, but not until I landed in the USA
did it offer to update the time to the local time zone. While in the USA,
each time I moved to a new time zone, the phone let me know and offered to
update the time again.

Why doesn't this happen in other places? It seems like a very helpful
feature.

miguel
More about phones automatically setting time

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:32:31 -0500, mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel Cruz)
    wrote:

    >I've used my phone in several countries, but not until I landed in the USA
    >did it offer to update the time to the local time zone. While in the USA,
    >each time I moved to a new time zone, the phone let me know and offered to
    >update the time again.
    >
    >Why doesn't this happen in other places? It seems like a very helpful
    >feature.
    >
    >miguel
    the phone has to support the feature, and the service provider has to
    haver it. Outside the USA, it seems to be rare among the service
    providers

    wrote:

    >I've used my phone in several countries, but not until I landed in the USA
    >did it offer to update the time to the local time zone. While in the USA,
    >each time I moved to a new time zone, the phone let me know and offered to
    >update the time again.
    >
    >Why doesn't this happen in other places? It seems like a very helpful
    >feature.

    That feature is called NITZ (network initiated time zone.) It is not
    in the original GSM spec and can be optionally used. In the US
    cingular/AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile use it. T-Mobile was introducing
    NITZ gradually throughout their system. I've not found NITZ in use in
    Europe or in Israel.

    - -

    matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net> wrote:

    > the phone has to support the feature, and the service provider
    > has to haver it.

    Most phones (if not all) do support NITZ, most service providers
    don't.

    M.

GSM Phones