Sign in with
Your question

Modems & Routers

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 9, 2011 1:11:52 AM

Hello,
I just got Qwest high speed internet, as well as Directv w/ HD DVR. I was wondering what type of modem & router you all recommend for my home setup. I've researched 100s of reviews and have not been able to find any products that don't have major issues. I thought about going with separate products since the ranges on the modem/router combos seem to lack whole house coverage and some having firmware issues. Any recommendations???

More about : modems routers

June 9, 2011 4:30:45 AM

before you pick a modem you should find out from Qwest if they have any requirements for DSL modems.

router wise personally I like the Linksys E2000 or the Linksys E3000 series, and Netgear 3700.
June 9, 2011 6:00:17 PM

Emerald said:
before you pick a modem you should find out from Qwest if they have any requirements for DSL modems.

router wise personally I like the Linksys E2000 or the Linksys E3000 series, and Netgear 3700.

Emerald,
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate the input. I spoke with Qwest today & they stated i should go with either

Actiontec 300 Mbps Wireless-N DSL Modem Router (GT784WN) or

Actiontec GT724WGR Universally Compatible 4-port ADSL Wireless Gateway.

Both have good reviews so not sure which one to go with. I'm going to be utilizing a separate router, so this will be only used as a modem.

The router I was looking at is the ASUS Black Diamond Dual Band Processor, Hardware NAT, 5 Internal Antennas, Fast Gigabit Ethernet and 128MB DDR2 Wireless Router (RT-N56U), it has excellent reviews.

My new question would be, how do I set up the Actiontec modem/router to be used strictly for a modem and hooking up the ASUS router to the modem as the primary router? I understand this entails possibly adjusting the IP addresses if needed, as well as DNS....is this correct?

I appreciate all the insight, not quite tech savvy yet.
Moe
!